The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-04-2013, 05:42 AM
RE: The elegant nature of science
"This new system is called Position Based Fluids (pdf), and it works off a previously developed model called Position Based Dynamics. The new algorithm reduces water to a large series of small particles that adhere to a strict set of rules and conditions, including the influence of artificial pressure (to improve particle distribution), the creation of surface tension (to create those gorgeous splashes), and even gradual energy loss. It can even account for the injection of new energy back into the fluid (called vorticity confinement)."

This just does something to my non-existent soul I really can't explain... Must be the ancestral tetrapod in me, begging to return to the water...

@Full Circle: What a way to die? Squabbling to death with a bunch of insecure clowns over whose is bigger, has the prettiest colours and the highest voltage? Oh well, there's no accounting for taste, I guess...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
25-04-2013, 09:27 PM
much ado about nothing

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
25-04-2013, 09:44 PM
(25-04-2013 05:42 AM)Vera Wrote:  "This new system is called Position Based Fluids (pdf), and it works off a previously developed model called Position Based Dynamics. The new algorithm reduces water to a large series of small particles that adhere to a strict set of rules and conditions, including the influence of artificial pressure (to improve particle distribution), the creation of surface tension (to create those gorgeous splashes), and even gradual energy loss. It can even account for the injection of new energy back into the fluid (called vorticity confinement)."

This just does something to my non-existent soul I really can't explain... Must be the ancestral tetrapod in me, begging to return to the water...

@Full Circle: What a way to die? Squabbling to death with a bunch of insecure clowns over whose is bigger, has the prettiest colours and the highest voltage? Oh well, there's no accounting for taste, I guess...

So these videos are created by algorithms to simulate the movement of water...I can think of only two applications, the movie industry and possibly watercraft design. Oh, and a third - to tickle your non-exsitent soul. I get a much stronger reaction by actually jumping into the ocean Yes

BTW who is squabbling?

I suppose you haven't heard the one about the man who takes a woman to bed for the first time? He undresses and when she sees his small member she points to it and mockingly asks "who do you think you're going to please with that?"
Without missing a beat the man responds "me, of course". Laughat

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
26-04-2013, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2013 02:25 AM by Vera.)
(25-04-2013 09:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  So these videos are created by algorithms to simulate the movement of water...I can think of only two applications, the movie industry and possibly watercraft design. Oh, and a third - to tickle your non-exsitent soul. I get a much stronger reaction by actually jumping into the ocean

Yeah, but I wouldn't very well be able to see the movement of the water, the formation of the waves, etc., if I jumped, would I? Now, if you simply want me to go jump off a cliff, just say so. Dodgy

Quote:BTW who is squabbling?

Men - over whose is the best. Like I said, we don't need the drama. And the joke was so "good", it's as if it was taken straight from one of the stunningly intelligent threads we've been getting lately. Drinking Beverage

Watch as these adorable robots evolve the ability to walk.

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
26-04-2013, 01:13 PM
(25-04-2013 09:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  So these videos are created by algorithms to simulate the movement of water...I can think of only two applications, the movie industry and possibly watercraft design.

Um, hello, VIDEO GAMES !!!!!!

I can imagine it now. Drooling

[Image: giphy.gif]
26-04-2013, 03:14 PM
I remember the theist going, "life ain't possible under the second law of thermodynamics without a creator!!!111!!!" And I go, "life balances entropy. It is tao."

And science goes...

Gwynnies: >1
God: <0

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-04-2013, 02:15 AM
"Ice needles literally spurt out in waves from chunks of ice at a Minnesota Lake in this amazing video. This happens when ice, brittle at the very beginning of spring, hits the temperature when ice turns to water. Suddenly, little bits splinter off, followed by more, until they create landslides of ice needles."

Playing favorites with children can be deadly.

"In eastern bluebird society, fathers favor their sons over their daughters, with brighter-colored sons winning out over their duller brothers, according to a new study. This favoritism has dire consequences for the less loved chicks, which are more likely to end up as crow food."

I'm so gonna tell my parents off now. Oh wait, I actually have a sister, not a brother... Oh man, I guess I'm just inherently unlovable... Or not brightly-coloured enough. Rolleyes

Seriously, though, poor little birdies. Sadcryface

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
30-04-2013, 06:53 AM
(30-04-2013 02:15 AM)Vera Wrote:  "Ice needles literally spurt out in waves from chunks of ice at a Minnesota Lake in this amazing video. This happens when ice, brittle at the very beginning of spring, hits the temperature when ice turns to water. Suddenly, little bits splinter off, followed by more, until they create landslides of ice needles."

Playing favorites with children can be deadly.

"In eastern bluebird society, fathers favor their sons over their daughters, with brighter-colored sons winning out over their duller brothers, according to a new study. This favoritism has dire consequences for the less loved chicks, which are more likely to end up as crow food."

I'm so gonna tell my parents off now. Oh wait, I actually have a sister, not a brother... Oh man, I guess I'm just inherently unlovable... Or not brightly-coloured enough. Rolleyes

Seriously, though, poor little birdies. Sadcryface

Loved the video, never seen that before.

As for the colour part that's why cosmetic companies are so profitable, embellishment has been used by humans for millenia to attract mates, take a look at some of my favorite mascara

[attachment=1359]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
30-04-2013, 07:06 AM
(30-04-2013 06:53 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  As for the colour part that's why cosmetic companies are so profitable, embellishment has been used by humans for millenia to attract mates, take a look at some of my favorite mascara

Well, yellow really isn't my colour. And frankly, more often than not, less is more Angel

Now, this is way too cool: An enormous hurricane raging at Saturn's north pole has an eye 2,000km (1,250mi) across - big enough to cover the UK 12 times over.

There's a link to an earlier article, which talks about a hurricane big enough to cover two-thirds of the Earth! Shocking

[Image: _67318138_67318137.jpg]

30-04-2013, 07:16 AM
(30-04-2013 07:06 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 06:53 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  As for the colour part that's why cosmetic companies are so profitable, embellishment has been used by humans for millenia to attract mates, take a look at some of my favorite mascara

Well, yellow really isn't my colour. And frankly, more often than not, less is more Angel

That's me last Halloween, you'll have to pick out your own colors and pattern Tongue