The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-11-2011, 11:33 AM
The elegant nature of science
I wanted to start a thread where we could post some videos about the beauty of science and nature. There are two videos I want to start off with. Video 1 is simply cool. The second video is a Ted talk that you may recognize as being used in the first video. This is a talk from 2008 by Brian cox about the Large Hadron Collider.

My favorite moments in these videos are 1) The quotes about the universe being composed of 12 particles and 4 forces of nature and 2) the Scientific Creation story that Brian Cox paints. It is beautiful elegant and simple. It nearly brings a tear to my eye when thinking about it.

I must admit to being very emotional at the elegant story that science can tell us about our universe and how we fit in it. I NEVER got this emotional when hearing the biblical story of creation nor the biblical explanations of life, but the beauty of science leaves me in tears.

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
18-11-2011, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2011 12:23 PM by houseofcantor.)
RE: The elegant nature of science
The Bearded Dude calling for a repost:

...cause I "cried like a little bitch" first time I heard that jam. True story. And like the master student says, it's wonder and joy, as opposed to limit and sin.
The story of my creation - kinda - a BBC presentation of four math-types. Just because mathematics ain't science, and science ain't math - can't keep them two apart. Big Grin

Dangerous Knowledge

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like houseofcantor's post
18-11-2011, 12:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOLAGYmUQ...ure=relmfu

How anyone can ever say that a life without religion is empty and meaningless is beyond me. It only demonstrates their ignorance of the true beauty of the universe in which they live.

Evolve
[+] 6 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
18-11-2011, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2011 01:56 PM by houseofcantor.)
(I wuz thinking the bearded dude started out with some formal stuff - but he started out with melodysheep too! Big Grin)

And now for something completely different. A man with three... I mean, amateur science.

Ever hear of the story Flatland?. I don't like it, at all. It offends my mathematical sensibilities. Yet, basically, this is how science works - old hypotheses are upgraded with new hypotheses. Here is your upgrade...

Image a sheet of paper. Three dots are placed at the vertices of an imagined equilateral triangle. Now imagine another piece of paper with a single dot centered on the page. Place this sheet atop the first, and what do you get?

Tetrahedron. Not Flatland. In mathematics, "point" is without dimension - and thus beyond illustration. Yet one can do a youtube search of string theory and extra dimensions, and one will find a bunch of Flatland.

My consideration is the Pure Number hypothesis. The depth of the universe is 13.7 billion years; this translates into approximately 10^18 seconds. Multiply that figure by Planck time to get 5.13x10^61, and there we are.

In the bearded dude's video, one sees Brain Cox pointing to the props on the wall talking about alla that stuff is what Hydrogen comes up with in 13.7 billion years; Pure Number may be an even simpler consideration, that the number above represents everything that exists; and that everything that happened since ever is merely the universal count, interfering with itself.

So go come up the equations, and get yerself a Nobel, scientist! Big Grin

One universe, humans full of duality; and as illustrated by the Standard Model, there seems to be a big difference between 3 and 4. All there is to it. Wink
Man, the master student is fulla sheep today! Big Grin

I guess I gotta be the formal one here. So crank up some S.O.S. - never a bad plan - and spark your wonder. Then wonder about this - holographic universe - which is not entirely different from Pure Number.

Remember, scientist: Critical thinking. The above video is in "conspiracy-theory" format - pay it no mind, as sensationalism sells - from my research, the holographic universe is a sound hypothesis, just waiting for some equations. Wink

Perusing my linky, it is clear the narrator of the second video has agenda - so do we all - but the "soul" is a misnomer and the indication of agency ant the end of 2 is claptrap - the creator is you. Wink

It is presented here not as answer, but to let the questioning begin. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
18-11-2011, 02:19 PM
My last link was from a member of youtube going by the handle secret key activator. Big Grin

That does not mean, put yer tin-foil hat on, that means keep yer critical thinking cap on. Much in that series of vids is food for thought, yet there is also plenty of empty calories included. Tongue

This link comes from that link - these calories will build muscle mass: Geo 600 Wink

18-11-2011, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2011 03:05 PM by kim.)
Once again, my hookup is crap. Wanted to upload some things from my drive, but I'll settle for placing links.

One of my all time favorite's from Phil is called Why Scientists Don't Fear Hell -brilliant!
And then he did this...

I know ... we've all seen it, so I'm putting it up for some who perhaps have not.
Blush And, I never get tired of watching it.

Heart Thanks Phil.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 10 users Like kim's post
18-11-2011, 03:44 PM
(18-11-2011 03:20 PM)kim Wrote:  I know ... we've all seen it, so I'm putting it up for some who perhaps have not.
Blush And, I never get tired of watching it.

Heart Thanks Phil.
Yep. But somehow he wasn't on my sub list! Exclamation

Thanks for correcting my error, atheist. Wink

18-11-2011, 03:44 PM
I can't like your post enough Kim. That video is freaking awesome and is another video that has had a profound impact on my thinking on the universe.

I hope to perpetuate my love for science into the population further, through my teaching. Science and nature are not merely subjects of interest, they are the only subjects that exist. All things occur with the realm of our universe (kind of conceited to call it "ours") and all things behave according to the laws of nature. It is a brilliant concept.

HouseofCantor
Thank you for the links. They are a bit longer and I will need to dedicate a little more time to them to fully grasp what they say. As for the numbers idea, I will have to mull that over some more. A single number as large as the amount of time that has existed or the amount of matter in the universe is so large that I simply cannot conceive of its dimensions. That is why the statement of everything being made up of only 12 particles of matter and 4 forces of nature is so powerful to me. I can see those numbers, I can conceive of their impact on my life and I can imagine the simplicity of that system that can lead to the observed complexity. By no means am I discrediting your evaluation of a single number representing the universe, I simply do not know how to communicate with my own brain about its significance. You obviously can and I applaud that ability.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
18-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Here's a whole place, make me cry tears of joy:

CERN Wink

[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
18-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Amen brother. Go tell it on the collider.

Evolve
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post