The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
23-11-2011, 07:49 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science
(23-11-2011 06:05 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I call Dawkins the prophet 'cause I know it would pull his chain. Big Grin

Now that's a good reason. Wink

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-11-2011, 01:36 AM
This has been mentioned - The Standard Model Lagrangian...

[Image: Standard_Model_Equation.gif]

Yet here's a picture that has yet to run out of words. Wink

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
25-11-2011, 10:57 AM
An impressive sight. All I can see when I look at this is the universe.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
25-11-2011, 01:47 PM
There are those who insist upon grandeur and magnificence; talk about kingdoms in heaven and roads paved with gold, who write libraries of theology just so they themselves can be enthroned next to god...

...and dismiss that image as blaspheme.

When to process that image is to be the mind of the universe and never again something so insignificant, so separate and powerless, as a plaything of an imagined god.

Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened?

How much plainer can it be?

26-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Continuing a trend...

...an act of "random" evolution, from the thoughts above, to the thoughts within, to the thoughts of Lubos, who posted this link in his blog. "Elegance," too, evolves. it would have been more elegant to post all this QM at once...

Yet the Lagrangian is the simplification. As a result of such simplifications and random walks; I have noted a contention with both Lubos and the popularization of science with the first minutes of this video.

That the laws of physics require the sound and the light of the shattered glass to return to the goblet in order for the equations to be reversible. Tongue

26-11-2011, 01:58 PM
It can be summated that the above Lagrangian is everything in life; three days of QM-on-the-brain convinces me that this is the answer to death:

[Image: wave-function.jpg]

The Schrodinger wave function. Now that's elegant. Cool

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Did you see that last post? Sure, it is elegant; sure it is a thing of beauty, but what does it mean? Does it put food on the table? Does it actually relate to the everyday world in a manner the common man can appreciate? And if it does not, can it truly be called elegant?

I'll tell you what is elegant. Last year, some believer posted on another forum his interpretation of the anthropic principle to which this mathematician replied, he did not just go there! Boy, was that fool Smote with the unholy rant, which concluded by saying, not only does the antropic principle thus deny your god of word, it implies my god of number!

This year, we have this:

Richard Carrier is definitely a geek, and definitely not the world's greatest speaker; so if you wanna elegance in action, skip ahead to 34:10. Watch as this naive philosopher gets elevated into super-egoism; more importantly, let us drink a toast to the passing of Kalam. Two separate groups of experts prove my naive philosophy above? Richard Carrier goes from 'conspiracy-theorist' to carrier wave of simple mathematical expression that every Thinking Atheist can use to express religious contention right to extinction? This elegance appeal to you, atheist?

03-12-2011, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2011 06:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-12-2011 07:34 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Did you see that last post? Sure, it is elegant; sure it is a thing of beauty, but what does it mean?

It means we have crazyass tools. It means evolution has resulted in technology capable of influencing, redirecting, or even obsolescing evolution. It means we are god. ... god help us.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Hey, boys and girls! What time is it! It's time to burn the witches!

December 16th, 2012; to usher in the end of time, I'm thinking me and some of my fellow witches are going to gather in Salem, Massachusetts. There we shall bring some tao to the world by the burning of the Christians for their infamy this day. Figuratively, of course. Witches do love. We know what Christians do, and it ain't love as the term is commonly understood.

That is what I'm calling an elegant solution to a lingering problem. Yeah, I'm evil. Prime, USDA Grade A certified. Hitch did not die according to ellenjanuary, therefore I'm not using his death to spread hate; I'm using his life to bring love. You peeps need not understand this contention, I'm all brand new with the strategic planning; and we're just gonna hafta wait and see.

But hate? That's a fucking tool, and I'm a tool-using monkey. There is no hate in my emotion; hate in my logic is a focusing lens, love is the sun. And shit is gonna burn. That's just basic physics.

Now back to the regularly scheduled positive mental attitude, already in progress.

Don't know what kind of geek you are, but I just downloaded a radio podcast from BBC Radio 4 - yeah, me and them fucking 4s - on imaginary numbers.

BBC Podcasts

Man, there is a story worth telling. i. The way they tell it, they have a group of math types on hand to explain stuff; and being math types, they start with 1. How do you count from one to i? With a few thousand years of civilization. Guy on this other forum, tells me; atheism needs something inspirational, art, poetry, music... something epic to give atheists something real. Something like the religious get from something; imaginary.

I'm thinking the artist ellenjanuary just got an unholy commission. One imaginary number, i; versus all the imaginary gods. We already know who wins.

16-12-2011, 12:33 PM
(18-11-2011 03:20 PM)kim Wrote:  Once again, my hookup is crap. Wanted to upload some things from my drive, but I'll settle for placing links.

One of my all time favorite's from Phil is called Why Scientists Don't Fear Hell -brilliant!
And then he did this... http://youtu.be/r6w2M50_Xdk

I know ... we've all seen it, so I'm putting it up for some who perhaps have not.
Blush And, I never get tired of watching it.

Heart Thanks Phil.

Yeah I've saw this video before and I simply love it. Glad you shared it. I watched it 2 more times lol!

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post