The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-12-2014, 08:34 AM
RE: The elegant nature of science
Fish Smell Like the Coral They Eat—Disguise Is New to Science

“This is the first time scientists have discovered an animal chemically camouflaging itself via its diet, said study leader Rohan Brooker, currently a postdoctoral student at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta.”

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...=pulsenews

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
12-12-2014, 12:39 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science
I love cartography.

How One Woman's Discovery Shook the Foundations of Geology

"Her maps also showed something else—something no one expected. Repeating in each was “a deep notch near the crest of the ridge,” a V-shaped gap that seemed to run the entire length of the mountain range. Tharp stared at it. It had to be a mistake.

She crunched and re-crunched the numbers for weeks on end, double- and triple-checking her data. As she did, she became more convinced that the impossible was true: She was looking at evidence of a rift valley, a place where magma emerged from inside the earth, forming new crust and thrusting the land apart. If her calculations were right, the geosciences would never be the same.”

http://mentalfloss.com/article/60481/how...ns-geology

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply