The elegant nature of science

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-01-2015, 01:14 PM
RE: The elegant nature of science
Mimicry to avoid predation - I’ve never seen anything like this before.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...ators.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-01-2015, 11:50 AM
12 free articles from iop on light, limited time availability. Thumbsup

http://live.iop-pp01.agh.sleek.net/physi.../page-5383

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-01-2015, 05:38 PM
This is so amazing. A humongous saturn-like planet.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/28...56310.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Darwin’s Null Hypothesis

"If evolution is a product of changes in the physical and biological environment, and there are no changes in the physical and biological environment, then there will be no evolution," said J. William Schopf, a paleobiologist at UCLA.

He calls it the null hypothesis required of Darwin’s equation.'

http://www.latimes.com/science/scienceno...story.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-02-2015, 07:46 PM
(03-02-2015 07:04 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Darwin’s Null Hypothesis

"If evolution is a product of changes in the physical and biological environment, and there are no changes in the physical and biological environment, then there will be no evolution," said J. William Schopf, a paleobiologist at UCLA.

*Holds up hand*

But.. I thought the way genes are shuffled during/with reproduction is also a factor? So.. even if the environment doesn't change... the genetics should continue to shuffle and changes might still happen within the population?

So... maybe certain females start to take a hankering to males with a bigger or brighter or different shaped 'B'? Would not this then drive a change as the 'B' aspect changes under said influence, which is itself not a factor of the 'environment'?
Consider

Edit: *Reads article* Ah!.. No sex... poor microbes.. Sad

Much cheers to all.
03-02-2015, 08:01 PM
(03-02-2015 07:46 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  

*Holds up hand*

But.. I thought the way genes are shuffled during/with reproduction is also a factor? So.. even if the environment doesn't change... the genetics should continue to shuffle and changes might still happen within the population?

So... maybe certain females start to take a hankering to males with a bigger or brighter or different shaped 'B'? Would not this then drive a change as the 'B' aspect changes under said influence, which is itself not a factor of the 'environment'?
Consider

Much cheers to all.

[Image: lEQ6YL0.gif]

04-02-2015, 06:46 AM
(03-02-2015 07:46 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  

*Holds up hand*

Consider

Much cheers to all.

Yabut, it said "no changes in the physical and biological environment".

However, with solely no changes in the physical environment, sexual selection would continue on, as you surmise.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2015, 03:11 PM
I think there is room for improvement in every organism. Changes in metabolism to make them more efficient or able to consume different foods. Better resistance to toxins. Faster reproduction.

So many ways to improve without changing the environment.

Though microbes themselves are part of the environment, so they change the environment they are in. I am doubting the validity of this null hypothesis.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
04-02-2015, 03:20 PM
(04-02-2015 03:11 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I think there is room for improvement in every organism. Changes in metabolism to make them more efficient or able to consume different foods. Better resistance to toxins. Faster reproduction.

So many ways to improve without changing the environment.

Though microbes themselves are part of the environment, so they change the environment they are in. I am doubting the validity of this null hypothesis.

The environment hasn’t changed by their precense and they haven’t had to change to adapt to a changing environment. Seems legit.

05-02-2015, 09:20 AM
So I had a thought, is it possible for something to have negative mass?
Like the higgs boson gives things mass. It acts sort of like a metal armor in an magnetic field where the magnetic field would pull the metal armor (and thus the person inside it) in. Likewise the higgs boson lets gravity pull objects in giving them mass. Mass is just resistance to gravity.

And so surely there is something out there that acts against gravity, pushes it away. Like two of the same magnetic ends of a magnet. So like the higgs boson makes everyone a N end, gravity being P. And so something not effected by higgs ignores gravity. And than something out there makes things a P end and so would repel gravity and thus have negative mass. Maybe this is what dark matter/energy is??? Probably not because it's me suggesting it.

But it would be weird because if it made everything a P than it would repel matter just like itself too (where as matter effected by the Higgs are N and produce gravity which is P, negative mass would be objects that produce gravity with P but are also P themselves) and so wouldn't be able to form complex atoms and shit.

Ya know it would sorta explain dark matter and energy, because dark matter/energy is forcing our universe to expand and this could work because it would expand itself and force other objects to expand, but because it's so tiny it wouldn't have such a huge impact however if there's enough of it, even spread out across a vast area, it would have an impact. Ya know what I'm saying.

I'm just thinking out loud anyway, obviously I don't know much about dark matter/energy, I'm no scientist. But it is what it is.