The end of a family?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2011, 06:32 PM
RE: The end of a family?
While I have not personally gone through a family division because of faith, but I felt compelled to respond all the same Smile

I think there's a couple of things that I would consider if I was in your position:

1) If my wife wanted me to be more open to her faith, could she not also be more open to atheism? If she wants me to read the Bible fine, it probably won't alter my views, but could she not also read the same books that convinced you of atheism?

2) Is it better for my children to be in a household where the parents are married, but do not get along? Or is it better for them to go through a divorce with positive outcomes? Divorce doesn't have to be an acrimonious parting of ways, and it can impact on children's lives positively.

3) Would me and/or my wife be better off if we divorced? Would I be happier in the long run? Would she?

4) Are her fears about our children turning away from faith based on her perceptions of motherhood? Does she worry that if her children are not Christians like herself that it reflects her failings as a mother? If so I think it is important to address those concerns.

I think moving has probably exposed the cracks in your relationship more than if you had stayed put, but I think that you need to seize the advantage here and try to find an amicable end to the problems of faith that are plaguing your relationship.

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people as things" - Granny Weatherwax in Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mad Prophet's post
29-10-2011, 07:13 PM
RE: The end of a family?
Really appreciate the feedback, everyone. I've got some new thoughts thanks to you guys.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Strobelite's post