The end times dilemma. A thought experiment.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2013, 08:35 AM
RE: The end times dilemma. A thought experiment.
(28-04-2013 08:12 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  You think that might help?Consider

Not here. Place is fulla trolls. Big Grin

(28-04-2013 08:22 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  It's meant to be a think of the craziest thing that you could imagine, kinda thing.

As opposed to actual theistic commentary? Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-04-2013, 08:40 AM
I don't mean to imply, by my snark, that you should not be thinking about stuff; and if it really interests you, you can try to keeps expanding on it... but...

(27-04-2013 07:16 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  If you choose A then when the day comes and goes all people of that religion would cease being religious.

...this has already been falsified. I don't get where your conclusions follow your premises.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-04-2013, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2013 09:05 AM by evenheathen.)
I think that you forgot to explain the question enough. Correct me if I'm wrong. What you are asking is if we could choose which scenario we would like to see happen, which one would we choose?

Meaning we don't actually believe it's true, but which one would be better for the world for theists to believe.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
28-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Ok, I'll try again, in a non serious tone.

Knowing that the end is near won't change most peoples behavior depending on how near we are talking about.
"News report, nukes launched around the world. Global destruction is minutes away"
People will rush home to be with loved ones and a few will do very bad things.

A killer asteroid is set to destroy the earth in 2 months, in 2 years, in 20 years.
In 2 months some people will take that seriously and many will shrug and say "I don't believe it will hit"
In 2 years some areas of the world might fall into chaos.
In 20 years, people won't worry about it that much.

Not knowing when destruction is coming doesn't change a thing in my opinion.
We don't know things all the time. That is the default position.
Not knowing means it could happen tomorrow or it may not happen 5000, 50000 or 5 million years from now.

Religious people are gonna do what they are gonna do regardless of facts.
We could tell them that they end is near and they won't believe it unless it comes from their oily snake salesmen.
The facts of life are irrelevant to them. Unless you count Blair, she was a hotty.

We also ignore their end of times rantings because they are baseless in fact.

So, If I had to choose, I would choose to know.
I would want to know how much time I have left so I can make the most of it.
The thing is, I already know, to some degree, how much time I have left.
I'm 48 yrs old. I have another 40 years at most.
My grandfather recently died in his late 90's and my grandmother is still alive.
I'm sure she knows that she only has a few more years, maybe less.
My mother is 65 and is beginning to feel the signs of old age.
She is hoping to have 20 more years, but I don't think she believes that.

Our time here has always been finite. Our end times happen every day for many many people around the world.

When each of us dies, it is the equivalent of the entire world, everything we have ever known, simply brushed away.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
28-04-2013, 10:19 AM
(28-04-2013 08:12 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  
(28-04-2013 07:31 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Sometimes its frustrating to start what you may think as a good thread on this forum. Weeping

Remember you are dealing with a grossly over-reactive, shoot-first ask questions later, egocentric, hedonistic, baby-eating and supremely skeptical bunch here! Plus some of us are dyslexic, don't comprehend well and are partially delusional. Big Grin

Now...why the hell do you think end times are just around the corner?!?! What kind of crap are you spewing here? Laughat

I think next time I need to make a little notice ahead of time to show my intentions. Something like,

Warning. This is not a realistic view of the universe. I'm in no way suggesting that the concepts in the following sentences represent my views, nor represent views that are plausible. Do not take these next sentences on a serious note.

You think that might help?Consider

Let's go back to a useful discussion, like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Theology: The study of nothing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
28-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Here is a thought experiment for ya

Someone made this picture and saw the kid dressed up as Robin as an underachiever.

[Image: 401900_456597871081756_1739920115_n.jpg]

And yet he is the only one who realistically can achieve that goal because Robin is a little kid. He is the only one of the four who sees the reality of a round peg fitting in a round hole.
The others are wishful thinking at best.

This would be the same as having 3 obese guys dressed up as coast guard rescuers and 1 athletic guy dressed up as a beach lifeguard.

Much of religion and religious thought is the same way.
Not making the connections to reality and seeing those that do, as having a problem.

So, how do you see the picture ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
28-04-2013, 11:58 AM
I like the idea of all animals starting to talk better.

That would have an amazing effect on a lot of people I bet.

I like imaginary situations, I just don't like the one you posed much.

Without imagination humankind would not be able to progress at all, science would be stagnant.

So I think practicing imaginary situations is fun and also good for the brain.

I just don't get turned on by this end of times scenario.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-04-2013, 12:31 PM
As I recall from my religious time the Bible says plainly that no man shall no the hour of His coming. Seems rather plain. As I'm now an atheist I'd of course say I don't know when our species will meet its end. It will eventually one way or another after all.
28-04-2013, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2013 11:29 PM by Foxcanine1.)
(28-04-2013 08:46 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I think that you forgot to explain the question enough. Correct me if I'm wrong. What you are asking is if we could choose which scenario we would like to see happen, which one would we choose?

Meaning we don't actually believe it's true, but which one would be better for the world for theists to believe.

I could have said it better I admit. Let me edit my question

If we had two choices

1: theist believed that they knew when the world would end.

2: theist believed that no one knows when the world would will end.

With 1, the theist say that on a certain date, the world will end. By choosing 1 you gain the risk ( to make it clear I'll say it's a 50/50 chance) that theist will start WW3 before that date arrives. However, you gain the reward that after that date, the theist will realize that they were completely wrong, and will no longer challenge any science or start any wars for religious reasons ( I'll also add the opportunity that religion will end altogether).

With 2, you gain an absolute certainty that religion will go on indefinitely, religion will always get in the way of science, with the benefit that there would never be a WW3 from religion.

Does that make better sense?

Just an outsider looking inn.
28-04-2013, 10:55 PM
(28-04-2013 10:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-04-2013 08:12 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  I think next time I need to make a little notice ahead of time to show my intentions. Something like,

Warning. This is not a realistic view of the universe. I'm in no way suggesting that the concepts in the following sentences represent my views, nor represent views that are plausible. Do not take these next sentences on a serious note.

You think that might help?Consider

Let's go back to a useful discussion, like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Theology: The study of nothing.

The point of my question was to see whether you would take a short term risk for a long term gain ( A ) or whether you'd prefer to not take that risk for a long term loss ( B ). So I think that it has a slightly better point then how many angels dance on a pin. If you don't want to answer then fine, your right. Not forcing you here.

Just an outsider looking inn.