The essence of like

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2015, 12:01 PM
The essence of like
Lately, I've been noticing a trend (my findings aren't scientific, however).

Many times someone will post a new thread, either looking for advice or just starting a topic and ending it with a question, etc. Then the great community here will rush to help with links, advice, empathy, whatever. And what I've been noticing is a lot of these great posts aren't being liked or even acknowledged. It perplexes me that someone would start a thread, mostly looking for help or feedback, and then not at least show some reciprocity and like their post or thank them.

Now, don't misunderstand. I'm not some weak-minded attention-hungry needy fool who wants his surrounding community to define him. I don't need your reassurance that my post is good or helpful, but common courtesy isn't too much to ask. And this isn't about me or my posts (I don't post often enough for this to be an issue for me), it's just a trend I've been noticing.

When I read a post that "beat me to it" I "like" it, because it's what I would have said. When someone gives particularly good advice or is showing some serious empathy, I like it. When it makes me laugh, I like it. If it makes a great point that makes me think differently, I like it. You can see the pattern here.

Now, why do I care? A couple of reasons: When I'm scanning through dozens of pages in a thread, if there are a lot of likes on a particular post, I'll make sure I read it, because it's obviously grabbed the attention of the community. It makes wading through some of the minutia so much easier. If it gets me to stop, then I'm more likely to read from there and the surrounding posts.

The other reason is, if people are taking the time out of their busy day to address your concern or idea, the least you can do is acknowledge it in some manner. A "like" is a simple way to show your appreciation, and it helps the poster think, hey, my opinion means something so maybe I'll post some more on here and help someone else, etc.

And if someone continues to help and be productive, I give them a positive rep. This is another method of appreciation for our community. If I'm scanning and see a huge amount of negs on someone, then I know what I'm in for and likely will skip them because I know they are either a troll or an ass.

So, if you think there's an opportunity to show someone on here that you appreciate their effort, then like their post or give them a positive rep.

Drinking Beverage

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like WillHopp's post
21-02-2015, 12:24 PM
RE: The essence of like
The "like" feature is really nice.... But what'd REALLY be a help is a "I'm starved for your body" feature.......

It might get used less - but damn... You'd NOTICE that, eh??

Jest a thought....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
21-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Well said, good sir.

The 'likes given' has always struck me as an indicator of whether someone veers towards the 'community' aspect of TTA (rather than the discussion / debate aspect).

I've questioned people via PM about their habits and sometimes it's just absent-mindedness. People have different reasons for liking.

My reasons are almost identical to yours. And I have another one... "get back to me on that". This is because I know that a good few people check their 'likes received' when they log in because they've worked out that receiving a like often means that there is a reply to something they've posted.

Also, a confession... I try hard to read and reply to the content of a post rather than the poster i.e. irrespective of their rep points. But sometimes I go to hit like and then notice that I'd be liking a post from someone who gives out fuck all likes and I hesitate.

There's a subconscious moment of "why should I like you if you don't like any of us". Almost always, I'll let that moment pass and hit like anyway. But I don't like myself for having that hesitation.

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
21-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Know what..you are totally right. And I'm one of the worst offenders for that. I just don't have the instinct I guess. It doesn't occur to me to hit the like button.

I'll work on it. I promise.

Now I will go sit in the naughty chair and await my punishment.

Big Grin

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 8 users Like Stark Raving's post
21-02-2015, 12:41 PM
(21-02-2015 12:33 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Well said, good sir.

The 'likes given' has always struck me as an indicator of whether someone veers towards the 'community' aspect of TTA (rather than the discussion / debate aspect).

I've questioned people via PM about their habits and sometimes it's just absent-mindedness. People have different reasons for liking.

My reasons are almost identical to yours. And I have another one... "get back to me on that". This is because I know that a good few people check their 'likes received' when they log in because they've worked out that receiving a like often means that there is a reply to something they've posted.

Also, a confession... I try hard to read and reply to the content of a post rather than the poster i.e. irrespective of their rep points. But sometimes I go to hit like and then notice that I'd be liking a post from someone who gives out fuck all likes and I hesitate.

There's a subconscious moment of "why should I like you if you don't like any of us". Almost always, I'll let that moment pass and hit like anyway. But I don't like myself for having that hesitation.

Yaya. I know.

Shaddap.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
Believe me, I'm not calling anyone out or feeling under appreciated in any way. I mean, I don't have a ton of likes given either, but I'm not on here as much as I used to be. When I post a new thread, I feel obligated to follow it to its death and like every post that responds to me.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
:goes to 'like' Stark's post:

:sees that his likes given are less than a quarter of those received:

:hesitates:

:hits like:

:hates self:

[+] 9 users Like DLJ's post
21-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Some like to give, rather than recieve. Angel

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-02-2015, 12:57 PM
I love to both give and receive Big Grin is there a way to see who on the forum has given the most likes? I'd bet I'm pretty close to the top of the list Blush my likes mean about 10,000 different things. I'm also one who.. Checks my likes received. I like to know who is enjoying my posts. Blush

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 8 users Like Smercury44's post
21-02-2015, 01:05 PM
I always like smerc's stuff!

----
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post