The essence of like

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2015, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2015 01:32 PM by DLJ.)
RE: The essence of like
(21-02-2015 12:57 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  ...
I'd bet I'm pretty close to the top of the list

A safe bet.

You can ask Deep to run a report.

Here's our current top three (I think):
Vosur
Erx
Chas

EDIT: Tarty at #4 (possibly)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
21-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I'll pass them in no time Cool I give over 30 per day on average Girl_nails

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post
21-02-2015, 02:05 PM
(21-02-2015 12:57 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I'm also one who.. Checks my likes received. I like to know who is enjoying my posts. Blush

Same here. I like to see who liked my posts, like... it's the like of thing I'm curious about, feedback and the like, not quite like the FB's like, but you can see who is like minded, if you like. Most likely because they liked the same thing you liked, since you said it, like as not.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 5 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
21-02-2015, 02:21 PM
(21-02-2015 01:05 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I always like smerc's stuff!

Me, too! Blush
!!Obligatory sublminal message TO SMERC to send me nudie pics!!

@ WillHop
I hit the like button for funny posts, and sciency/history-ee stuff! I've liked some of the really good advice posts from the personal issues section, too, but I don't hit it for some of the heart-felt stuff cuz I feel as if I'm "liking" someone's grief/problems. Undecided

[+] 4 users Like TheGulegon's post
21-02-2015, 02:49 PM
(21-02-2015 01:06 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-02-2015 12:57 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  ...
I'd bet I'm pretty close to the top of the list

A safe bet.

You can ask Deep to run a report.

Here's our current top three (I think):
Vosur
Erx
Chas

EDIT: Tarty at #4 (possibly)

I'm very selective about which posts I 'Like'. That's why I'm a distant 3rd. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
21-02-2015, 03:17 PM
I like this thread!

I want to let others know that I read their post and if funny, thought provoking, read my mind, ridiculously witty, supportive and such then I click.

I also make it a point to give positive feedback to Noobs, I know how much I appreciated that when I first got here.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
21-02-2015, 03:22 PM
(21-02-2015 02:21 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  @ WillHop
... but I don't hit it for some of the heart-felt stuff cuz I feel as if I'm "liking" someone's grief/problems. Undecided

I know! I'm the same way on FB. It feels so weird to like a post about a celeb that died or something.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
21-02-2015, 03:47 PM
(21-02-2015 12:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  :goes to 'like' Stark's post:

:sees that his likes given are less than a quarter of those received:

:hesitates:

:hits like:

:hates self:

You're still my favorite invertebrate. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
21-02-2015, 04:01 PM
(21-02-2015 02:21 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  @ WillHop
I hit the like button for funny posts, and sciency/history-ee stuff! I've liked some of the really good advice posts from the personal issues section, too, but I don't hit it for some of the heart-felt stuff cuz I feel as if I'm "liking" someone's grief/problems. Undecided

That's a tough one. I usually try to let people know that I read their post and empathize/sympathize with their issue. But 'like' doesn't seem right. I tend to go for the hug.

I like funny posts, a particularly good response to a question or issue, and stories of personal triumph over adversity. I am a sucker for kids and critters so those pics get likes.

Really quick, witty responses usually get a like and a bow.

To me, a like is an acknowledgement especially for times when I don't have a response or the post doesn't require a response.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
21-02-2015, 04:19 PM
(21-02-2015 12:01 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Lately, I've been noticing a trend (my findings aren't scientific, however).

Many times someone will post a new thread, either looking for advice or just starting a topic and ending it with a question, etc. Then the great community here will rush to help with links, advice, empathy, whatever. And what I've been noticing is a lot of these great posts aren't being liked or even acknowledged. It perplexes me that someone would start a thread, mostly looking for help or feedback, and then not at least show some reciprocity and like their post or thank them.

Now, don't misunderstand. I'm not some weak-minded attention-hungry needy fool who wants his surrounding community to define him. I don't need your reassurance that my post is good or helpful, but common courtesy isn't too much to ask. And this isn't about me or my posts (I don't post often enough for this to be an issue for me), it's just a trend I've been noticing.

When I read a post that "beat me to it" I "like" it, because it's what I would have said. When someone gives particularly good advice or is showing some serious empathy, I like it. When it makes me laugh, I like it. If it makes a great point that makes me think differently, I like it. You can see the pattern here.

Now, why do I care? A couple of reasons: When I'm scanning through dozens of pages in a thread, if there are a lot of likes on a particular post, I'll make sure I read it, because it's obviously grabbed the attention of the community. It makes wading through some of the minutia so much easier. If it gets me to stop, then I'm more likely to read from there and the surrounding posts.

The other reason is, if people are taking the time out of their busy day to address your concern or idea, the least you can do is acknowledge it in some manner. A "like" is a simple way to show your appreciation, and it helps the poster think, hey, my opinion means something so maybe I'll post some more on here and help someone else, etc.

And if someone continues to help and be productive, I give them a positive rep. This is another method of appreciation for our community. If I'm scanning and see a huge amount of negs on someone, then I know what I'm in for and likely will skip them because I know they are either a troll or an ass.

So, if you think there's an opportunity to show someone on here that you appreciate their effort, then like their post or give them a positive rep.

Drinking Beverage

Weeping

pearls before swine and all that jazz Big Grin

i kid i kid Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post