The ever widening gap between the rich and poor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2015, 03:26 PM
RE: The ever widening gap between the rich and poor
You know what really causes the ever widening gap between the rich and the poor?

Success...

It takes a lot of hard work, talent and more than just a little luck to be a success...

Or, you can bitch about how "the man's keeping you down"....

Me - rich?

Hardly.

Fixed income, retired - driving a 20 year old car.

And quite comfortable - thank you...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2015, 03:44 PM
(24-01-2015 02:57 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  I don't huddle around a fire banging rocks and I didn't imply anyone else should. Capitalism is responsible for all of the environmental problems. Every last one of them. To claim otherwise is disingenuous.

Even Chernobyl?
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
24-01-2015, 03:45 PM
(24-01-2015 02:57 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  I don't huddle around a fire banging rocks and I didn't imply anyone else should. Capitalism is responsible for all of the environmental problems. Every last one of them. To claim otherwise is disingenuous.

All the environmental problems were caused by capitalism?
As in every one.

I do hope you have something to substantiate such a wide-sweeping claim.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
24-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Name a product that was manufactured with no pollution or use of energy.
24-01-2015, 03:53 PM
The Soviets were as capitalist as we are. The Soviets saved money by not building a containment dome around their reactor. Thus could funnel more money into other parts of their economy like weapons development. So they could peddle their Arms around the world just like us.
24-01-2015, 03:56 PM
(24-01-2015 03:47 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  Name a product that was manufactured with no pollution or use of energy.

I dunno. Maybe the pet rock?
Anyway I'd like to know what you are getting at.
Are you insinuating that only capitalist countries manufacture products?
24-01-2015, 03:57 PM
(24-01-2015 03:53 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  The Soviets were as capitalist as we are. The Soviets saved money by not building a containment dome around their reactor. Thus could funnel more money into other parts of their economy like weapons development. So they could peddle their Arms around the world just like us.

No. That's not exactly what capitalism is.
24-01-2015, 04:07 PM
The Soviets peddled their natural resources and products all over the world for cash. That is Capitalism.
24-01-2015, 04:12 PM
First show me a country that's not capitalist.
24-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Okay so this is a loaded thread with many permutations, and I would love to respond to every one of them, since I believe economic, political, social and religious inequality are major players in our global issues. However, time and space are limited, and I would bore most of you to tears if I ranted all day. That being said, much of what I am disheartened by was evident to me today in my brief visit to WalMart (I avoid that place for the most part), but we live in a consumer-driven culture, and when those of us who are in the bottom percentages economically need basic consumables, we go where we can. We buy things, they break, and we go buy more. Somebody gets rich, somebody barely makes a living, and somebody gets needed commodities at a price they can afford. Many people are abused in the process - the workers making the junk, the employees working the checkout lines, etc. But nobody speaks up in a voice that gets heard. The workers in the countries that make the products don't have a voice, and the workers in the U.S. who DO have a voice and a vote DON'T CARE - as long as they can feed their families. They are tired, and lied to constantly, and the process continues. Does anybody deserve any of this? Do the founders of superstores deserve to get rich at the expense of so many because they had a great idea and found the means to make it happen? Perhaps they do deserve their riches, but I am of the opinion that they could part with some of that and PAY THE WORKERS a livable and decent wage, provide them with reasonable health care etc. But they don't, and won't, as long as people don't take their power and USE it, to change things. The gulf is ever widening, and until we return to an actual democracy where corporations are NOT PEOPLE and workers take back their power, it will widen still. If companies start making products that last (and pay their workers properly to make these things with pride), that would help a little. If we stop giving tremendous subsidies to companies enabling them to continue their vulture-like ways, and stop looking the other way when giant monopolies are born, that would also help a little. Much needs to change. I too, drive a 25 year old car with 250,000 miles on it, and I will until it gives up. Perhaps not the best "carbon footprint" but at least I am not participating in the throw-away culture that feeds the system. I also happen to shop at second-hand stores whenever possible. I believe in recycle, reuse, and use it until it has lived out a long and beneficial usefulness! And give to others when you no longer have a need. My 2 cents.
[+] 2 users Like tln88's post