The "evolution debate" at school

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2011, 10:43 PM
The "evolution debate" at school
well, my group of 23 divided in teams of 4, more or less in Creationism, Lamarck, Micro-Macro Evolution, Darwinism, and Neo Darwinism.
I was neo darwinism. All the knowledge I had helped me a lot, in a matter of minutes we "destroyed" Creationism, Lamarck, and the micro evolution.

We didn't touch the Darwinism team, for obvious reasons Wink

We all chose our teams, it was a personal decision, and that's why being an atheist gave me an A+ (Excellent or 10) grade at Ecology and Biology that semester.

[Image: ganonsigresize.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes xscaralienx's post
15-05-2011, 10:40 AM
RE: The "evolution debate" at school
lol, well done. Smile
In my school, creationism didn't even come up when we learned evolution.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
15-05-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that when I went to school, the idea that you could teach creationism as science hadn't been thought up yet so I learned science in science class. We may have talked about creationism in religious studies (I went to Catholic school for most of high school), but if we did, I don't remember it.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2011, 03:40 PM
I wish my biology class was like that, my teacher just taught "microevolution is troof and macro evolution is a big fatty lie, even though they are the same thing..." Stupid creationist teaching methods... I hate this area.
16-05-2011, 04:15 AM
Luckily here in Croatia nobody has heard of Creationism still, so we teach our kids normal science. Even the religious class teaches normal stuff, like that the Bible is full of myths not real true stories, like Noah and seven days... Incredible, but we (as a God forsaken country) have very good schools and normal teachers, even if we are 90%+ Catholic country.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
16-05-2011, 09:31 AM
This seems like a good idea. It would be nice to incorporate this into more classes. Divide students up randomly and make them research each point of view and then have a classroom debate. I like this.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
16-05-2011, 11:48 AM

I never had the luxury of debating evolution and creationism formally in high school. I have shut down friends before in personal arguments on the subject but I've always dreamed of debating that to the idiots at my school. Some of you may know of the organization, but there's a youth group in my area called YoungLife. I personally find it to be a cult. They give away free shit to the kids all the time which is plastered with their logo. Most of the kids I shut down in arguments are a part of that group. They don't even know jack shit about their "religion." They only go cause they think it's cool. Hipsters.
Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2011, 05:23 AM
I have debates with my math teacher about it every now and then, but nothing major, he always ends it by saying "well I just don't believe scientists could figure that out."
So I resort to facebook for my source of facepalming action... I think it would be fun if we all got together on troll accounts and started picking on the weak, defenseless, christian-minority. As we're clearly known to do Wink
The group is called the B.U.A.A.B.C (Believers United Against Atheist Bull Crap)... these kids are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid.. it hurts my brain knowing I used to think like them.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
17-05-2011, 08:08 AM
(17-05-2011 05:23 AM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  I have debates with my math teacher about it every now and then, but nothing major, he always ends it by saying "well I just don't believe scientists could figure that out."
So I resort to facebook for my source of facepalming action... I think it would be fun if we all got together on troll accounts and started picking on the weak, defenseless, christian-minority. As we're clearly known to do Wink
The group is called the B.U.A.A.B.C (Believers United Against Atheist Bull Crap)... these kids are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid.. it hurts my brain knowing I used to think like them.

"Anti-God is Anti-American
Anti-American is Treason
Traitors lead to Civil War"

Traitors also lead to revolutions that enable a set of states/colonies to free themselves from the tyrannical rule of evil governments/dictators.
*See Revolutionary War*

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
17-05-2011, 11:28 AM

(17-05-2011 08:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "Anti-God is Anti-American
Anti-American is Treason
Traitors lead to Civil War"

Traitors also lead to revolutions that enable a set of states/colonies to free themselves from the tyrannical rule of evil governments/dictators.
*See Revolutionary War*

Funny how that works out right?
Quote this message in a reply