The evolution of asexual to sexual reproduction.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2013, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2013 04:12 PM by Adenosis.)
The evolution of asexual to sexual reproduction.
This is a thread to post links or ideas related to the jump from asexual to sexual reproduction.

This is a doodle I did while thinking of this. Basically there is a mutation that makes an organism more virus like, unable to reproduce on it's own, and so takes advantage of the asexually reproducing organisms to reproduce. Eventually some descendant lines would lose the ability to asexually reproduce, only taking advantage of sexual reproduction, resulting in two sex's. The survival advantage would be an increase in variation from generation to generation, making it more likely for that species to survive changes in it's environment. I imagine this would be something that came about when life was only single celled, or at least composed of few cells.

So... Any ideas!? Hobo

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2013, 09:04 AM
RE: The evolution of asexual to sexual reproduction.
As I understand it, most "asexually reproducing" creatures have some form of sexual reproduction capability where they sidle up to one another and exchange genetic material directly. If there was a time before cell membranes were common then it might be reasonable to conclude that this kind of exchange would have been common. If this kind of loose DNA-exchange sexuality was present from the origin of life then perhaps every step since has just been a repackaging of that basic capability that has never been entirely lost?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
21-03-2013, 11:21 AM
As I understand it:

Sexual reproduction is unique to Eukaryotes. All sexually reproducing organisms have a common single-celled Eukaryotic ancestor.

The move from asexual to sexual way back when we were single celled is actually a controversy. So no definitive answer as of yet.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
21-03-2013, 12:43 PM
(21-03-2013 11:21 AM)Ghost Wrote:  As I understand it:

Sexual reproduction is unique to Eukaryotes. All sexually reproducing organisms have a common single-celled Eukaryotic ancestor.

The move from asexual to sexual way back when we were single celled is actually a controversy. So no definitive answer as of yet.

Matt
It is found in prokaryotes too. So it's not exclusive just more common in eukaryotes.
21-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Sexual reproduction is (at its most fundamental level) the exchange of genetic information. So prokaryotes are more than capable of doing this. Exchange of genetic information becomes favored and selected for (in some populations). This becomes more and more important and introduces more and more variability.

The most important part of genetic variability is not the absolute number of genes, but the combinatorial effect.

Evolve
21-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Hey, FSM.

Good call. It's still true that all sexually reproducing Eukaryotes have a common ancestor, but I suppose my unique statement was off the mark.

That being said, the plot thickens. I can get Eukaryotes developing something and then that descending, but how does it exist in both? Is it a common ancestor thing, or did two strains of life develop sexual reproduction independently?

Matt
21-03-2013, 12:58 PM
(21-03-2013 12:56 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, FSM.

Good call. It's still true that all sexually reproducing Eukaryotes have a common ancestor, but I suppose my unique statement was off the mark.

That being said, the plot thickens. I can get Eukaryotes developing something and then that descending, but how does it exist in both? Is it a common ancestor thing, or did two strains of life develop sexual reproduction independently?

Matt
It is an inherited trait. Keep in mind that the trait can be inherited, even if it is not expressed in the ancestor.

Evolve
28-03-2013, 07:01 PM
(28-03-2013 05:21 PM)Vera Wrote:  Think your sex life is complicated? Imagine having 7 sexes.

"Tetrahymena thermophila — a single-celled organism that goes way beyond male and female. It has seven different sexes to choose from."

If only we had such a wide choice...

This is an interesting organism, might paint a clearer picture of the answer to the question of the thread. Definitely going to do more reading on this.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious