The evolution of the ego

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2013, 12:36 PM
The evolution of the ego
Last night, I was laying in bed and had this thought. I wonder how the ego has developed over time. What made me think about this was all of these pictures of girls post of themselves (usually a sultry look) Before I go to sleep, I use my ipod to check facebook. Many men and woman are trying so hard to impress one another. Some people, like me, have a few pics of themselves, cars, or family. But I am just tired of people that I don't know very well trying to impress me!! Constantly! Whether it' trying to find that perfect post, perfect smile, whatever. We all know what that person is doing.
http://www.laughteryoga.org/index.php?op...e-ego-mind
Thoughts Drinking Beverage on article?

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2013, 12:12 AM
RE: The evolution of the ego
(26-03-2013 12:36 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  Last night, I was laying in bed and had this thought. I wonder how the ego has developed over time. What made me think about this was all of these pictures of girls post of themselves (usually a sultry look) Before I go to sleep, I use my ipod to check facebook. Many men and woman are trying so hard to impress one another. Some people, like me, have a few pics of themselves, cars, or family. But I am just tired of people that I don't know very well trying to impress me!! Constantly! Whether it' trying to find that perfect post, perfect smile, whatever. We all know what that person is doing.
http://www.laughteryoga.org/index.php?op...e-ego-mind
Thoughts Drinking Beverage on article?

It's not about ego. It's about being accepted and recognized in society.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Blasphemy!

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Society has changed as a whole, and people feel the need to fit into society by any means.

“My Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight.” - Marcus Luttrell
[+] 1 user Likes Misenhelter's post
05-04-2013, 05:46 AM
Humans have always tried to impress.

Modern technology just allows us to show off our dumb shit more easily;and with more impunity.
[+] 2 users Like Juv's post
05-04-2013, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 03:16 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I would guess the ego predates modern humans. Just take chimps, for example. Alphas constantly swagger around with their hair on end to make themselves look bigger. If anyone doesn't treat them with respect, they launch into a display where they throw objects, charge at individuals, and even slap them. Check out this video of a "dancing" chimp.

His little dance is funny, right? Well, he is actually displaying at the crowd, meaning someone has pissed him off. Watch it again with the understanding that it's a display. Doesn't look as funny does it? I imagine he would have snapped someone in half if he had been at arm's reach.

This means the human-chimp last common ancestor (LCA) probably had an ego as well.
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
05-04-2013, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 02:06 PM by Vera.)
(05-04-2013 09:09 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I would guess the ego predates modern humans. Just take chimps, for example. Alphas constantly swagger around with their hair on end to make themselves look bigger. If anyone doesn't treat them with respect, they launch into a display where they throw objects, charge at individuals, and even slap them. Check out this video of a "dancing" chimp.

His little dance is funny, right? Well, he is actually displaying at the crowd, meaning someone has pissed him off. Watch it again with the understanding that it's a display. Doesn't look as funny does it? I imagine he would have snapped someone in half if he had been at arm's reach.

This means our the human-chimp last common ancestor (LCA) probably had an ego as well.

Gorillas are downright scary. Most great apes are (with the exception of the bonobos... though they can be scary in a totally different way Tongue ), but gorillas - most of all. No, scratch that, we are the most scary ape of all, but they come pretty close.

As for the original post - most of us crave, need, wouldn't mind approval. Some choose more obvious and pathetic ways than others...

EDIT: Hm, I guess I need to brush up my reading skills. But it totally looks like a gorilla from this distance Sad

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
05-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Wow! Very interesting. I have never seen a chimpanzee fully displaying ego. I know, that male chimps are scary, and extremly agressive. Many zookeepers knw that the male shows signs of social dominance.

Yes. it definatly seems as if the chimpanzee is being funny, but in the chimps mind, he is communicated in a manner that would probably be dominant, perhaps socially for the other chimps to show his own ego. This is a clear sign humans have evolved from chimpanzees, and LPA had egos, very similar to humans, but of course more simple in complexity.

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
06-04-2013, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 01:39 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(05-04-2013 02:03 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  Wow! Very interesting. I have never seen a chimpanzee fully displaying ego. I know, that male chimps are scary, and extremly agressive. Many zookeepers knw that the male shows signs of social dominance.

Yes. it definatly seems as if the chimpanzee is being funny, but in the chimps mind, he is communicated in a manner that would probably be dominant, perhaps socially for the other chimps to show his own ego. This is a clear sign humans have evolved from chimpanzees, and LPA had egos, very similar to humans, but of course more simple in complexity.

We didn't evolve from chimps, we both descended from a common ancestor. But you seem to have the general idea. Here is another video of a displaying chimp named Frodo. Notice how some of the lower ranking individuals actually grovel in his presence. Many alphas use a mix of strength, politics, and tenderness to cement their positions. Frodo was an ironfisted dictator. He literally has a worldwide bad reputation for being an a-hole. He actually ate a human baby once.

06-04-2013, 04:09 PM
(06-04-2013 01:35 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 02:03 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  Wow! Very interesting. I have never seen a chimpanzee fully displaying ego. I know, that male chimps are scary, and extremly agressive. Many zookeepers knw that the male shows signs of social dominance.

We didn't evolve from chimps, we both descended from a common ancestor. But you seem to have the general idea. Here is another video of a displaying chimp named Frodo. Notice how some of the lower ranking individuals actually grovel in his presence. Many alphas use a mix of strength, politics, and tenderness to cement their positions. Frodo was an ironfisted dictator. He literally has a worldwide bad reputation for being an a-hole. He actually ate a human baby once.

Ate a baby? What? How did this happenShocking