"The failure of Atheism to account for existence"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2014, 01:04 PM
"The failure of Atheism to account for existence"
So I did a random Yahoo! Search on the word Atheism in the hopes of stumbling onto a Yahoo! Article discussing god/creationism and/or Atheism because, as some of you may or may not know, a vast majority of Yahoo! Commenters are Conservative, Creationist, homophobic @$%*wits that just seem to love it when people like me decide to comment on an article.(I guess giving a bunch of thumbs down to someones comment and then threatening them with hellfire gives them great joy.) And I happened to stumble across this: The failure of Atheism to account for existence

Now, being the critical examiner that I am, I always try to sift through the BS to find the most prudent or most relevant part of any argument. And to me, this part of the article stuck out the most:

"If the atheist were to say that the universe brought itself into existence, then that would be illogical since something that does not exist has no nature; and with no nature, there are no attributes; and with no attributes, actions can’t be performed such as bringing itself into existence. So, that doesn’t work.
"

But of course, I'm sure Mr. Matt Slick, like most creationists, fail to realize that this argument could also be directly applied to the existence of god. I'm just curious to see what you guys think of the article and this argument in particular.

"But...They're good for your soul."
I HAVE NO SOUL!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like fidel_cashflow's post
14-10-2014, 01:07 PM
RE: "The failure of Atheism to account for existence"
As usual a creationist argument falls apart when it's applied to their own beliefs.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Winterwolf00's post
14-10-2014, 01:15 PM
The universe has always existed, it has no "beginning".

*replace the word universe with the word god and that is the creationist argument in a nutshell.

Science has shown that particles come in and out of existance continuously
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...icles-rea/

We don't know if the "universe" is a closed or open system
http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae332.cfm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
14-10-2014, 01:18 PM
(14-10-2014 01:04 PM)fidel_cashflow Wrote:  So I did a random Yahoo! Search on the word Atheism in the hopes of stumbling onto a Yahoo! Article discussing god/creationism and/or Atheism because, as some of you may or may not know, a vast majority of Yahoo! Commenters are Conservative, Creationist, homophobic @$%*wits that just seem to love it when people like me decide to comment on an article.(I guess giving a bunch of thumbs down to someones comment and then threatening them with hellfire gives them great joy.) And I happened to stumble across this: The failure of Atheism to account for existence

Now, being the critical examiner that I am, I always try to sift through the BS to find the most prudent or most relevant part of any argument. And to me, this part of the article stuck out the most:

"If the atheist were to say that the universe brought itself into existence, then that would be illogical since something that does not exist has no nature; and with no nature, there are no attributes; and with no attributes, actions can’t be performed such as bringing itself into existence. So, that doesn’t work.
"

But of course, I'm sure Mr. Matt Slick, like most creationists, fail to realize that this argument could also be directly applied to the existence of god. I'm just curious to see what you guys think of the article and this argument in particular.

Atheism has nothing to say about existence, so there is no failure.

Religion makes unsubstantiated, unprovable claims. That is a failure.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
14-10-2014, 01:19 PM
We do not know how the universe came into existence and we may never know. Because we do not know does not imply a supreme being. Learn to be OK with that.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
14-10-2014, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2014 12:22 PM by DLJ.)
(14-10-2014 01:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 01:04 PM)fidel_cashflow Wrote:  So I did a random Yahoo! Search on the word Atheism in the hopes of stumbling onto a Yahoo! Article discussing god/creationism and/or Atheism because, as some of you may or may not know, a vast majority of Yahoo! Commenters are Conservative, Creationist, homophobic @$%*wits that just seem to love it when people like me decide to comment on an article.(I guess giving a bunch of thumbs down to someones comment and then threatening them with hellfire gives them great joy.) And I happened to stumble across this: The failure of Atheism to account for existence

"

I respectfully disagree. I, as an atheist, believe that our existence was brought about by a series of spontaneous, cataclysmic events that our beyond our current scientific understanding for now.
(14-10-2014 01:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  Religion makes unsubstantiated, unprovable claims. That is a failure.

Agreed.

I HAVE NO SOUL!!!
14-10-2014, 01:23 PM

I respectfully disagree. I, as an atheist, believe that our existence has been brought about by a complex series of spontaneous, cataclysmic events that our beyond our scientific understanding at the moment.

Agreed.

I HAVE NO SOUL!!!
14-10-2014, 01:26 PM
(14-10-2014 01:23 PM)fidel_cashflow Wrote:  Atheism has nothing to say about existence, so there is no failure.

I respectfully disagree. I, as an atheist, believe that our existence has been brought about by a complex series of spontaneous, cataclysmic events that our beyond our scientific understanding at the moment.

Agreed.

Atheism in and of itself makes no claims. You, as an atheist are free to personally have any opinions you wish aside from atheism. They are not one and the same.
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
14-10-2014, 01:29 PM
(14-10-2014 01:23 PM)fidel_cashflow Wrote:  Atheism has nothing to say about existence, so there is no failure.

Agreed.

You are not atheism. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
14-10-2014, 01:30 PM
(14-10-2014 01:26 PM)pablo Wrote:  

Agreed.

Atheism in and of itself makes no claims. You, as an atheist are free to personally have any opinions you wish aside from atheism. They are not one and the same.

Yeah I'm with Pablo here. I know atheists who believe in aliens and ghosts and think that's what " created" the universe. They also dismiss evolution by natural selection.

They just don't believe in god(s).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post