"The failure of Atheism to account for existence"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2014, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2014 10:29 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: "The failure of Atheism to account for existence"
Atheism has no position on the origins of the universe. The statement "atheism fails to account for bla bla bla" is a fundamental misunderstanding of what the word a-theist means.

There are probably as many origin ideas in the brains of atheists, as there are brains.

In this universe there is no such thing as "nothingness". It's a pleasant fiction cooked up by the scientifically illiterate.

The statement belies a *need* on the part of the person making the statement to settle a matter in their brain, OR they are not comfortable. (Google "ambiguity (in)tolerance" or "cognitive closure"). There is no need to "account for" anything, except to a two-year old, who won't stop asking mommy "but why, but why".

Existence and non-existence (if those words have any meaning content) are part of Reality. A god that (only) "exists", participates (only, and of necessity) in a partial sub-set of Reality, cannot be the creator of the very Reality in which it is REQUIRED to participate. Reality remains unexplained.

Just because one does not have all the answers one might wish for this morning doesn't make a fairy story that pretends to have some, any more legit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-10-2014, 11:24 AM
(14-10-2014 01:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 01:26 PM)pablo Wrote:  Atheism in and of itself makes no claims. You, as an atheist are free to personally have any opinions you wish aside from atheism. They are not one and the same.

Yeah I'm with Pablo here. I know atheists who believe in aliens and ghosts and think that's what " created" the universe. They also dismiss evolution by natural selection.

They just don't believe in god(s).

This is a sincere question that I'm exploring here. I'm not trying to bait you here--some Christians asked me this just a few days ago:

"What is the difference between aliens creating man or instigating panspermia and a god?" In other words, if aliens have superior technology and etc. why could they not be our god or superior?

Does it depend on how we define "god"? It sure seems like there must be alien life somewhere in the universe. If we are millions of years old, why couldn't there be higher life that evolved ten million years before us and is watching us to evolve us (Arthur C. Clarke) or destroy us (Hollywood)?

Thanks.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Depends on what you mean by the word God. The way it's usually used is to indicate a supernatural entity. Aliens might be advanced, but they wouldn't be supernatural.
15-10-2014, 11:39 AM
(15-10-2014 11:24 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 01:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yeah I'm with Pablo here. I know atheists who believe in aliens and ghosts and think that's what " created" the universe. They also dismiss evolution by natural selection.

This is a sincere question that I'm exploring here. I'm not trying to bait you here--some Christians asked me this just a few days ago:

"What is the difference between aliens creating man or instigating panspermia and a god?" In other words, if aliens have superior technology and etc. why could they not be our god or superior?

Does it depend on how we define "god"? It sure seems like there must be alien life somewhere in the universe. If we are millions of years old, why couldn't there be higher life that evolved ten million years before us and is watching us to evolve us (Arthur C. Clarke) or destroy us (Hollywood)?

Thanks.

Alien life forms could not have created the conditions that allowed for their evolution. All it leads to is unlimited regression.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-10-2014, 12:14 PM
(15-10-2014 11:24 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 01:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yeah I'm with Pablo here. I know atheists who believe in aliens and ghosts and think that's what " created" the universe. They also dismiss evolution by natural selection.

Thanks.

If aliens did seed life on Earth, then for all practical purposes, it would be no different if we called them god. Except we don't have to worship or acknowledge their relevance in our daily life and it has no bearing on the after-life question. Overall a pretty good result. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
15-10-2014, 12:24 PM
(14-10-2014 01:43 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Also, if their argument is "everything has a cause" then what caused their god? If God doesn't need a cause then why would the universe need one?

Would that make god an atheist of himself?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-10-2014, 12:35 PM
(15-10-2014 12:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 01:43 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Also, if their argument is "everything has a cause" then what caused their god? If God doesn't need a cause then why would the universe need one?

Would that make god an atheist of himself?

Technically no. He believes in a god.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 1 user Likes Winterwolf00's post
15-10-2014, 12:46 PM
(15-10-2014 12:35 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 12:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Would that make god an atheist of himself?

If he has good self esteem. Blink

15-10-2014, 12:59 PM
(15-10-2014 12:35 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 12:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Would that make god an atheist of himself?

LOL. He believes in himself, well yeah....but would god believe he - himself needed a cause to come into existence as his followers do regarding the universe and life on earth? So a question to ask a theist is, does your god think? If he does thinks what does he think of himself? From reading the bible he thinks quite a lot of himself. He thinks his shit don't stink, that's for sure. Dodgy

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-10-2014, 01:02 PM
(15-10-2014 12:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 12:35 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  Technically no. He believes in a god.

If he has good self esteem. Blink
Hopefully no inferiority complex.