"The failure of Atheism to account for existence"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2014, 01:05 PM
RE: "The failure of Atheism to account for existence"
(14-10-2014 05:00 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Atheism is nothing more than the disbelief in the supernatural.
I know, I know, technicalities...

But no. Atheism is a lack of belief in the existence of deities.

Supernatural beliefs can be held by atheists.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2014, 01:05 PM
This is like saying that gravity doesn't account for toilet paper, so gravity must be false. Facepalm

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
15-10-2014, 01:08 PM
(15-10-2014 01:05 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 05:00 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Atheism is nothing more than the disbelief in the supernatural.
I know, I know, technicalities...

The number of atheists I've met who believe in things like ghosts and pixies is depressing.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
15-10-2014, 01:13 PM
(15-10-2014 01:08 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 01:05 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I know, I know, technicalities...

The number of atheists I've met who believe in things like ghosts and pixies is depressing.
I know very few atheists IRL (less than 5). One of them, when I learned they were atheist, like the next day started talking about seeing their "Spirit Animal" last time they went camping. And...I just hate in general making people feel bad for believing silly things, so I stayed silent Undecided.

15-10-2014, 01:18 PM
(15-10-2014 01:08 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 01:05 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I know, I know, technicalities...

Well, they're not True Atheists™. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
15-10-2014, 01:45 PM
(15-10-2014 01:02 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 12:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If he has good self esteem. Blink
Hopefully no inferiority complex.

If we're talking about Yahweh here then his many insecurities are well established in the Buy Bull.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
15-10-2014, 06:21 PM
(14-10-2014 01:04 PM)fidel_cashflow Wrote:  So I did a random Yahoo! Search on the word Atheism in the hopes of stumbling onto a Yahoo! Article discussing god/creationism and/or Atheism because, as some of you may or may not know, a vast majority of Yahoo! Commenters are Conservative, Creationist, homophobic @$%*wits that just seem to love it when people like me decide to comment on an article.(I guess giving a bunch of thumbs down to someones comment and then threatening them with hellfire gives them great joy.) And I happened to stumble across this: The failure of Atheism to account for existence

Now, being the critical examiner that I am, I always try to sift through the BS to find the most prudent or most relevant part of any argument. And to me, this part of the article stuck out the most:

"If the atheist were to say that the universe brought itself into existence, then that would be illogical since something that does not exist has no nature; and with no nature, there are no attributes; and with no attributes, actions can’t be performed such as bringing itself into existence. So, that doesn’t work.
"

But of course, I'm sure Mr. Matt Slick, like most creationists, fail to realize that this argument could also be directly applied to the existence of god. I'm just curious to see what you guys think of the article and this argument in particular.

An omnipotent being transcends this problem.

Truth seeker.
15-10-2014, 06:22 PM
(14-10-2014 01:04 PM)fidel_cashflow Wrote:  And to me, this part of the article stuck out the most:

"If the atheist were to say that the universe brought itself into existence, then that would be illogical since something that does not exist has no nature; and with no nature, there are no attributes; and with no attributes, actions can’t be performed such as bringing itself into existence. So, that doesn’t work.
"

But of course, I'm sure Mr. Matt Slick, like most creationists, fail to realize that this argument could also be directly applied to the existence of god. I'm just curious to see what you guys think of the article and this argument in particular.
Didn't read the article, but in reference to the quote,

"If the atheist were to say that the universe brought itself into existence"

The atheist statement is "I am unconvinced by the idea of the existence of gods"
If questioned as to how our universe came into existence an honest atheist would refer that question through to a subset of scientists referred to as cosmologists, with regards to seeking verified, observable, empirical based ideas on the existence of our universe.

Many of these cosmologists have written books on this topic e.g. "From eternity to here" by Sean Carroll. These books present, in an accessible format, the ideas and evidences known to date. They highlight the areas of speculation and ultimately make the claim that although some pertinent information is known, the actual beginning of the universe is unknown.

Take note: This isn't the atheist view. It is the scientific one.

Without the scientific method it is all just speculation, politics and votes or push by force. It's not a search for truth. It is forcing a view onto people.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
15-10-2014, 06:28 PM
(15-10-2014 06:21 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 01:04 PM)fidel_cashflow Wrote:  So I did a random Yahoo! Search on the word Atheism in the hopes of stumbling onto a Yahoo! Article discussing god/creationism and/or Atheism because, as some of you may or may not know, a vast majority of Yahoo! Commenters are Conservative, Creationist, homophobic @$%*wits that just seem to love it when people like me decide to comment on an article.(I guess giving a bunch of thumbs down to someones comment and then threatening them with hellfire gives them great joy.) And I happened to stumble across this: The failure of Atheism to account for existence

Now, being the critical examiner that I am, I always try to sift through the BS to find the most prudent or most relevant part of any argument. And to me, this part of the article stuck out the most:

"

An omnipotent being transcends this problem.

An omnipotent being transcends nothing.
Until it can be proven this being even exists there is no point in giving it credit for anything.
15-10-2014, 06:29 PM
I still don't think the concept of omnipotence is logically sound.

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post