"The failure of Atheism to account for existence"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2014, 06:32 PM
RE: "The failure of Atheism to account for existence"
(15-10-2014 06:28 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 06:21 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  An omnipotent being transcends this problem.

An omnipotent being transcends nothing.
Until it can be proven this being even exists there is no point in giving it credit for anything.

Omnipotent and omnipresent are both non-starters. Omnibenevolent is the only one that's got a shot and that son of a bitch bastard Yahweh sure as shit ain't that.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-10-2014, 06:42 PM
(15-10-2014 06:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 06:28 PM)pablo Wrote:  An omnipotent being transcends nothing.
Until it can be proven this being even exists there is no point in giving it credit for anything.

Omnipotent and omnipresent are both non-starters. Omnibenevolent is the only one that's got a shot and that son of a bitch bastard Yahweh sure as shit ain't that.

Omnibenevolence and omnipotence cannot exist given this reality. Since omnipotence is required, omnibenevolence is out.

Truth seeker.
15-10-2014, 07:02 PM
(15-10-2014 06:21 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 01:04 PM)fidel_cashflow Wrote:  So I did a random Yahoo! Search on the word Atheism in the hopes of stumbling onto a Yahoo! Article discussing god/creationism and/or Atheism because, as some of you may or may not know, a vast majority of Yahoo! Commenters are Conservative, Creationist, homophobic @$%*wits that just seem to love it when people like me decide to comment on an article.(I guess giving a bunch of thumbs down to someones comment and then threatening them with hellfire gives them great joy.) And I happened to stumble across this: The failure of Atheism to account for existence

Now, being the critical examiner that I am, I always try to sift through the BS to find the most prudent or most relevant part of any argument. And to me, this part of the article stuck out the most:

"If the atheist were to say that the universe brought itself into existence, then that would be illogical since something that does not exist has no nature; and with no nature, there are no attributes; and with no attributes, actions can’t be performed such as bringing itself into existence. So, that doesn’t work.
"

But of course, I'm sure Mr. Matt Slick, like most creationists, fail to realize that this argument could also be directly applied to the existence of god. I'm just curious to see what you guys think of the article and this argument in particular.

An omnipotent being transcends this problem.

Surely you speak of our lord and master....
SANTA Bowing

15-10-2014, 07:08 PM
(15-10-2014 06:42 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 06:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Omnipotent and omnipresent are both non-starters. Omnibenevolent is the only one that's got a shot and that son of a bitch bastard Yahweh sure as shit ain't that.

Omnibenevolence and omnipotence cannot exist given this reality. Since omnipotence is required, omnibenevolence is out.

Omnibenevolence is the only characteristic which can exist. It does not require omnipotence or omnipresence, it only requires you not being a dick. So saith The Word as told by The Christ, The Buddha, and many many others. I don't expect you to understand or appreciate this 'cause you're kinda like just a fake dildo dick.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-10-2014, 07:16 PM
(15-10-2014 07:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 06:42 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Omnibenevolence and omnipotence cannot exist given this reality. Since omnipotence is required, omnibenevolence is out.

Omnibenevolence is the only characteristic which can exist. It does not require omnipotence or omnipresence, it only requires you not being a dick. So saith The Word as told by The Christ, The Buddha, and many many others. I don't expect you to understand or appreciate this 'cause you're kinda like just a fake dildo dick.

FacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalm
An omnipotent being must exist because there is a creation. If there were an omnibenevolent and omnipotent being, there would be no evil. There is evil. Therefore, there must be a being that is omipotent, but not omnibenevolent.

Truth seeker.
15-10-2014, 07:23 PM
(15-10-2014 07:16 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 07:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Omnibenevolence is the only characteristic which can exist. It does not require omnipotence or omnipresence, it only requires you not being a dick. So saith The Word as told by The Christ, The Buddha, and many many others. I don't expect you to understand or appreciate this 'cause you're kinda like just a fake dildo dick.

An omnipotent being must exist because there is a creation. If there were an omnibenevolent and omnipotent being, there would be no evil. There is evil. Therefore, there must be a being that is omipotent, but not omnibenevolent.

Or...most likely, there are none of these.
15-10-2014, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2014 07:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-10-2014 07:16 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  An omnipotent being must exist because there is a creation.

Says who? You? Pretty sure you ain't no cosmologist and ain't qualified to even open your trap let alone weigh in.

(15-10-2014 07:16 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  If there were an omnibenevolent and omnipotent being, there would be no evil. There is evil. Therefore, there must be a being that is omipotent, but not omnibenevolent.

Wrong. All omnibenevolence requires is that none of us are fucking dicks. No omnipotence necessary. The fact that there are dicks among us can eventually be rectified through attrition.

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-10-2014, 07:50 PM
(15-10-2014 07:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Omnibenevolence is the only characteristic which can exist. It does not require omnipotence or omnipresence, it only requires you not being a dick. So saith The Word as told by The Christ, The Buddha, and many many others. I don't expect you to understand or appreciate this 'cause you're kinda like just a fake dildo dick.

Great. An all powerful being with no conscious. We are all hosed.
15-10-2014, 08:28 PM
(15-10-2014 07:16 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  An omnipotent being must exist because there is a creation.
1. Was creation confirmed? (Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, so how can we account for a creation event?)
2. How does one conclude that creation requires an omnipotent being? Why not just the quantum vacuume?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
15-10-2014, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2014 06:42 AM by Bucky Ball.)

An "omnipotent being" *must* do nothing. It does whatever it wants. A system which *requires* a deity couldn't have been created by the very deity that requires it, or it requires. It's mandatory, thus it does NOT have the power to be exempt from that reality, and THAT is not "omnipotent". An omnibenevolent being could easily exist if it did not participate in evil. The real question is who defined what "omnibenevolent" means. Ever hear of "tough love". AT what point is it "abusive" love ?

And screw all this "there must be" ... shit.
At it's most fundamental level, Reality has been proven to be non-intuitive.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post