The fairy tale con - does it hurt kids?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2014, 09:34 PM
RE: The fairy tale con - does it hurt kids?
(12-03-2014 09:33 PM)john2 Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 09:26 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  And so the seeds of skepticism were sown. I can't imagine you were that traumatized over the tooth fairy.

I was traumatized in the way *I found out.* I thought my test that I mentioned was pretty clever for my age and I was angry when I found out later that she got the better of me.

I assure it that it wasn't done with malice. Speaking as a mom anyway.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-03-2014, 09:51 PM
(12-03-2014 09:33 PM)john2 Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 09:26 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  And so the seeds of skepticism were sown. I can't imagine you were that traumatized over the tooth fairy.

I was traumatized in the way *I found out.* I thought my test that I mentioned was pretty clever for my age and I was angry when I found out later that she got the better of me.

It was clever. I understand you were angry, but traumatized or just more wary?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
12-03-2014, 09:56 PM
(12-03-2014 09:51 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 09:33 PM)john2 Wrote:  I was traumatized in the way *I found out.* I thought my test that I mentioned was pretty clever for my age and I was angry when I found out later that she got the better of me.

It was. I understand you were angry, but traumatized?

Maybe traumatized is too strong a word but I was angry and couldn't shake the picture out of my head of her getting another envelope, copying my mark and laughing later how she got me. Anyhow the tooth fairy incident is not the only reason I became an atheist but it did start me questioning things. I just felt lied to and that upset me alot.
12-03-2014, 09:57 PM
(12-03-2014 09:26 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 09:22 PM)john2 Wrote:  Playing games and making up stuff is ok I have no problem there. It's when you try telling the kids that the stuff is actually real. I know in my case I was pretty young and if my mom had told me then I would have been disappointed but would have been proud that she knew I was smart enough to be told the truth. When I found out later that she purposely deceived me that traumatized me alot - it actually started me on the road to atheism as I realized people were lying to me.

And so the seeds of skepticism were sown. I can't imagine you were that traumatized over the tooth fairy.

I was traumatized over the tooth fairy. I still can't sleep in the dark.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
12-03-2014, 10:21 PM
(12-03-2014 09:56 PM)john2 Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 09:51 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  It was. I understand you were angry, but traumatized?

Maybe traumatized is too strong a word but I was angry and couldn't shake the picture out of my head of her getting another envelope, copying my mark and laughing later how she got me. Anyhow the tooth fairy incident is not the only reason I became an atheist but it did start me questioning things. I just felt lied to and that upset me alot.

That's understandable. Different people will react in different ways. But all in all it was beneficial for you. And I'm sure you forgave your mom eventually.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
12-03-2014, 10:24 PM
(12-03-2014 09:57 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I was traumatized over the tooth fairy. I still can't sleep in the dark.

Fucking tooth fairy succubus. You need me to sleep with you? Angel

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
12-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Kids have vivid imaginations. They make up sorts of crazy shit in their tiny heads. I lie to kids all the time. My friends kids think she is a female version of Ray Mears and owns a birdman suit and jumps off mountains when actually she is just taking the girls she teaches on a school camp.
12-03-2014, 11:21 PM
(12-03-2014 10:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 09:57 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I was traumatized over the tooth fairy. I still can't sleep in the dark.

Fucking tooth fairy succubus. You need me to sleep with you? Angel

Can we keep the light on?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
12-03-2014, 11:28 PM
(12-03-2014 11:21 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 10:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Fucking tooth fairy succubus. You need me to sleep with you? Angel

Sure, but just don't forget to bring one of these.

[Image: brown%20bag_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg?imgmax=800]

Tongue Angel

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
12-03-2014, 11:51 PM
(12-03-2014 11:21 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 10:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Fucking tooth fairy succubus. You need me to sleep with you? Angel

Yes

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post