The fairy tale con - does it hurt kids?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2014, 12:51 AM
RE: The fairy tale con - does it hurt kids?
Alternative thread title:

Cotton-wool wrappings or rude awakenings... which is best?

No better life-lesson than to find out that you're not as smart as you think you are.

I'm looking forward to that.

Dodgy

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
13-03-2014, 01:02 AM
(12-03-2014 09:00 PM)john2 Wrote:  You know the drill when you're a kid most of us are taught about santa claus and the easter bunny - later we find our parents were just screwing with us. Do you think these are stories harmless fun or lies that shouldn't be taught to kids? One of the things that inspired me to start this thread is a personal story I have:

Even when I was a kid I was very curious about things. When I was about 7 or 8 I wanted to do a test to see if the tooth fairy was real - since I already suspected my mother. The test I did was to put my tooth in an envelope and then mark it - by scribbling on it. If it was my mother I would know if the envelope was opened and because it was marked I would know if it was replaced. Well unfortunately my mother was aware of this test. In the morning I woke up, looked and got the envelope - it was unopened and the scribble mark was there. Inside was money and no tooth. Being a kid I concluded something magic must have happened. A few years later I was talking about santa with my mom and she fessed up to everything saying I was old enough now. I mentioned my tooth fairy test and she told me it was easy to copy my scribble mark. I remember feeling so angry at her. I felt that if I had been smart enough to ask questions and do a test like that she should have told me the truth. So do you think what she did was allright?

If you use it as a means to teach them critical thinking skills, I fail to see the problem with it.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
13-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Never, ever lie to children. As soon as a child understands you lied to her, her relationship with you begins eroding and erodes more with each lie, and when she really needs you she will will turn to someone else. By the time children are teens you may very well be lost to them just when they need you most.

It should go without saying, but information needs to be tailored to each child's level.

I believe many fairy tales are potentially damaging. Think about the warrior boy and stoicism and the sleeping girl until she is awakened with a kiss, and without a kiss she is disabled.

Fairy tales are an important part of a cultures inheritance. All in all, children love fairy tale. They are great discussion tools between parent and child. You can discuss problems with gender roles as well as religion and the "funny beliefs" fairy tales present and promote.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
13-03-2014, 09:23 AM
(13-03-2014 08:45 AM)Dee Wrote:  Never, ever lie to children.

So the other day when my three year old happened across an old glass pipe of mine forgotten about in the back of a miscellaneous drawer, I should have explained to him about getting high instead of just telling him it was a door knocker? Consider

(hey, it was the best I could come up with right off the top of my head )

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
13-03-2014, 09:28 AM
evenheathen Wrote:
"So the other day when my three year old happened across an old glass pipe of mine forgotten about in the back of a miscellaneous drawer, I should have explained to him about getting high instead of just telling him it was a door knocker?"

And I wrote:
"It should go without saying, but information needs to be tailored to each child's level."

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
13-03-2014, 09:38 AM
(13-03-2014 09:28 AM)Dee Wrote:  evenheathen Wrote:
"So the other day when my three year old happened across an old glass pipe of mine forgotten about in the back of a miscellaneous drawer, I should have explained to him about getting high instead of just telling him it was a door knocker?"

And I wrote:
"It should go without saying, but information needs to be tailored to each child's level."

The problem is that "never, ever lie" is an absolute that can run afoul of tailoring things "to each child's level". I would have went with "You should always try your best to be honest and not lie unnecessarily", as it gives a clear directive but with wiggle room.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes" -Jedi Master Kenobi

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
13-03-2014, 09:42 AM
(12-03-2014 11:51 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 11:21 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Can we keep the light on?

Yes
turn the lights on baby, before we lie down baby, turn the lights on
Turn the lights on baby, let it shine on baby turn the lights on!

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
13-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Of course then I had to take it away from him so it wouldn't break after he turned right around and started banging it against the door. Facepalm

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
13-03-2014, 09:50 AM
I disagree evolutionKills, I can't think of a time when I was not able to tell one of my children the truth when asked a question. When a child asked questions in my classroom that was not acceptable in my position to answer, I instructed that child to ask a parent.

Also, I was speaking about children and their questions, not about blurting out truths or facts just because, or before asked. Who would handle a child like that?

13-03-2014, 09:58 AM
(13-03-2014 09:50 AM)Dee Wrote:  I disagree evolutionKills, I can't think of a time when I was not able to tell one of my children the truth when asked a question. When a child asked questions in my classroom that was not acceptable in my position to answer, I instructed that child to ask a parent.

Also, I was speaking about children and their questions, not about blurting out truths or facts just because, or before asked. Who would handle a child like that?

Just because you can't think of a time doesn't mean that it cannot arise. I'm just always wary of absolutes, because they are unwieldy zero sum propositions. This is why I do not operate by absolutes, because there's always a caveat however improbable it may be.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post