The fairy tale con - does it hurt kids?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2014, 10:18 AM
RE: The fairy tale con - does it hurt kids?
I think back and remember the wonderful times at christmas growing up in Germany and believing in all that stuff like St Nicolas.

It was when a friend told me he wasnt real and I got into a fist fight with him over it and went home to ask about it. I was told the truth and that it was a thing of tradition with christmas, the presents, food , tree, etc.

Yeah I felt a little duped, but also like I had grown up just a bit, by now knowing what the adults did. I wouldnt want to trade those memories for the world.

That make sense ?

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
13-03-2014, 10:26 AM
By telling children the truth about Santa Claus, the tooth fairy and the easter bunny, you are giving them a valuable lesson in life about how easily other people can be fooled by authority.

Whether that lesson is important enough to rob the child of some 'magic of childhood' is up to you to decide.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
13-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Ironically, I was told from a very young age (two?) that Santa wasn't real. I still believed in God, because all the adults in my life never stopped telling me he was real.

That being said, if I were raising my girls on my own, I don't think I would have told them Santa was real. I would have probably told them stories about Santa, but just as a fictional character. I'm not much of a good liar, so I'd have a hard time telling them straight-faced that Santa is real. Seeing as how my wife is involved, the girls are being told Santa and God are real.
13-03-2014, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2014 11:32 AM by meremortal.)
double post
13-03-2014, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2014 11:40 AM by meremortal.)
13-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Depending on how you deal with santa and the gang it could be good or bad. We did all the usual things. When the kids found out we told them it was for fun and part of what makes being a kids magical. I think if you continue to decieve them after they know it is bad.
13-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Christmas, and all of it was great fun for me, as a child. And I don't feel that I suffered any trauma from it. I loved it! But I lived with a woman for many years who has a son. Obviously I helped raise him. She felt that it was important to keep up the falsehood as long as possible. To the point that he finally had to figure it out for himself. I'm not sure that's a good thing. So, I enjoyed it. Have fond memories of it. But it's a lie! It's all a lie! From Christmas to Halloween! I think that if we promote every other lie and say that those were just for fun: How can we be comfortable when we bring down the lie of God? That's the most friendly lie of all!
13-03-2014, 12:12 PM
(13-03-2014 11:56 AM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  That's the most friendly lie of all!

No, the most friendly lie was Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin..... damn, I loved those shows. Big Grin

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
13-03-2014, 01:11 PM
I think fairy tales are a very important part of childhood. My imagination would run wild and the stories and images would fill my lonely days with oh-so-pleasant daydreaming, which was great comfort when I didn't have any friends.

It didn't affect my skepticism at all. As I was growing up, I was able to tell what is real and what is not and I think that it mostly depends on the person and not the fairy tales themselves.

However, I don't think the concept of Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy is something I'd like to raise my kids by. I remember being able to enjoy fairy tales even if I was 100% sure that they were not real (up to this day, one of my favorite children's books is one about the Three Wise Men).

If I ever have kids, I would like to raise them with fairy tales after explaining to them that they are not real, and only leave the mystery and wonder for things we still do not know (like life on other planets) which is more reasonable for me. You don't have to take the magic away and even if you do, it doesn't mean they won't enjoy it. They will make up things on their own anyway.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
15-03-2014, 01:05 PM
The fairy tale con - does it hurt kids?
I can not fathom a more tragic childhood, than one with no fairy tales.

Using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes think4yourself's post