The fairy tale con - does it hurt kids?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2014, 01:03 AM
RE: The fairy tale con - does it hurt kids?
(16-03-2014 12:54 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(16-03-2014 12:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  People like pastors Dodgy

Careful. My daddy is a pastor. I don't feel that he's ever lied to me.....intentionally. (Except santa claus and the tooth fairy, but we've been over that)

And my Daddy's bigger'n your Daddy Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-03-2014, 01:23 AM
(16-03-2014 01:03 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-03-2014 12:54 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Careful. My daddy is a pastor. I don't feel that he's ever lied to me.....intentionally. (Except santa claus and the tooth fairy, but we've been over that)

And my Daddy's bigger'n your Daddy Tongue

That is what your mom said.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
16-03-2014, 01:39 AM
(16-03-2014 01:23 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  That is what your mom said.

Sadcryface

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
16-03-2014, 02:37 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2014 03:55 AM by Mathilda.)
If you don't want to lie to your child about Santa Claus but also don't want them to miss out on the magic of childhood, could you just put presents in their room and not say how they got there? Let them try and figure it out over time.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
16-03-2014, 03:35 AM
I'm coming late to this party...but I did the whole Santa thing. I can't say either of my non-god-believing kids were harmed by it. The older one took over getting shit ready on Christimas eve --
One year they even left 'Santa' dad beer and sausage.

We still do stockings and I'll even tease them. You'd better be good or Santa will put coal in your stocking...

But mom....technically you're Santa.

Yeah? So?

I never cared much for the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy...so we skipped Easter. We did the first tooth....and that was it.

Neither kid questioned it.

other fairy tales fucked me up way more than Santa did.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-03-2014, 05:25 AM
They are harmless, IMO. Except for some people with psychological disturbances, maybe.
[+] 1 user Likes Juv's post
16-03-2014, 10:13 PM
The fairy tale con - does it hurt kids?
I can't, I mean wtf is wrong with y'all? If you feel that your parents "deceived you" or lied to you cause they told u Santa or the damn Easter Bunny was real.. lol!!!!! You need some serious help, your issues go way deeper than that!
I personally would have been pissed off at my parents and felt cheated had they NOT let me be a CHILD and believe in magic and fairy tales.
This world we live in is so fucked up the way it is, don't rob your kids of their childhood also! SMH

Using Tapatalk
16-03-2014, 10:19 PM
(16-03-2014 10:13 PM)think4yourself Wrote:  I can't, I mean wtf is wrong with y'all? If you feel that your parents "deceived you" or lied to you cause they told u Santa or the damn Easter Bunny was real.. lol!!!!! You need some serious help, your issues go way deeper than that!
I personally would have been pissed off at my parents and felt cheated had they NOT let me be a CHILD and believe in magic and fairy tales.
This world we live in is so fucked up the way it is, don't rob your kids of their childhood also! SMH

I don't feel that way now lol. I just did at the time.
My being traumatized by the tooth fairy has nothin to do with my parents btw. That's just a separate issue lol.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
16-03-2014, 10:32 PM
As far as I remember believing in Santa et al just gave way to being in on the secret and playing along for my younger siblings. Is that a more difficult transition for the youngest or only child perhaps?

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
16-03-2014, 10:39 PM
(12-03-2014 09:00 PM)john2 Wrote:  You know the drill when you're a kid most of us are taught about santa claus and the easter bunny - later we find our parents were just screwing with us. Do you think these are stories harmless fun or lies that shouldn't be taught to kids?

You know, when it's, like, Halloween, and the kiddos all *know* it's just make-believe, why not have fun with it.

[Image: peanutnetworkgif.gif]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post