The fairy tale con - does it hurt kids?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2014, 08:36 AM
RE: The fairy tale con - does it hurt kids?
(16-03-2014 02:37 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  If you don't want to lie to your child about Santa Claus but also don't want them to miss out on the magic of childhood, could you just put presents in their room and not say how they got there? Let them try and figure it out over time.

I think childhood is already pretty "magical", even without adding stuff like Santa. Think about all the stuff that "just happens" when you're a kid:
  • All of the Christmas (and other holiday) events just happen.
  • Food is on the table at meal times.
  • Snacks are in the cupboard.
  • Electricity is in your outlets and lights.
  • Water comes out of the taps.
  • Parents can drive and cars have gas.
  • Parents occasionally have money for toys.
Kids get a lot of stuff provided for them before they have to actually coordinate those things, let alone do the work to make them happen. I have so little sympathy for my five-year-old when she makes such a big mess with her numerous toys that she feels she can't be troubled to clean it all on her own; both because she has so many freaking toys and also because that's almost all the work we expect out of her. She's at an age where she doesn't appreciate all the other stuff my wife and I make happen for her.

I think the only real difference here is Santa adds a face to all that magic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
17-03-2014, 08:44 AM
I don't think it's harmful to children when you let children know that it's just a fairy tale. I figured out pretty early that the tooth fairy and easter bunny was my mom. I think I was 5 when I ran up to my dad to tell him I was excited for Santa to visit. He told me 'Grow up. Santa isn't real'. Mom kind of ripped into him for that one...but he's never been good with emotional stuff.

It's a fun story for kids. Rudolph, Frosty, Rabbits and eggs...it's all in good fun. The only difference I see from religion is that my parents were able to admit that a guy flying around to give presents and a rabbit hiding eggs in the house aren't real. We still had fun on those days, but we knew it was my parents just setting the tone.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 1 user Likes =jesse='s post
17-03-2014, 11:36 AM
(15-03-2014 05:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If you were to suddenly decide to NEVER lie to your child there is a long list of things that you would have to remove from their lives:

Santa Claus
The Easter Bunny
The Tooth Fairy
All the classic fairy tales
Aesop's Fables
Dr. Suess
Cartoons
Comics
Magic Shows
Religion
Advertising
Reality shows
The list is nearly endless.

Television
Newspapers

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
18-03-2014, 03:52 AM
(15-03-2014 01:05 PM)think4yourself Wrote:  I can not fathom a more tragic childhood, than one with no fairy tales.

That would make for a really gloomy childhood, IDK if it would be the most tragic childhood, though.
18-03-2014, 08:17 AM
See I loved fairy tales. Still do. I had tons of books and videos all with fairy tales and magic. I still have a copy of Grimm's that is now dog-eared. My favorite books now are high fantasy books. Why? I love fantasy.

I don't think it hurt anything. I wasn't hurt when I found out there was no Santa, he just fell in with my other books and fairy tales. And I still like Santa! I think last Christmas I went to the mall and was giddy when I saw him (I was walking on the upper story and saw the photo thing on the bottom floor, Chet was pissed 'cause with all the parents the Starbucks line was all the way down the hall).