The faith lens

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2015, 08:20 AM
The faith lens
Banjo's thread "The truth about PhD creationists" got me thinking about the way in which my former faith altered everything I saw, heard, read, or tried to learn. It is amazing how pervasive such biases can be.

For instance, when I first started learning geology, I fell into the traps of not believing in a literal 7 day creation but that "god's days are longer than ours" or "it's just a metaphor." It also bled over into my desire to see pattern, process, and influence in evolution where there was none. It is something that is clearly ingrained in the human psyche, to find pattern for instance or to justify your preconceived conclusion by manipulating reality to fit into it. And that is exactly what the video in Banjo's thread touches on. Someone who has manipulated not only the basic information they took in during their education, but the very thought process by which they view all subsequent information.

I can think of several other personal examples where my faith trumped the facts. Anyone got any good ones?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2015, 08:52 AM
RE: The faith lens
(16-10-2015 08:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Banjo's thread "The truth about PhD creationists" got me thinking about the way in which my former faith altered everything I saw, heard, read, or tried to learn. It is amazing how pervasive such biases can be.

For instance, when I first started learning geology, I fell into the traps of not believing in a literal 7 day creation but that "god's days are longer than ours" or "it's just a metaphor." It also bled over into my desire to see pattern, process, and influence in evolution where there was none. It is something that is clearly ingrained in the human psyche, to find pattern for instance or to justify your preconceived conclusion by manipulating reality to fit into it. And that is exactly what the video in Banjo's thread touches on. Someone who has manipulated not only the basic information they took in during their education, but the very thought process by which they view all subsequent information.

I can think of several other personal examples where my faith trumped the facts. Anyone got any good ones?

I remember back when I believed and would see arguments or articles critical of God. My reaction was immediate and angry. I would say internally "that must be wrong" before even finishing the article. Thankfully, I realized that my reaction was emotional rather than intellectual and I took a good look at those arguments. When I did, I saw that my belief didn't have a leg to stand on and even then it took several more years before I finally admitted that there was no rational reason to believe in a god.

Human beings are great at evading things that are uncomfortable or frightening. I think that one of the "secrets" of life is to train oneself to always look at reality and see what is really there instead of what we would like to see.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
16-10-2015, 02:08 PM
RE: The faith lens
A really good one is where Michael Behe argues in his book The Edge of Evolution that chloroquine-resistant malaria require an intelligent designer. Behe has twisted his rationality so much he's arguing for a god that is literally designing drug-resistant malaria, his god is a literal bio-terrorist!

Behe’s (malevolent) intelligent designer is still at work

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post