The fall of man and Christian self loathing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2015, 09:09 AM
RE: The fall of man and Christian self loathing
(05-09-2015 07:17 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  The thing I find so funny is now often believers will play the allegory card and not ponder the inplications if the story isn't true. The other day, my wife said that she really doesn't care whether the Adam and Eve story is true or not. I couldn't help but point out that if the story isn't true and original sin is BS, then there is no need for attonement and therefore the entire christian religion implodes. She had no response. I just can't imagine how she can't see that she essestially refuted her own faith. Nor is she even close to the first person I have heard that from.

You understand the Bible better than a lot of people who profess to be Christians. It's a shame you don't see that the Bible is true.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2015, 09:14 AM
(06-09-2015 09:09 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 07:17 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  The thing I find so funny is now often believers will play the allegory card and not ponder the inplications if the story isn't true. The other day, my wife said that she really doesn't care whether the Adam and Eve story is true or not. I couldn't help but point out that if the story isn't true and original sin is BS, then there is no need for attonement and therefore the entire christian religion implodes. She had no response. I just can't imagine how she can't see that she essestially refuted her own faith. Nor is she even close to the first person I have heard that from.

You understand the Bible better than a lot of people who profess to be Christians. It's a shame you don't see that the Bible is true.

I can't speak for OC, but the more I understood the Bible, the less I believed.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
10-09-2015, 03:17 PM
And when does the part that "God needs money" (the church) come in to play. After breaking her down, to help her redeem herself?
12-09-2015, 02:02 PM
This was the greatest struggle I had as a Christian, just constant fear that I was an awful person doomed to the confines of hell. Constant dismay that I could never live up to God's " holiness. "

Now I realize that God's a self-centered hateful bastard, or He would be if He existed.

I feel very sorry and can relate your wife, I only hope things get better for her.

[Image: spore_creature___placerias_png_by_tote_m...7onlgm.png]" Placerias tastes amazing. " --- Me
[+] 1 user Likes IntrovertedPostosuchus's post
12-09-2015, 03:03 PM
The garden of Eden. Adam and Eve had forbidden fruit from the tree of knowledge. When they were kicked out it meant being able to learn was suppressed. Remember, these two people were just created with no knowledge of a past or how things came about. Imagine Eve with her first period, or Adam with his first erection. They have no knowledge of why this was happening. How did they know what sin was, did god tell them the consequences so they could make an educated choice? Apparently no,t so the writers of the bible have promoted this idea of sin since then. But why are we to feel guilty for what they did? It controls the masses who might rebel while the king and his armies are elsewhere. Kings worked hand in hand with church leaders.
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
13-09-2015, 01:27 AM
I've also encountered the "genesis is a 'spiritual' truth but the rest of the bible is real" approach. Why wouldn't god just put what actually happened as the creation story? Plus, the OT is just "taken out of context". How do you take stoning people out of context? It's pretty clear. I hope christianity dies throughout the next generation.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
15-09-2015, 07:39 PM
(06-09-2015 09:09 AM)theophilus Wrote:  

He knows the Bible not to be true precisely because he understands it so well.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post