The fictional Pope Peter

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
23-05-2015, 09:05 PM
RE: The fictional Pope Peter
(23-05-2015 08:53 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 08:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'll have to look it up. I think it was much much later than 2nd Century. The "schism" happened a lot later, I think. I need to look it up to be sure.

The schrism between the easter and western church happened in the year 1054

Yes....Wiki says this was the formal terminal event to the bad relationship
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2015, 09:18 PM
(23-05-2015 08:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We know for sure that the 4 Patriarchs were EQUAL until Rome declared and asserted their primacy, (rather late in the game). They cooked up the primacy of Peter to justify the Roman primate. There is no way Jesus said "Thou art Peter and upon this rock I shall build my church". There was no such thing as a "church" at the time of Jesus. (The Greek word used in the gospel was "eccesia" ("congregation" or "community"). It was a cooked up lie.

And let's not forget that this was only the Catholic version of Christianity.... there were many others, including the Marcionites and the Gnostics.
23-05-2015, 09:21 PM
To be perfectly honest, I did not really know about the "Pentarchy", ( 5 centered bishoprics). I thought it was always a 4 centered thingy. Obviously Constantinople became a center at some point. I need to learn about that. (!!) Wow. I had no idea.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
23-05-2015, 09:22 PM
(23-05-2015 09:02 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 08:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  And by then the Patriarch of Constantinople was one of the Primates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecumenical_...tantinople

The schrism happened because of the filioque and the roman claim of the Pope supremacy. Apparently in early christianity each patriach was the leader of their area or jurisdiction. The idea of Pope supremacy ( one person ruling over the whole church) was odd to the rest of christianity.

Thanks! I learned a new word....filioque
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
23-05-2015, 09:23 PM
(23-05-2015 09:18 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 08:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We know for sure that the 4 Patriarchs were EQUAL until Rome declared and asserted their primacy, (rather late in the game). They cooked up the primacy of Peter to justify the Roman primate. There is no way Jesus said "Thou art Peter and upon this rock I shall build my church". There was no such thing as a "church" at the time of Jesus. (The Greek word used in the gospel was "eccesia" ("congregation" or "community"). It was a cooked up lie.

And let's not forget that this was only the Catholic version of Christianity.... there were many others, including the Marcionites and the Gnostics.

Your threads discussing the origins of christianity are very interesting. Keep up the great job.Thumbsup

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 2 users Like Leo's post
23-05-2015, 09:26 PM
(23-05-2015 09:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  To be perfectly honest, I did not really know about the "Pentarchy", ( 5 centered bishoprics). I thought it was always a 4 centered thingy. Obviously Constantinople became a center at some point. I need to learn about that. (!!) Wow. I had no idea.

I'm guessing, but that would probably be when Constantine moved the capital of the Roman Empire to there in 330 CE.
23-05-2015, 09:27 PM
(23-05-2015 09:22 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 09:02 PM)Leo Wrote:  The schrism happened because of the filioque and the roman claim of the Pope supremacy. Apparently in early christianity each patriach was the leader of their area or jurisdiction. The idea of Pope supremacy ( one person ruling over the whole church) was odd to the rest of christianity.

Thanks! I learned a new word....filioque

Orthodox christians don't accept the roman change of the nicene creed. They don't like the change of the holy spirit proceeding from the father and son. The original nicene creed says the Holy Spirit came only from the father. Go figure.

[+] 2 users Like Leo's post
23-05-2015, 09:28 PM
(23-05-2015 09:23 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 09:18 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  And let's not forget that this was only the Catholic version of Christianity.... there were many others, including the Marcionites and the Gnostics.

Your threads discussing the origins of christianity are very interesting. Keep up the great job.Thumbsup

Thanks. It's really nice to see that some people are interested in the history, even if it's only told by an amateur like myself. And it is history that is still very much alive today, in that it affects the way people think and behave.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
23-05-2015, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2015 09:36 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I knew about "filioque" (Latin for "and the son"). That is so interesting and one of the most interesting arguments from the councils ... as they cooked up what became "Christianity" ... and SO different from it's Hebrew roots. I think Fordham University has links to all the counsilar proceedings, if you want to read them making up all the BS.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-05-2015, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2015 09:57 PM by Leo.)
(23-05-2015 09:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I knew about "filioque" (Latin for "and the son"). That is so interesting and one of the most interesting arguments from the councils ... as they cooked up what became "Christianity" ... and SO different from it's Hebrew roots. I think Fordham University has links to all the counsilar proceedings, if you want to read them making up all the BS.

The truth is that original christianity don't exists anymore since a very long time ago. Orthodox christians see the Roman Catholic Church as a medieval modification of christianity and they are right. Protestants aren't the original christians. Protestantism came from Roman Catholism . And the " orthodox " church is also a modification of Yeshua teachings. Orthodox christianity is based in the Paul teachings.