The fictional Pope Peter

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
29-05-2015, 09:57 PM
RE: The fictional Pope Peter
(29-05-2015 05:40 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 05:32 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Oh.

(Now what?)

I guess we just hang around here and hope that some Catholic Christian tries to tell us how Peter was, in fact, the first pope, and then we shoot him off at the kneecaps.

Where is Q when you need him? ( Although I don't think he's a Catholic )

That's a good idea. Bound to be one along eventually.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2015, 10:32 PM
(28-05-2015 02:21 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 07:32 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  ^^^^^^^^
I have wanted to pick that one up. It is kind of awkward though with my wife. At the same time, she buys these silly bible studies with our money. She just makes me feel guilty for spending it...... dammit.

oh, poor you.

She tells you what books you're allowed to buy? That's not fair.

No, I didn't mean it like that. It is just awkward. I doubt she would say anything specific but my guess she would be "saddened" if yhat makes any sense.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
30-05-2015, 05:08 PM
(29-05-2015 09:57 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 05:40 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I guess we just hang around here and hope that some Catholic Christian tries to tell us how Peter was, in fact, the first pope, and then we shoot him off at the kneecaps.

Where is Q when you need him? ( Although I don't think he's a Catholic )

That's a good idea. Bound to be one along eventually.

They're a bit thin on the ground in these parts.

History ain't their strong suit.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2015, 11:49 AM
They have a strong suit?

31-05-2015, 03:28 PM
(31-05-2015 11:49 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  They have a strong suit?

Catholics are good at some things

-fleecing the public
-investing in real estate
-indoctrinating kids
-starting wars
-creating division in societies
-oppressing women and homosexuals
-destroying individualism
-suppressing rational thought
-controlling public opinion
-inventing their own laws
-ignoring everyone else's
-running a worldwide pedophile ring
-writing their own versions of history, as discussed here
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
01-06-2015, 12:25 AM
(29-05-2015 05:32 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 04:34 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Agreed.

Oh.

(Now what?)

Okay, so now that things have settled down, consider this:

http://www.ntcanon.org/Marcion.shtml

Quote:At the end of July, 144 CE, a hearing took place before the clergy of the Christian congregations in Rome. Marcion, the son of the bishop of Sinope (a sea-port of Pontus along the Black Sea) who had become a wealthy ship-owner, stood before the presbyters to expound his teachings in order to win others to his point of view. For some years he had been a member of one of the Roman churches, and had proved the sincerity of his faith by making relatively large contributions. No doubt he was a respected member of the Christian community.

Why would Marcion go to Rome for some meshugganah hearing when in reality it seems that Rome was not yet significant in the xtian sphere compared to places such as Antioch and Alexandria? Could this be nothing more than another part of the myth of Roman "primacy" which developed later? Of particular note is the underlined part. Why the fuck would someone from Sinope be a "member" of a Roman church? This stinks.

02-06-2015, 10:40 AM
(29-05-2015 04:42 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 04:21 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Again, it's not much other than Emperor Manual 1.01 as noted before. I suppose one could argue about commissioning Josephus to write a history of the Jewish War but it wasn't finished until 78 and Vespasian was dead a year later. Titus was dead 2 years after that and, it seems, Domitian did not like Jews.

Hurrah! I've managed to find the the podcast. It is number 73 on Vespasian..."the only man who improved...." I think it goes for about 20 minutes and it is worth listening to the whole thing.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/the-...54474?mt=2

S-O-L I don't do Itunes....or Ianything for that matter.

02-06-2015, 04:29 PM
(29-05-2015 07:57 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 06:31 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Can't help. I'm a former Catholic and even then I thought they just made that shit up to fill in some blanks.

Has Tarzan commented here? I haven't really kept up with this thread.

Nope.

Is he a catholic? Bring him here please.

Tarzan Smith is a Catholic. Q most definitely is not.
03-06-2015, 02:35 AM
(01-06-2015 12:25 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 05:32 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Oh.

(Now what?)

Okay, so now that things have settled down, consider this:

http://www.ntcanon.org/Marcion.shtml

Quote:At the end of July, 144 CE, a hearing took place before the clergy of the Christian congregations in Rome. Marcion, the son of the bishop of Sinope (a sea-port of Pontus along the Black Sea) who had become a wealthy ship-owner, stood before the presbyters to expound his teachings in order to win others to his point of view. For some years he had been a member of one of the Roman churches, and had proved the sincerity of his faith by making relatively large contributions. No doubt he was a respected member of the Christian community.

Why would Marcion go to Rome for some meshugganah hearing when in reality it seems that Rome was not yet significant in the xtian sphere compared to places such as Antioch and Alexandria? Could this be nothing more than another part of the myth of Roman "primacy" which developed later? Of particular note is the underlined part. Why the fuck would someone from Sinope be a "member" of a Roman church? This stinks.

Marcion is a mystery man. I'm not sure anyone knows exactly why he went to Rome. Maybe because it was the centre of the known world?

I'm not an authority on Marcion, but it doesn't sound as though he's the sort of guy who would become a member of the church he wasn't in charge of.

I had an interesting thought about him. I doubt that he promoted his version of Luke. Paul was Marcion's hero. Marcion allegedly promoted Paul's ten letters. I suspect the church fathers manufactured Marcion's connection to Luke so that it appeared as though Paul knew something of a Jesus. Just a thought.
03-06-2015, 02:44 AM
(02-06-2015 04:29 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 07:57 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Nope.

Is he a catholic? Bring him here please.

Tarzan Smith is a Catholic. Q most definitely is not.

Well Tarzan...the floor is yours....if you're able to talk about the popery without getting proctalgia fugax I would like to hear from you.