The finality of death is not a good thing to me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2016, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2016 12:03 PM by SuperMarioGamer.)
The finality of death is not a good thing to me
Some people view the finality of death as making this one and only life more valuable. But not me. I crave eternal bliss. It has to be the type of eternal blissful life I want though, otherwise it will be of no value to me.

Now if I were someone who would eventually grow tired, bored, or even insane from living an eternal blissful life where such a life would eventually lose all its value, then I would be grateful for death.

I would view death as making this life more valuable and I would be very optimistic about that. But I am not that type of person. Therefore, the finality of death is a very bad thing to me. I view it in a very pessimistic manner and this pessimism hinders my enjoyment and value in this life I have.

If death were final, I would be quite angry and disappointed with myself since I am nothing more than some biological process that is here for a short time just to forever decay when I die. That would make me angry at myself and look down upon myself even though it is not my fault and is not something I can control.

If death were final, then I might as well just throw myself away and forever be gone then. That is how angry at myself I would be. I would view myself as worthless and would think to myself that I might as well just be thrown away and decay away.

The only life of value to me is a life where I can get what I want. Life must always work out in my favor. If I can't get what I want, then that is when I would give up, throw myself away, and allow the organisms to decay me. It does not matter how much my family would grieve for me or anything else. As long as I can't get what I want, then I would give up on life entirely and throw myself away.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SuperMarioGamer's post
15-12-2016, 02:32 PM
RE: The finality of death is not a good thing to me
(15-12-2016 02:23 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Some people view the finality of death as making this one and only life more valuable. But not me. I crave eternal bliss. It has to be the type of eternal blissful life I want though, otherwise it will be of no value to me.

Now if I were someone who would eventually grow tired, bored, or even insane from living an eternal blissful life where such a life would eventually lose all its value, then I would be grateful for death.

I would view death as making this life more valuable and I would be very optimistic about that. But I am not that type of person. Therefore, the finality of death is a very bad thing to me. I view it in a very pessimistic manner and this pessimism hinders my enjoyment and value in this life I have.

Ah, an interesting life followed by blissful sleep is where it's at!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-12-2016, 02:36 PM
There there. We all die eventually. Hey, you could die tomorrow Smile Or even in two minutes time Smile What would you like to do in the last two minutes of your life? I'm spending mine replying to you Tongue On the assumption, admittedly, that there are not the last two minutes of my life. If they really were I'd very much regret (except there wouldn't be a me to regret) spending them writing to some random stranger.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-12-2016, 02:37 PM
(15-12-2016 02:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  There there. We all die eventually. Hey, you could die tomorrow Smile Or even in two minutes time Smile What would you like to do in the last two minutes of your life? I'm spending mine replying to you Tongue On the assumption, admittedly, that there are not the last two minutes of my life. If they really were I'd very much regret (except there wouldn't be a me to regret) spending them writing to some random stranger.

But wait. Science says that they will soon find a way to replace our organs. We will get to replace our hearts so we can extend our lives.
15-12-2016, 02:39 PM
I think it was Hitchens that said something like:

"The worst thing about dying isn't that one day the party will end... it's that you will have to leave knowing that the party will keep going on without you."

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 10 users Like unsapien's post
15-12-2016, 02:43 PM
(15-12-2016 02:37 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(15-12-2016 02:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  There there. We all die eventually. Hey, you could die tomorrow Smile Or even in two minutes time Smile What would you like to do in the last two minutes of your life? I'm spending mine replying to you Tongue On the assumption, admittedly, that there are not the last two minutes of my life. If they really were I'd very much regret (except there wouldn't be a me to regret) spending them writing to some random stranger.

But wait. Science says that they will soon find a way to replace our organs. We will get to replace our hearts so we can extend our lives.

The good news is that there is such a thing as human cells that can replicate indefinitely:

HeLa Cells

The bad news is they are cancer cells.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
15-12-2016, 02:43 PM
(15-12-2016 02:37 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  But wait. Science says that they will soon find a way to replace our organs. We will get to replace our hearts so we can extend our lives.

That's nice. So... what are you gonna do with your old self at 150 years of age?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-12-2016, 02:44 PM
(15-12-2016 02:39 PM)unsapien Wrote:  I think it was Hitchens that said something like:

"The worst thing about dying isn't that one day the party will end... it's that you will have to leave knowing that the party will keep going on without you."

Refer to my previous post I have just written. Perhaps there is a way for me to live forever in this life.

Edit: Nevermind.
15-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Well, if you want to have someone who will listen to you, I currently have a lot of free time and am in a good disposition. Why don't you start from the beginning and explain us your problems? I'm not a shrink, but I have heard that talking to someone, even an idiot like me, is better than staying in silence. For simplicity sake, I will ignore your precedent thread on this forum which had almost the same subject if I remember well.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
15-12-2016, 03:10 PM
(15-12-2016 02:23 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Now if I were someone who would eventually grow tired, bored, or even insane from living an eternal blissful life where such a life would eventually lose all its value, then I would be grateful for death.
I'm not sure whether you believe in eternal heaven or not, but if you do, isn't this exactly what would happen? Granted it would take an enormous amount of time to see and do everything and grow bored, but eventually it would happen and then you would still have eternity left... ugh!

(15-12-2016 02:23 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  I would view death as making this life more valuable and I would be very optimistic about that. But I am not that type of person. Therefore, the finality of death is a very bad thing to me. I view it in a very pessimistic manner and this pessimism hinders my enjoyment and value in this life I have.
You have life now. You can make the best of whatever your situation is or you can make it worse. When you die, it will be just like before you were ever born. So it's not bad, it's just nothing. So why let that color your experience now before you get there? It's a choice. I do understand becoming more positive thinking about it is easier said than done. But, if you make a conscious effort to focus on what's good about your life - set a few minutes per day aside to do exactly that if you need to - you can eventually retrain your brain to think more positively. Also, try to catch and stop your negative thoughts, especially about death.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post