The finality of death is not a good thing to me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2016, 05:55 AM
RE: The finality of death is not a good thing to me
(16-12-2016 05:40 AM)unsapien Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 05:33 AM)Leo Wrote:  I'm the reincarnation of CHUCK NORRIS. Death isn't real.

Umm...the first incarnation of Chuck Norris isn't dead yet. Drinking Beverage

Chuck Norris can reincarnate without dying.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
16-12-2016, 06:16 AM
For me personally, I think if I lived more than 200 years, I would begin to lose my humanity. Other people might be different, but I think as time went on past a certain point, human beings would naturally begin to care less about the consequences of their actions.

I can envision people thinking ..."I've lived a good long life and accomplished everything I've ever wanted (without breaking the law), but I've never robbed a bank or murdered someone."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
16-12-2016, 06:47 AM
I'm less afraid of death now I'm out of religion, the idea of eternal life is now horrific to me, endless and ultimately meaningless existence its crazy to even want or hope for that.
16-12-2016, 07:57 AM
(15-12-2016 02:23 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Some people view the finality of death as making this one and only life more valuable. But not me. I crave eternal bliss. It has to be the type of eternal blissful life I want though, otherwise it will be of no value to me.

The finality of death, or living in some fantastical eternal bliss, shouldn't impact the value someone places on their life; or prevent them from living a fulfilling one. Concerning yourself with these types of things...or whining about them...will lead you nowhere; as it is something you cannot control.

(15-12-2016 02:23 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Now if I were someone who would eventually grow tired, bored, or even insane from living an eternal blissful life where such a life would eventually lose all its value, then I would be grateful for death.

How do you know you wouldn't grow bored, and eventually go insane? Have you tried living for eternity before?

(15-12-2016 02:23 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  I would view death as making this life more valuable and I would be very optimistic about that. But I am not that type of person. Therefore, the finality of death is a very bad thing to me. I view it in a very pessimistic manner and this pessimism hinders my enjoyment and value in this life I have.

That's a personal problem that you need to sort out, then.

I, and many others, do not have any issues carrying out valuable, fulfilling lives, knowing that it will all come to a close some day. Of course, I could deceive myself into thinking there's a glorious, blissful, eternal life waiting for me after death...but really, that's just wishful thinking; and stupid.

We are born. We live. We die. Deal with it.

"The life of man is of no greater importance to the universe than that of an oyster." - David Hume
16-12-2016, 08:23 AM
What's the problem? You wouldn't know that death ever happened, because you'd be dead.
16-12-2016, 10:45 AM
(15-12-2016 02:23 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Some people view the finality of death as making this one and only life more valuable. But not me. I crave eternal bliss. It has to be the type of eternal blissful life I want though, otherwise it will be of no value to me.

Now if I were someone who would eventually grow tired, bored, or even insane from living an eternal blissful life where such a life would eventually lose all its value, then I would be grateful for death.

I would view death as making this life more valuable and I would be very optimistic about that. But I am not that type of person. Therefore, the finality of death is a very bad thing to me. I view it in a very pessimistic manner and this pessimism hinders my enjoyment and value in this life I have.

That's tough. Me, I always wanted to swim in an ice-cream sunday and live in a gingerbread house. We don't always get what we want.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 3 users Like whateverist's post
16-12-2016, 11:44 AM
The finality of death is not a good thing to me
(16-12-2016 10:45 AM)whateverist Wrote:  I always wanted to swim in an ice-cream sunday and live in a gingerbread house. We don't always get what we want.

Your dreams are quite attainable. The only thing stopping you is you.

This might not be a Sunday but is close enough.
[Image: 042c99d6a32757242e99590b87dde5bc.jpg]

You can decorate your house to look like a gingerbread house. You can even dress up like a gingerbread man if you want.
[Image: 552c5116965ab24f353fa299c45a72be.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
16-12-2016, 12:02 PM
(16-12-2016 07:57 AM)Serpent Speech Wrote:  

The finality of death, or living in some fantastical eternal bliss, shouldn't impact the value someone places on their life; or prevent them from living a fulfilling one. Concerning yourself with these types of things...or whining about them...will lead you nowhere; as it is something you cannot control.

(15-12-2016 02:23 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Now if I were someone who would eventually grow tired, bored, or even insane from living an eternal blissful life where such a life would eventually lose all its value, then I would be grateful for death.

How do you know you wouldn't grow bored, and eventually go insane? Have you tried living for eternity before?

(15-12-2016 02:23 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  I would view death as making this life more valuable and I would be very optimistic about that. But I am not that type of person. Therefore, the finality of death is a very bad thing to me. I view it in a very pessimistic manner and this pessimism hinders my enjoyment and value in this life I have.

That's a personal problem that you need to sort out, then.

I, and many others, do not have any issues carrying out valuable, fulfilling lives, knowing that it will all come to a close some day. Of course, I could deceive myself into thinking there's a glorious, blissful, eternal life waiting for me after death...but really, that's just wishful thinking; and stupid.

We are born. We live. We die. Deal with it.

If death were final, I would be quite angry and disappointed with myself since I am nothing more than some biological process that is here for a short time just to forever decay when I die. That would make me angry at myself and look down upon myself even though it is not my fault and is not something I can control.

If death were final, then I might as well just throw myself away and forever be gone then. That is how angry at myself I would be. I would view myself as worthless and would think to myself that I might as well just be thrown away and decay away.

The only life of value to me is a life where I can get what I want. Life must always work out in my favor. If I can't get what I want, then that is when I would give up, throw myself away, and allow the organisms to decay me. It does not matter how much my family would grieve for me or anything else. As long as I can't get what I want, then I would give up on life entirely and throw myself away.
16-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Death is final...there is no 'if'.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
16-12-2016, 12:08 PM
If death is final (and there is no reason for thinking otherwise) then you will simply be dead not disappointed.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.