The finality of death is not a good thing to me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2016, 12:08 PM
RE: The finality of death is not a good thing to me
(16-12-2016 12:02 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  The only life of value to me is a life where I can get what I want. Life must always work out in my favor. If I can't get what I want, then that is when I would give up, throw myself away, and allow the organisms to decay me. It does not matter how much my family would grieve for me or anything else. As long as I can't get what I want, then I would give up on life entirely and throw myself away.

Boy, you've got problems! Shocking

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2016, 12:13 PM
(16-12-2016 12:08 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  If death is final (and there is no reason for thinking otherwise) then you will simply be dead not disappointed.

I won't be disappointed when I am dead, but I will be disappointed while I am alive.
16-12-2016, 12:15 PM
(16-12-2016 12:13 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 12:08 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  If death is final (and there is no reason for thinking otherwise) then you will simply be dead not disappointed.

I won't be disappointed when I am dead, but I will be disappointed while I am alive.

How?

You mean that someday you will grow up form childish fantasies about eternal life and then disappointment will hit you?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
16-12-2016, 12:17 PM
(16-12-2016 12:15 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 12:13 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  I won't be disappointed when I am dead, but I will be disappointed while I am alive.

How?

You mean that someday you will grow up form childish fantasies about eternal life and then disappointment will hit you?

As of now, I am completely undecided when it comes to the existence of the afterlife. But if it were true that death is final and I were to be convinced of that, then I would be quite disappointed and angry at myself even though it is not my fault and is something I cannot control.
16-12-2016, 12:20 PM
(16-12-2016 12:17 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 12:15 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  How?

As of now, I am completely undecided when it comes to the existence of the afterlife. But if it were true that death is final and I were to be convinced of that, then I would be quite disappointed and angry at myself even though it is not my fault and is something I cannot control.

You're safe for disappointment then. If you already don't realize than so called afterlife isn't more than a myth then I doubt you will change your mind on this.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
16-12-2016, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2016 04:45 PM by whateverist.)
(16-12-2016 11:44 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 10:45 AM)whateverist Wrote:  I always wanted to swim in an ice-cream sunday and live in a gingerbread house. We don't always get what we want.

Your dreams are quite attainable. The only thing stopping you is you.

This might not be a Sunday but is close enough.
[Image: 042c99d6a32757242e99590b87dde5bc.jpg]

You can decorate your house to look like a gingerbread house. You can even dress up like a gingerbread man if you want.
[Image: 552c5116965ab24f353fa299c45a72be.jpg]

Oh I do believe, I do believe!

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
16-12-2016, 12:48 PM
(15-12-2016 02:23 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  The only life of value to me is a life where I can get what I want. Life must always work out in my favor. If I can't get what I want, then that is when I would give up, throw myself away, and allow the organisms to decay me. It does not matter how much my family would grieve for me or anything else. As long as I can't get what I want, then I would give up on life entirely and throw myself away.
Sounding like a spoilt brat here.
If you always get whatever you want then things have very little value. You have lots of stuff but not anything that you have earned. When you have heaps of stuff you just move from one thing to the next, as soon as things get a little difficult or tedius. It is an empty disposable existence.
Imagine this going on for an eternity.
You'll be so very bored. You'll think, Hmm, what should I do? Maybe I'll go to Venice, but then you might think, I've already done that like thousand times, Hmm,maybe Rome, Oh, I've done that a thousand times too, nothing more to discover, nothing to do, sooo very bored.
16-12-2016, 01:18 PM
(16-12-2016 12:48 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(15-12-2016 02:23 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  The only life of value to me is a life where I can get what I want. Life must always work out in my favor. If I can't get what I want, then that is when I would give up, throw myself away, and allow the organisms to decay me. It does not matter how much my family would grieve for me or anything else. As long as I can't get what I want, then I would give up on life entirely and throw myself away.
Sounding like a spoilt brat here.
If you always get whatever you want then things have very little value. You have lots of stuff but not anything that you have earned. When you have heaps of stuff you just move from one thing to the next, as soon as things get a little difficult or tedius. It is an empty disposable existence.
Imagine this going on for an eternity.
You'll be so very bored. You'll think, Hmm, what should I do? Maybe I'll go to Venice, but then you might think, I've already done that like thousand times, Hmm,maybe Rome, Oh, I've done that a thousand times too, nothing more to discover, nothing to do, sooo very bored.

Everyone is different and what you said does not hold true for me at all. If I got everything I wanted, then nothing would lose any value to me. It would be the greatest life for me.
16-12-2016, 01:55 PM
(16-12-2016 01:18 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Everyone is different and what you said does not hold true for me at all. If I got everything I wanted, then nothing would lose any value to me. It would be the greatest life for me.
It will not be possible for you to have everything you want. Not long after getting something, you will want something else.
You might want the prettiest girlfriend, next you will want the second prettiest girlfriend, then you will want the 10 most prettiest girl friends, then the top 100 pretty girlfriends, but then you will tire of this pretty thing and might move onto the most interesting girlfriend, then the top 100 interesting girlfriends but then you will want the funniest girlfriend, the top 100 funny girlfriends, but then you might want the most random girlfriend, eventually you will want something other than girlfriends, you will move on to the top computer game, the top 100 computer games. Eventually you will want something other than computer games.

Eventually you will move away from wanting material things, you will want love, and happiness, but you will even grow sick of that. Love and happiness mean nothing without the risk of losing love risk of being unhappy, eventually you will want some challenges, some risk, but over time you will even get sick of that.

Over the years you will have heard all the jokes, all the story lines, you will have played all the games, over an eternity you will be wanting death. Desperate for death.
16-12-2016, 02:04 PM
(16-12-2016 01:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 01:18 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Everyone is different and what you said does not hold true for me at all. If I got everything I wanted, then nothing would lose any value to me. It would be the greatest life for me.
It will not be possible for you to have everything you want. Not long after getting something, you will want something else.
You might want the prettiest girlfriend, next you will want the second prettiest girlfriend, then you will want the 10 most prettiest girl friends, then the top 100 pretty girlfriends, but then you will tire of this pretty thing and might move onto the most interesting girlfriend, then the top 100 interesting girlfriends but then you will want the funniest girlfriend, the top 100 funny girlfriends, but then you might want the most random girlfriend, eventually you will want something other than girlfriends, you will move on to the top computer game, the top 100 computer games. Eventually you will want something other than computer games.

Eventually you will move away from wanting material things, you will want love, and happiness, but you will even grow sick of that. Love and happiness mean nothing without the risk of losing love risk of being unhappy, eventually you will want some challenges, some risk, but over time you will even get sick of that.

Over the years you will have heard all the jokes, all the story lines, you will have played all the games, over an eternity you will be wanting death. Desperate for death.

Love and happiness is something that would never grow tired with me. I just simply think that what you've said does not apply to me. I honestly am truly convinced that an eternal blissful life where I can get everything I want will always be the greatest life and will never lose any value.