The first PRIVATE company to dock with international space station

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2012, 07:05 AM
The first PRIVATE company to dock with international space station
You'd damn well better watch it, it's happening NOW!
http://mashable.com/2012/05/25/dragon-docking-video/

History in the making folks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Logisch's post
25-05-2012, 07:37 AM
RE: The first PRIVATE company to dock with international space station
Fantastic. Thanks Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
25-05-2012, 08:39 AM
(25-05-2012 07:05 AM)Logisch Wrote:  You'd damn well better watch it, it's happening NOW!
http://mashable.com/2012/05/25/dragon-docking-video/

History in the making folks!
Thanks. Reality is where it's at.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-05-2012, 08:55 AM
What a treat to watch something historic like this. Not only that but live and in high definiton! What an age of technology we live in Smile I believe it was 6:56am pacific time when they called it a dock. Very cool.

The age of private companies in space.... has... now... arrived!

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
25-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Wait, didn't we already have private companies in space? Weren't they developing space shuttle rides?

Still pretty cool. I hear the big idea thus far is to create mining ships to harvest other planets. They'll make it happen to, as there is no greater human motivator than moolah. That would lead to planet colonization, and then alien wars mwah hahahah ha.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-05-2012, 09:35 AM
(25-05-2012 09:19 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Wait, didn't we already have private companies in space? Weren't they developing space shuttle rides?

Still pretty cool. I hear the big idea thus far is to create mining ships to harvest other planets. They'll make it happen to, as there is no greater human motivator than moolah. That would lead to planet colonization, and then alien wars mwah hahahah ha.
private shuttle rides, rockets, etc, yes. docking and having permission to dock at the iss? not till now.
25-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Fantastic!! Thumbsup

Only question now.. where the hell's my flying car? Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
25-05-2012, 11:56 PM
flying car? screw that they'e working on hover bikes!
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
27-05-2012, 05:13 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2012 04:14 AM by DeepThought.)
This is a positive step in the right direction. NASA helped get a private company on it's feet and now America has a launch system that practically does everything the shuttle did at a fraction of the price.

The shuttle cost ~1billion per launch - and if it failed at any time after the solid fuel boosters are ignited the whole crew would be killed.

The Falcon-9 - first stage has 9 engines with redundancy. One engine can fail and the mission continues.
Only the second stage which has a single engine optimised for non-atmospheric propulsion doesn't have redundancy (other than having 2 igniters) so it can be stopped and started multiple times. Even in the event of shit going wrong the mission payload can be recovered.

The launch cost of 100million (which will drop soon) vs the cost of the shuttle makes this a huge leap forward in cost and reliability.

I'm thinking if NASA doesn't use private industry for the Orion project it will never get into space. NASA just isn't serious about getting people into space and having things actually happen.

Will NASA blow 35 billion and have nothing to show for it but useless blueprints that are just shelved?
Given their track record as a money burning employment programme they probably will.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post