The first public atheist monument in the U.S.!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2013, 12:38 PM
RE: The first public atheist monument in the U.S.!
(29-06-2013 11:27 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Gezz, talk about generalizing...

The general thrust of "evangelical atheism" in America...

...there needs to be a balance zeroing religious stupidity.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-06-2013, 12:43 PM
There's part of me that says, "This is a good thing!" and part of me that says, "This could be a bad thing!"

I agree with Cantor, I think a healthy dose of being noticed and heard of makes the evangelical Christians realize they aren't being met with silence and certainly aren't "the only ones here" as they would love people to think. On the other hand, depending on how it is taken, could cause some negative attitude towards atheists. That, however, makes me go, "eh, people already can't stand us enough." and realistically, even bad publicity is good publicity.

In the past several years I've seen a lot of publicity on the freethought conventions, atheist meetups, and all kinds of things. It's definitely making more noise and getting heard more. SO I think that is definitely a GOOD thing. Definitely not something that happens overnight.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Logisch's post
29-06-2013, 01:42 PM

It already has been vandalized, and it doesn't look like that. It looks better than the OP's picture. I have a friend that was there and posted a picture of it on FB.
[+] 4 users Like Taz's post
29-06-2013, 02:05 PM
(29-06-2013 01:42 PM)Taz Wrote:  It already has been vandalized, and it doesn't look like that. It looks better than the OP's picture. I have a friend that was there and posted a picture of it on FB.

Oh that doesn't look so bad...it's a nice little bench. I knew that first photo was shopped!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-06-2013, 02:12 PM
An atheist monument? What in the heck for?

I'd prefer to see no atheist or religious monuments. How much did that monument cost? How many poor people instead didn't get fed - it seems ironic given what the monument says. It's just like the nice churches that are built instead of feeding the poor. No thanks. Dodgy

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
29-06-2013, 02:17 PM
I dunno. Erecting stones with writing on detailing what the fuck ever we currently care about is a proud old human tradition. And much more durable than hard-disks...
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
29-06-2013, 03:40 PM
(29-06-2013 01:42 PM)Taz Wrote:  It already has been vandalized, and it doesn't look like that. It looks better than the OP's picture. I have a friend that was there and posted a picture of it on FB.

I'm not seeing the vandalism in the picture?

But Christians? Vandalizing or destroying things they don't agree with? Nahhhhh never. They're totally peaceful and full of love! Right? Rolleyes

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
29-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Here's the article:
atheist monument

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
29-06-2013, 06:46 PM

That looks pretty good there! Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-06-2013, 06:55 PM
(29-06-2013 06:38 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Here's the article:
atheist monument

Quote:We plan to work with local groups to install a total of FIFTY monuments on government properties nationwide in places where religious monuments currently stand. An anonymous donor is making this possible.

Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man