The first public atheist monument in the U.S.!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2013, 01:01 PM
RE: The first public atheist monument in the U.S.!
Well, the monument is a start...

Waiting for the battle to start over a similar one being placed next to the 10 C one in Austin, TX

Later,
ElectEngr
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2013, 01:02 PM
(30-06-2013 11:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-06-2013 11:00 AM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  These are not just your garden variety "religious right" types.

http://dixienet.org/rights/2012/index.php

No, they're not. They are traitors.

"The League of the South is a Southern Nationalist organization whose ultimate goal is a free and independent Southern republic. "

They want to secede?

I hope they succeed this time so that the rest of the country can stop being hindered by these fucktards.

[Image: giphy.gif]
30-06-2013, 01:06 PM
(30-06-2013 12:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-06-2013 11:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, they're not. They are traitors.

"The League of the South is a Southern Nationalist organization whose ultimate goal is a free and independent Southern republic. "

I love how these traitors are the first ones to call someone UnAmerican.

As I drive from South Florida to southern Alabama you can physically see the change in culture and feel like you are stepping back in time.

It starts somewhere north of Orlando, not far from Bradford County where the monument has been erected. The billboards proclaim "PRAY", "HE KNEW YOU BEFORE YOU WERE BORN. PROTECT THE UNBORN", "SAY A PRAYER BEFORE A PRAYER IS SAID FOR YOU" etc.

Then, here and there, you see the confederate flag. Bumper stickers, license plates, and on one farm off of I-10 an actual battle flag waving in the breeze. The anchronism would be funny if it didn't have such sinister meaning. They claim heritage, I say bullshit, it's straight up racism.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
30-06-2013, 01:09 PM
(30-06-2013 01:06 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(30-06-2013 12:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I love how these traitors are the first ones to call someone UnAmerican.

As I drive from South Florida to southern Alabama you can physically see the change in culture and feel like you are stepping back in time.

It starts somewhere north of Orlando, not far from Bradford County where the monument has been erected. The billboards proclaim "PRAY", "HE KNEW YOU BEFORE YOU WERE BORN. PROTECT THE UNBORN", "SAY A PRAYER BEFORE A PRAYER IS SAID FOR YOU" etc.

Then, here and there, you see the confederate flag. Bumper stickers, license plates, and on one farm off of I-10 an actual battle flag waving in the breeze. The anchronism would be funny if it didn't have such sinister meaning. They claim heritage, I say bullshit, it's straight up racism.

It's really ironic when you go out to the backwaters of West Virginia and see them waving their confederate flags around.

Talk about not knowing your state's history...

30-06-2013, 01:14 PM
(30-06-2013 01:09 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(30-06-2013 01:06 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  As I drive from South Florida to southern Alabama you can physically see the change in culture and feel like you are stepping back in time.

It's really ironic when you go out to the backwaters of West Virginia and see them waving their confederate flags around.

You got me here, what about the State's history? Are you referring to the Harper's Ferry incident?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
30-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Atheists in America have 99 problems, but a bench ain't one.
[+] 5 users Like LadyJane's post
30-06-2013, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2013 02:22 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(30-06-2013 01:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(30-06-2013 01:09 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  It's really ironic when you go out to the backwaters of West Virginia and see them waving their confederate flags around.

You got me here, what about the State's history? Are you referring to the Harper's Ferry incident?

West Virginia was originally party of Virginia, the only reason it exists as a state was because the counties which constitute WV seceded from Virginia and joined the Union.

[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
30-06-2013, 01:21 PM
(30-06-2013 01:18 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Atheists in America have 99 problems, but a bench ain't one.

OMG I can't stop laughing, ugly snort laugh. That quote needs to go on tha bench. Hahaaaha! *snort*
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
30-06-2013, 02:15 PM
(29-06-2013 09:00 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  What about the Ingersoll statue in Peoria? Not clearly labelled "atheist" but ...

Ingersoll is an underutilized and underappreciated asset for the areligious community at large. Mark Twain once said of him, “Lord, what an organ is human speech when played by a master.” I've been an atheist over 3 decades now and I just learned of him recently. He's worth a read.

Fat old dude just makes sense. "To love justice, to long for the right, to love mercy, to pity the suffering, to assist the weak, to forget wrongs and remember benefits, to love the truth, to be sincere to utter honest words, to love liberty, to wage relentless war against slavery in all its forms, to love wife and child and friend, to make a happy home, to love the beautiful in art, in nature, to cultivate the mind, to be familiar with the mighty thoughts that genius has expressed, the noble deeds of all the world, to cultivate courage and cheerfulness, to make others happy, to fill life with the splendor of generous acts, the warmth of loving words, to discard error, to destroy prejudice, to receive new truths with gladness, to cultivate hope, to see the calm beyond the storm, the dawn beyond the night, to do the best that can be done and then to be resigned." - My Creed by Robert Green Ingersoll, 1895

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-06-2013, 02:33 PM
(30-06-2013 02:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-06-2013 09:00 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  What about the Ingersoll statue in Peoria? Not clearly labelled "atheist" but ...

Ingersoll is an underutilized and underappreciated asset for the areligious community at large. Mark Twain once said of him, “Lord, what an organ is human speech when played by a master.” I've been an atheist over 3 decades now and I just learned of him recently. He's worth a read.

Fat old dude just makes sense. "To love justice, to long for the right, to love mercy, to pity the suffering, to assist the weak, to forget wrongs and remember benefits, to love the truth, to be sincere to utter honest words, to love liberty, to wage relentless war against slavery in all its forms, to love wife and child and friend, to make a happy home, to love the beautiful in art, in nature, to cultivate the mind, to be familiar with the mighty thoughts that genius has expressed, the noble deeds of all the world, to cultivate courage and cheerfulness, to make others happy, to fill life with the splendor of generous acts, the warmth of loving words, to discard error, to destroy prejudice, to receive new truths with gladness, to cultivate hope, to see the calm beyond the storm, the dawn beyond the night, to do the best that can be done and then to be resigned." - My Creed by Robert Green Ingersoll, 1895

I love it. My life's ambition in a paragraph. No more is needed.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post