The first public atheist monument in the U.S.!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2013, 02:53 PM
RE: The first public atheist monument in the U.S.!
(29-06-2013 11:36 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(29-06-2013 11:27 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Gezz, talk about generalizing...

Yeah, and it doesn't help that thing is ugly as fuck.

Some 9 year old AIDS-ridden blind cancer patient without hands sculpted that, you fucking fuck.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2013, 03:17 PM
(30-06-2013 02:33 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(30-06-2013 02:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ingersoll is an underutilized and underappreciated asset for the areligious community at large. Mark Twain once said of him, “Lord, what an organ is human speech when played by a master.” I've been an atheist over 3 decades now and I just learned of him recently. He's worth a read.

Fat old dude just makes sense. "To love justice, to long for the right, to love mercy, to pity the suffering, to assist the weak, to forget wrongs and remember benefits, to love the truth, to be sincere to utter honest words, to love liberty, to wage relentless war against slavery in all its forms, to love wife and child and friend, to make a happy home, to love the beautiful in art, in nature, to cultivate the mind, to be familiar with the mighty thoughts that genius has expressed, the noble deeds of all the world, to cultivate courage and cheerfulness, to make others happy, to fill life with the splendor of generous acts, the warmth of loving words, to discard error, to destroy prejudice, to receive new truths with gladness, to cultivate hope, to see the calm beyond the storm, the dawn beyond the night, to do the best that can be done and then to be resigned." - My Creed by Robert Green Ingersoll, 1895

I love it. My life's ambition in a paragraph. No more is needed.

In a single sentence even. Terse and affable for the muthafucking win. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-06-2013, 03:22 PM
(30-06-2013 03:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-06-2013 02:33 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I love it. My life's ambition in a paragraph. No more is needed.

In a single sentence even. Terse and affable for the muthafucking win. Big Grin

Fuck a god, humanity for the win.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
30-06-2013, 04:33 PM
(30-06-2013 02:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-06-2013 09:00 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  What about the Ingersoll statue in Peoria? Not clearly labelled "atheist" but ...

Ingersoll is an underutilized and underappreciated asset for the areligious community at large. Mark Twain once said of him, “Lord, what an organ is human speech when played by a master.” I've been an atheist over 3 decades now and I just learned of him recently. He's worth a read.

Fat old dude just makes sense. "To love justice, to long for the right, to love mercy, to pity the suffering, to assist the weak, to forget wrongs and remember benefits, to love the truth, to be sincere to utter honest words, to love liberty, to wage relentless war against slavery in all its forms, to love wife and child and friend, to make a happy home, to love the beautiful in art, in nature, to cultivate the mind, to be familiar with the mighty thoughts that genius has expressed, the noble deeds of all the world, to cultivate courage and cheerfulness, to make others happy, to fill life with the splendor of generous acts, the warmth of loving words, to discard error, to destroy prejudice, to receive new truths with gladness, to cultivate hope, to see the calm beyond the storm, the dawn beyond the night, to do the best that can be done and then to be resigned." - My Creed by Robert Green Ingersoll, 1895

I couldn't agree more. Ingersoll is a hero for us all.

There's a recent biography that's worth a look too.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
01-07-2013, 05:31 AM
I like it, and with Silverman involved I suspect that they're really hoping it is vandalised as this will yield more publicity.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
01-07-2013, 06:01 AM
(30-06-2013 11:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-06-2013 11:00 AM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  These are not just your garden variety "religious right" types.

http://dixienet.org/rights/2012/index.php

No, they're not. They are traitors.

"The League of the South is a Southern Nationalist organization whose ultimate goal is a free and independent Southern republic. "

Traitors?
Sounds to be like they'd be doing America a huge favor by forming their own nation.
America looks bad because of them, it's held back on social issues because of them and shitty far right get more say then is healthy because of them...
Not to mention I saw some stats a while back that showed that the more religious a state was the more it took from the government and the less it gave.

I don't even see why there is such a huge deal for America being America as it is today.. When America original formed (fought off the British) it was tiny as shit, it only got to it's current size through buying states or colonizing them or stealing them from the Mexicans... w/e the fuck.

Just let the cunts fuck off and do their own thing.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
01-07-2013, 06:02 AM
(30-06-2013 02:53 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(29-06-2013 11:36 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Yeah, and it doesn't help that thing is ugly as fuck.

Some 9 year old AIDS-ridden blind cancer patient without hands sculpted that, you fucking fuck.

No wonder it's ugly as fuck...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
01-07-2013, 06:13 AM
I heard a xian preacher was standing on the monument and preaching...
That true?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
01-07-2013, 08:31 AM
[Image: 1017102_157637927756249_393111357_n.jpg]

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
01-07-2013, 09:20 AM
This article says that Eric Hovind stood on top of the monument and started preaching. It includes a picture.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user