The first public atheist monument in the U.S.!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2013, 12:10 PM
RE: The first public atheist monument in the U.S.!
Goddamn thing looks like a cross between a Chaise Lounge and a tombstone! Where's Maya Linn when you need her?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
01-07-2013, 01:02 PM
(01-07-2013 09:20 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  This article says that Eric Hovind stood on top of the monument and started preaching. It includes a picture.

And people wonder why some atheists are becoming more vocal.

Sadcryface

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

01-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Ugh. Just went to that site and... wow, some of the comments.
Do people really think that way? It just boggles my mind sometimes.

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
01-07-2013, 02:21 PM
(01-07-2013 01:11 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  Ugh. Just went to that site and... wow, some of the comments.

Ain't it the truth? I find it odd since they're the first to say they're being persecuted.

They don't know what that shit means.

My friend had an atheist bumper sticker on her car and it was key'd with a cross. But ya they are picked on.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
(01-07-2013 01:11 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  Ugh. Just went to that site and... wow, some of the comments.

Argh. I know. And now I'll never get back the five minutes I just wasted reading comments. This is why I don't read comments on shit like this, it just reinforces my belief that people are stupid idiots. And all the butthurt coming from the xians because it's not a christian monument.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
01-07-2013, 06:24 PM
I don't see the point in putting OT punishments on it. All it is going to do is piss Christians off. I can't speak for everyone, but being aggressive toward Christians will only harm Atheists. It confirms Christians beliefs that there is a "war on Christianity", and invites vandalism and further hostilities. Besides, why are these atheists targeting a religion at all? The way to 'win over' the public is to set a good example, and this does not do that. Besides that it is ugly.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
01-07-2013, 07:14 PM
[Image: 022_zps46e49dc7.jpg]

I wrote an email to Mr. Andrews about the event and he put it up to his Facebook page.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
02-07-2013, 02:00 PM
(01-07-2013 06:24 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't see the point in putting OT punishments on it. All it is going to do is piss Christians off. I can't speak for everyone, but being aggressive toward Christians will only harm Atheists. It confirms Christians beliefs that there is a "war on Christianity", and invites vandalism and further hostilities. Besides, why are these atheists targeting a religion at all? The way to 'win over' the public is to set a good example, and this does not do that. Besides that it is ugly.

Atheism is a reaction, as is that monument. Since it was erected in response to a Ten Commandments monument, it makes perfect sense that it would have some statements reminding people of what's supposed to happen if they violate these "sacred" laws. Ya'know, since most people can't even remember them, let alone abide by them.

If people get pissed, fuck them. No one is free from being offended, so that's their problem.

I don't know what's so ugly about it, either. At least is serves as more than just a big, polished rock with a bunch shit nobody actually cares about any more. It has statements that still have validity, it's made of high-quality granite, AND you can sit on it.

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel
02-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Re: The first public atheist monument in the U.S.!
Not a bad idea on my book but I so not like the monument.

It's just furthering my dislike of David Silverman and the AA org.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-07-2013, 09:10 PM
(02-07-2013 02:00 PM)eksyte Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 06:24 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't see the point in putting OT punishments on it. All it is going to do is piss Christians off. I can't speak for everyone, but being aggressive toward Christians will only harm Atheists. It confirms Christians beliefs that there is a "war on Christianity", and invites vandalism and further hostilities. Besides, why are these atheists targeting a religion at all? The way to 'win over' the public is to set a good example, and this does not do that. Besides that it is ugly.

Atheism is a reaction, as is that monument. Since it was erected in response to a Ten Commandments monument, it makes perfect sense that it would have some statements reminding people of what's supposed to happen if they violate these "sacred" laws. Ya'know, since most people can't even remember them, let alone abide by them.

If people get pissed, fuck them. No one is free from being offended, so that's their problem.

I don't know what's so ugly about it, either. At least is serves as more than just a big, polished rock with a bunch shit nobody actually cares about any more. It has statements that still have validity, it's made of high-quality granite, AND you can sit on it.

I wouldn't agree that Atheism is a reaction. The first humans probably Atheists, or at least non-religious. It's true that anyone in a free country can be offensive for its own sake, but it doesn't accomplish anything good, at least not in this case I don't think. I say take the high road, be an example that others admire, perhaps even may want to emulate.