The five most common regrets of the dying

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2012, 04:03 AM
The five most common regrets of the dying
Just saw an article about the most common regrets of people who are dying.

For plagiarism's sake, here they are:
  1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
  2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
  3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
  4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
  5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

Anybody else feel like they're setting themselves up for these regrets?

And if you say "I don't have regrets," I'll smack you. Tongue Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like rook2004's post
26-02-2012, 04:07 AM
RE: The five most common regrets of the dying
So smack me!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-02-2012, 04:35 AM
Hello,

New here and first response to thread. Being only 24, it sounds grim to think I already have regrets and I do for sure, but concerning these 5, I guess the best way to respond is one by one. In the order you gave posted them:

1. This is probably true for many of us on the forum (not all), mainly due to the fact that many of us were closet atheists, agnostics, what have you. And we can never get that time back. For me, at the moment it's true, but I look to change that sooner rather than later.

2. Depends on the day, but overall I put emphasis on working smarter not harder if possible.

3. Having courage is not the issue. For me it's more about getting emotional, period. I haven't shed a tear for any other reason than yawning since I was 11-12 when my close grandmother died. Many of my current/recent friends were convinced when they first met me, that I was probably a serial killer. Might explain why I like Dexter so much Big Grin.

4. Some friends yes, but I have come to realize it's near impossible to truly keep in touch with people, even with the ease of access to the internet and social media. So I just kind of move on and don't really dwell on it, drop a line on facebook every now and then.

5. I am pretty happy. Once all or most of certain family drama regarding my lack of beliefs goes away, there won't really be anything stopping my being happy. So no regret for me on this one.

Wow, more indepth than I expected... I need a stiff drink... just gotta wait until late April.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
26-02-2012, 09:43 AM
I regret having so many regrets.Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-02-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't know about the other ones, but I doubt I'll be suffering from number 2. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Ben's post
26-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Well, I'm going on 60 and if I hadn't gotten my shit together by now I'd be in trouble.

Smack me - I don't have any of these regrets.

I don't really have any regrets. My life has been a great adventure with good times and bad, and all of it made me what I am.

Atheism doesn't define me, and spending time in the atheism closet doesn't affect me. I don't really care. I quit caring about the whole thing as soon as I became atheist. It's when I was catholic that I had issues, and I quit that at age 10. In all other ways I have always been true to myself and rather unconventional, which made for a fun life. Caused my parents some worries, but made me happy.

I have worked extremely hard at times, but took it easy at others, and did so because I wanted to. Work isn't really work when you enjoy it and become absorbed in it. And I do like to rest on my laurels.

Expressing myself - not an issue here. If you'll read my posts for a while you'll get an earful.

Staying in touch with friends - I have known my closest friend since I was 3 years old. Others I have known since grade school. Not an issue.

Happiness - well, not so much lately since I just lost my husband and miss the heck out of him. But overall, I have a pretty sunny disposition and don't tend to dwell on the bad in life. There is always something interesting, fun or amusing right around the corner.

I don't think my husband had any of these regrets either. But, I think both of my parents had all of them. I think they may be somewhat generational.

I think they may change according to what society was like when you lived - and it has changed a ton in my lifetime.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
26-02-2012, 12:37 PM
1. I regret not having any regrets before I die.......wait.......this is a regret so that cancels out itself.......dammit.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
26-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Luckily at the moment I've gotten my answer as far as gender. My current regrets if I die will be not making it to canada and not sleeping with enough women. The other regret will probably be there no matter what. That I haven't helped enough people out of the position I lived as a child. I'm not sure you can ever feel you've done enough.

I've done plenty and I've always awaited death so regretting it has never been smething I've seen as likely. I more await it. Living is tiresome even if it's fun.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
26-02-2012, 10:10 PM
(26-02-2012 04:03 AM)rook2004 Wrote:  And if you say "I don't have regrets," I'll smack you. Tongue Big Grin

Smack this. I'm sure u kan graphically simulate.

Regret? I wuz just reading twilight; if I were a sparkly vampire, i'd go over to Gwynnie's house. Maybe my head wouldn't explode. And maybe me and sparkly Gwynnies...

Hmm... Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-02-2012, 12:01 AM
(26-02-2012 10:10 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Smack this. I'm sure u kan graphically simulate.

[Image: penguins.gif]
[+] 3 users Like rook2004's post