The foundational lie in the psyche

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2014, 10:41 PM
RE: The foundational lie in the psyche
(13-07-2014 10:19 PM)childeye Wrote:  Let's not be hypocritical. I do conflate God with Love, empathy. You conflate god with superstition. I worship what is worthy and good and beautiful in life and I know you do too.

So if god is everything, then he is is also what is bad, ugly, and unrelentingly horrible in this life that happens every day, not to you or I, but for thousands of others.......every day. This is your god's creation, and it ultimately sucks. It's bad design and there's nothing you can say to change that fact.

God fucked up and now he has egg on his face.

It's either that, or reality is reality and your fantasy doesn't really have anything to do with it. I'm also scared of the future and what it may hold for me, but given god's track record I'm more comfortable coming up with my own sense of what is right or wrong and what this life should mean.

Hypocritical is what the concept of an all loving god is when compared to reality.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2014, 10:43 PM
13-07-2014, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2014 11:11 PM by childeye.)
(13-07-2014 10:41 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So if god is everything, then he is is also what is bad, ugly, and unrelentingly horrible in this life that happens every day, not to you or I, but for thousands of others.......every day. This is your god's creation, and it ultimately sucks. It's bad design and there's nothing you can say to change that fact.
What is bad ugly and horror in this world is the product of vanity, the powers of darkness. What you see is the corruption of what was once good. What happens when evil is returned for evil? Darkness grows, even as it grows in your anger against it.

Why don't you ask yourself as I did long ago, how is it that the son of God could be crucified? Why was he beaten, ridiculed stripped naked and scourged, and yet he forgave? Why is it said that the Light came unto a people in darkness but they loved the darkness? What does the bible mean when it says, and because offenses will abound, the Love of many will grow cold? Are you aware that world war 1 was caused by one man shooting another man? And that world war 2 was a product of world war 1? Darkness wants you to hate God so it can become your god.

Quote:It's either that, or reality is reality and your fantasy doesn't really have anything to do with it. I'm also scared of the future and what it may hold for me, but given god's track record I'm more comfortable coming up with my own sense of what is right or wrong and what this life should mean.

Hypocritical is what the concept of an all loving god is when compared to reality.
Hypocrisy is doing unto others what you wouldn't want done to you. This op is about the lie that is vanity. Above all in this world, you should fear becoming what you hate.
14-07-2014, 12:08 AM
(13-07-2014 05:00 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(13-07-2014 03:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  CE, any word on why any of this drivel of yours matters?

Just that misunderstandings happen over semantics mainly.
You are trying to make *more* misunderstandings by playing stupid word games though Consider

Quote:
Quote:Are we supposed to suddenly see the light and become True Christians ™? If not, what's the point of sharing your insight and researches into the meaning of the word empathy and how it may be profitably be conflated with the word God?
I think when anyone actually finds out what Christ is about they will believe and kneel in all sincerity. It is logical to trust somebody who would die for you.
So now if God is empathy who the fuck is this Jesus guy? Empathy squared? And what's this business of little Empathy^2 dying for me? I don't see any evidence of that. Oh, are you gonna put that ridiculous little manuscript forward as "evidence". LOL.

Quote:
Quote:(or at least how it would be profitable if only pesky cjlr et al would stop pointing out all the fail you're perpetrating).
The more cjlr fights the need for love, the more apparent it becomes.
Facepalm Just... fuck off please. I hate this kind of stupidity the worst.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-07-2014, 06:24 AM
(13-07-2014 10:19 PM)childeye Wrote:  Let's not be hypocritical. I do conflate God with Love, empathy. You conflate god with superstition. I worship what is worthy and good and beautiful in life and I know you do too.

How can you conflate someone who "drives home frustration" and kills people so he can preach to them while they are dead with love and empathy?

From what you have told me so far your god is vain, vindictive, cruel and kind of crazy.

The very reason why I could never worship that god is because I DO have empathy.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-07-2014, 06:28 AM

That's cherrypicking of the highest order - as Hitch was fond of saying - if you accept it for one you must accept it for them all...i.e you must accept both positive and negative effects, actions and consequences

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
14-07-2014, 07:07 AM

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
14-07-2014, 09:35 AM
(12-07-2014 11:27 AM)childeye Wrote:  Many here claim to be former Christians even though some of you do not define God as Love/empathy.
Seriously? No True Scotsman again?
I was once a true Christian. I don't really care whether you accept that or you don't. It's true and I know it's true. Period. Keep your head in the sand if you must. Rolleyes

Regarding the rest of your post, it all hinges on a bunch of false dichotomies. For example:
(12-07-2014 11:27 AM)childeye Wrote:  There is a difference between saying I am wicked without God, and saying, I can freely choose to be wicked by denying God.
What about not being wicked at all without God or when denying God? Consider Or even being wicked while believing in God? Consider

Your post also hinges on a belief that God exists. There's no consideration of there not being a god. I think James Randi addressed this best when he said "No amount of belief makes something a fact."

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
14-07-2014, 09:45 AM
(12-07-2014 01:46 PM)childeye Wrote:  However if you mean to ask if I am imagining that God is empathy, the answer is yes.
(12-07-2014 02:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  Empathy is not imagined. Empathy is real. Therefore what I call God, is not imagined.
Priceless. Drinking Beverage

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
14-07-2014, 09:58 AM
(14-07-2014 09:45 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 01:46 PM)childeye Wrote:  However if you mean to ask if I am imagining that God is empathy, the answer is yes.
(12-07-2014 02:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  Empathy is not imagined. Empathy is real. Therefore what I call God, is not imagined.
Priceless. Drinking Beverage

That's what makes him so special.

His equivocation is so congenital he doesn't even realize it.

... this is my signature!