The foundational lie in the psyche

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2014, 12:36 PM
RE: The foundational lie in the psyche
(12-07-2014 12:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  Since you have never, ever said even one thing of substance here, I skipped straight to cjlr's response for the lulz.
That's it? Come on Chas. Put forth some effort. This is pretty simple stuff to get. Are you not at all interested in why people do what they do? Think what they think? Is human behavior of no interest to you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2014, 12:40 PM
(12-07-2014 12:29 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 11:58 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Since there is no such being as God in reality, it's all moot. Answer me this: How can I reliably distinguish between what someone claims is God and something that he or she might merely be imagining?
I am not talking about something imaginary, but that which is experienced by all people. Hence without empathy I become wicked.

Actually rats and many animals have been shown to have empathy. Are the non empathetic ones *wicked* rats ?

Inquiring minds want to know these things. Consider

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-07-2014, 01:24 PM
(12-07-2014 12:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Thank you. My sister teaches Logic to High School kids, and she's always on the lookout for "non-sequiturs". Great example. The kids thank you.

All I get out of this is your aversion to the term God.

Quote:Really ? Aren't we just all self-confident today ? Not just argue, but "argue in depth". I AM impressed. No really ? I am. (Not)
This is just cynicism.
Quote:No shit Sherlock. Brilliant. Simply brilliant. I see the "depth" he was speaking of. Weeping
I will take this as you saying this is self evident. This is not the depth I was referring to however.

(12-07-2014 11:27 AM)childeye Wrote:  Words like worship, repentance, mercy, responsibility, guilt, love, humility, all carry different meanings or nuances depending upon which side I am arguing.

Quote:Exactly. You can rearrange the toys in the Presupositionalists bag of tricks, and make it sound all intelligent, even while it's completely meaningless.

Oh brother, in case you missed it, the post is about empathy. There are no presuppositions in it. You don't experience humility, mercy, love? You're running away from dealing with what is.

Quote:Totally irrelevant. No one here claims to be wicked at all, so you wasted you time, as neither situation is applicable.
The post is not claiming anyone here is wicked. The post is simply saying that without empathy people are wicked. It's applicable to all people.

Quote:No spirits live in hearts. I've dissected a few, and found no evidence for any. The argument has already become circular.
Try to remember this is about emotions. I don't know what you mean by circular or to which argument you are referring to.
Quote:Moral Theology teaches that intention is the crux of a moral decision. All this crap is mental masterbation, and completely beside the point. As science has demonstrated, decision are made at the sub-conscious level, thus any notion of "free will" or "free to chose" is preposterous. One is not *free* if one is not FULLY aware of what's happening in one's brain. Humans are not
Finally something sensible is said, Hooray. So what is behind the intent has everything to do with the post. One is altruistic and one is not. Yes science is agreeing with this post in that there is a foundational lie in human reasoning that believes we choose freely in regards to moral decisions. Yes , thank you.

Quote:No one who HONESTLY thinks the gods are preposterous, is HONESTLY *free* to accept them. Even Jebus said "No one shall come to me unless the Father draw him", so even your Jebus disagrees with this bullshit.
I'm impressed. Yes, Jesus did not preach freewill but rather preached against it. On the same basis that I do and science does. Yet freewill is a commonly reasoned upon and claimed as truth in so called Christianity.

Quote:In short, is your god SO fucking stupid, she wouldn't know if people say "I believe" when they really don't ?
Actually, empathy is your God also. But here your alter ego has emerged since you know better than to ask that question. As you said yourself, when you were yourself, Jesus knew no one can come unless drawn by the Father. Therefore He knows who believes and who doesn't even though they say they do. Hence there is a true Scotsman.
12-07-2014, 01:30 PM
(12-07-2014 12:31 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 12:25 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Same here. I ended up glazing over trying to read the original post. It just looked like word salad.

I was trying to think of something witty to say like asking for it to be put in bullet point format but in the end I couldn't be arsed doing even that.

I still don't know what the OP actually said.

So it's not just me then. I couldn't make heads or tails of it either.
You don't understand this? Interesting. What is confusing about it? Can you elaborate?
12-07-2014, 01:31 PM
(12-07-2014 01:24 PM)childeye Wrote:  All I get out of this is your aversion to the term God.

Not taken our pills today, have we ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-07-2014, 01:35 PM
(12-07-2014 12:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 12:29 PM)childeye Wrote:  I am not talking about something imaginary, but that which is experienced by all people. Hence without empathy I become wicked.

Actually rats and many animals have been shown to have empathy. Are the non empathetic ones *wicked* rats ?

Inquiring minds want to know these things. Consider
That's a great question. It seems they would become indifferent, doesn't it?
12-07-2014, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 01:45 PM by true scotsman.)
(12-07-2014 01:30 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 12:31 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  So it's not just me then. I couldn't make heads or tails of it either.
You don't understand this? Interesting. What is confusing about it? Can you elaborate?

How does any of it have any objective basis?

I notice you didn't answer my question as theists are want to do since they have no answer for it. How can I reliably distinguish what you call God from something you may merely be imagining?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
12-07-2014, 01:37 PM
(12-07-2014 01:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 01:24 PM)childeye Wrote:  All I get out of this is your aversion to the term God.

Not taken our pills today, have we ?
I'm just gave an honest assessment, but maybe I'm wrong.
12-07-2014, 01:43 PM
(12-07-2014 01:37 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 01:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Not taken our pills today, have we ?
I'm just gave an honest assessment, but maybe I'm wrong.

The POINT was, your sentence was a non-sequitur, and you are unable to communicate in the English langage. Your post was FULL of Presuppositionalist crap, that no one here buys into AT ALL. The FIRST rule of debate is "Know your adversary".
No one here buys into any of the underlying assumptions for that crap, so why post it ?

12-07-2014, 01:46 PM
(12-07-2014 01:37 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 01:30 PM)childeye Wrote:  You don't understand this? Interesting. What is confusing about it? Can you elaborate?

How does any of it have any objective basis. I notice you didn't answer my question as theist are want to do since they have no answer for it. How can I reliably distinguish what you call God from something you may merely be imagining?
Try to remember that this is taken from a Christian forum. To answer your question, I am seeing God as empathy. If that is confusing for you, just replace the term God with empathy so that the question of whether it is imagined is not viable. However if you mean to ask if I am imagining that God is empathy, the answer is yes.