The foundational lie in the psyche

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2014, 08:37 PM
RE: The foundational lie in the psyche
(15-07-2014 08:28 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-07-2014 08:23 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So he was just stupid then?
Let us not project our corrupt minds on things we don't understand. Can you think of no good lesson to be derived from this incident? Do you suppose that those who wrote this and are followers of Jesus are trying to say Jesus is stupid?

Oh come on, childee. I was just funnin'. Tongue

But don't you think it's just a bit vindictive and petty to curse a tree for doing what it was originally designed by god himself to do? Can you think of no good parallel between the way jesus acts in this moment and the way that god is portrayed all over the place in the bible?

I'd say that the writers of the scriptures projected their own corrupt minds onto the superstitions that became the "good book", and god comes out looking pretty human if you ask me. We are created in his image, or he was created in ours? Angel

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2014, 08:38 PM
(15-07-2014 08:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  Sounds to me like Jesus was hoping for some figs and was disappointed.
(15-07-2014 07:26 PM)childeye Wrote:  The fig tree gave no fruit. It was already dead.
(15-07-2014 08:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  Jesus was hoping for some figs.
(15-07-2014 07:26 PM)childeye Wrote:  The fig tree ... was already dead.

(15-07-2014 08:00 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Either childeye is an idiot, or the Gospel writers are.

Well; or both.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
15-07-2014, 08:40 PM
(15-07-2014 08:38 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-07-2014 08:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  Sounds to me like Jesus was hoping for some figs and was disappointed.
(15-07-2014 07:26 PM)childeye Wrote:  The fig tree gave no fruit. It was already dead.

(15-07-2014 08:00 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Either childeye is an idiot, or the Gospel writers are.

Well; or both.
Yeah, yeah. I was premature with the fig tree was dead.
[+] 1 user Likes childeye's post
15-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Complete bullshit Childish. The reason the common Near Eastern story of the whithered fig is placed in the Gospel where it is, is because in context, it was used for literary emphasis :

32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Jebus was a Apocalyptic, (if he existed). Of course he was wrong about the end-times, but in the lore of the day, a withered fig was a symbol of the end. HE believed the end would happen in HIS generation. Of course he was totally wrong, but he lived in the period of Jewish Apocalypticism, so that's what one would expect him to think.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-07-2014, 08:47 PM
(15-07-2014 08:37 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(15-07-2014 08:28 PM)childeye Wrote:  Let us not project our corrupt minds on things we don't understand. Can you think of no good lesson to be derived from this incident? Do you suppose that those who wrote this and are followers of Jesus are trying to say Jesus is stupid?

Oh come on, childee. I was just funnin'. Tongue

But don't you think it's just a bit vindictive and petty to curse a tree for doing what it was originally designed by god himself to do? Can you think of no good parallel between the way jesus acts in this moment and the way that god is portrayed all over the place in the bible?

I'd say that the writers of the scriptures projected their own corrupt minds onto the superstitions that became the "good book", and god comes out looking pretty human if you ask me. We are created in his image, or he was created in ours? Angel
I agree Jesus was human. But I don't ever think anything bad about God just because it appears that way. I figure if God curses something, there is always something good to come out of it.
15-07-2014, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2014 08:55 PM by childeye.)
(15-07-2014 08:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Complete bullshit Childish. The reason the common Near Eastern story of the whithered fig is placed in the Gospel where it is, is because in context, it was used for literary emphasis :

32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Jebus was a Apocalyptic, (if he existed). Of course he was wrong about the end-times, but in the lore of the day, a withered fig was a symbol of the end. HE believed the end would happen in HIS generation. Of course he was totally wrong, but he lived in the period of Jewish Apocalypticism, so that's what one would expect him to think.
So the temple wasn't destroyed? You're talking about a different fig tree.
15-07-2014, 08:57 PM
(15-07-2014 08:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-07-2014 08:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Complete bullshit Childish. The reason the common Near Eastern story of the whithered fig is placed in the Gospel where it is, is because in context, it was used for literary emphasis :

So the temple wasn't destroyed?

The messianic period was supposed to be the RESTORATION of the KINGDOM. What did the apostles say to him just before he left in Acts ? : "Wilt thou O Lord at this time restore the kingdom to Israel ?".

Of course the temple was destroyed. The gospels were written after the fact and they purposely made it look like he was predicting an event that had already occurred. A common literary device for them.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-07-2014, 09:04 PM
(15-07-2014 08:47 PM)childeye Wrote:  I agree Jesus was human.
There have been many humans named Jesus, yes I also agree.

(15-07-2014 08:47 PM)childeye Wrote:  But I don't ever think anything bad about God just because it appears that way.

You should have a talk about god and his appearances then, he's not so keen on appearing good and loving all the time. You go ahead and make up what you want about an ultimate plan, the proof is in the puddin' and I don't see any.

(15-07-2014 08:47 PM)childeye Wrote:  I figure if God curses something, there is always something good to come out of it.

For who? The damned?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
15-07-2014, 09:05 PM
(15-07-2014 08:40 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yeah, yeah. I was premature with the fig tree was dead.

And you don't find it at all telling that your first response, when confronted with one of many absurdities in your scriptures, was not to look up the inadequate stock answers, nor even to check for yourself what it actually said, but to instead straight up make up a justification?

Okay then.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
15-07-2014, 09:12 PM
(15-07-2014 08:57 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-07-2014 08:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  So the temple wasn't destroyed?

The messianic period was supposed to be the RESTORATION of the KINGDOM. What did the apostles say to him just before he left in Acts ? : "Wilt thou O Lord at this time restore the kingdom to Israel ?".

Of course the temple was destroyed. The gospels were written after the fact and they purposely made it look like he was predicting an event that had already occurred. A common literary device for them.
Sounds interesting whatever you're getting at. We were talking about how Jesus cursed a tree and now you're talking about end times stuff. I suggest you consider what Israel you're talking about. The kingdom of God is made up of many nations and tongues. I don't know to which Israel you're referring.