The foundational lie in the psyche

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2014, 05:40 PM
RE: The foundational lie in the psyche
(12-07-2014 05:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 05:04 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  1. Empathy exists as a function of the brain
2. Without empathy animals are selfish
3. Selfishness is immoral only when judged to be so by other humans who themselves have empathy and have a created a moral code based on it. Selfishness is not necessarily destructive for the individual.
4. The statement "Empathy is God" does not lead on from any of the previous possible statements.
When I say treat others as you would want to be treated, does that ring true to you?
And you need God for that golden rule to occur to you?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
12-07-2014, 05:44 PM
(12-07-2014 04:18 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 04:15 PM)childeye Wrote:  1. Empathy exists
2. Without empathy men are selfish
3. selfishness is immoral and destructive
4. Empathy is God

Quote:Which is meaningless.

So what?
So it means Love is the highest value.

Quote:Empathy is a human impulse
True.
Quote:It answers nothing.

It answers how to treat our fellow man, our family and friends. How to esteem others through how we wish to be esteemed.

Quote:It explains nothing.
see above.
Quote: It requires nothing.

It requires self sacrifice.
Quote:We both know that your only goal here is massive equivocation on the term "God".
I realize that is what you think. I appreciate the candor. Actually, I hoped you could put away your aversion to the term God so as to discuss the op.
12-07-2014, 05:47 PM
(12-07-2014 05:40 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 05:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  When I say treat others as you would want to be treated, does that ring true to you?
And you need God for that golden rule to occur to you?
Yes and so do you.
12-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Childeye, it's time you started to worship me. I have tons more empathy than your current god. If it was up to me, no harm would come to any animal, and that includes people.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-07-2014, 05:50 PM
(12-07-2014 05:47 PM)Dom Wrote:  Childeye, it's time you started to worship me. I have tons more empathy than your current god. If it was up to me, no harm would come to any animal, and that includes people.
Funny. You don't understand the term worship. How about some discussion on the op?
12-07-2014, 05:52 PM
(12-07-2014 05:31 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 05:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  When I say treat others as you would want to be treated, does that ring true to you?

Define 'ring true'.
Do you agree with it?
12-07-2014, 05:53 PM
(12-07-2014 05:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 05:47 PM)Dom Wrote:  Childeye, it's time you started to worship me. I have tons more empathy than your current god. If it was up to me, no harm would come to any animal, and that includes people.
Funny. You don't understand the term worship. How about some discussion on the op?

Explain worship then.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-07-2014, 05:54 PM
(12-07-2014 05:47 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 05:40 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  And you need God for that golden rule to occur to you?
Yes and so do you.

No - I don't - it is innate - it is built-in - it is an evolved trait. There is no need in an atheist's world view for God to insert morality.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
12-07-2014, 05:55 PM
(12-07-2014 05:44 PM)childeye Wrote:  So it means Love is the highest value.

Define "value". Define "highest". Define "love".

(12-07-2014 05:44 PM)childeye Wrote:  It answers how to treat our fellow man, our family and friends. How to esteem others through how we wish to be esteemed.

It does no such thing. Empathising with someone who disagrees with me does not make me agree with them. Reciprocity is an entirely distinct concept. Neither is sufficient to understand group interaction alone. Are you even trying?

(12-07-2014 05:44 PM)childeye Wrote:  
Quote:It explains nothing.
see above.

Good to know you haven't changed.

If questioned, crap out vacuous non-answers. If questioned further, re-assert the same meaningless non-answers. Ad infinitem. Profit.

(12-07-2014 05:44 PM)childeye Wrote:  
Quote: It requires nothing.

It requires self sacrifice.

Experiencing empathy requires nothing, as it is a naturally occurring facet of human emotion. Are you even trying?

(12-07-2014 05:44 PM)childeye Wrote:  I realize that is what you think. I appreciate the candor. Actually, I hoped you could put away your aversion to the term God so as to discuss the op.

The OP is incoherent drivel.

... this is my signature!
12-07-2014, 05:56 PM
(12-07-2014 05:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 05:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  Funny. You don't understand the term worship. How about some discussion on the op?

Explain worship then.
True worship is drawn out by the object of worship.