Poll: Is there need for a "The freethinking life" section
Yes
No
*all your base are belongs to us* Smile
[Show Results]

The freethinking life - positive atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2011, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2011 10:28 AM by Observer.)
The freethinking life - positive atheism
When Reading the forum I see treads about

"how theist X disses atheists"
"how stupid Christian Y is"
"discussing holy-books"
"The pope is a silly old man"
"Making fun of religious statements/traditions"

Anyway...
Just looking briefly you might get the impression that the atheist life is rather empty and consists only out of being negative towards a theistic life.

Far from it!

My suggestion...
Would it be a good idea to have a forum section about how to fill in your life as a freethinking Atheist. In that section you can talk about:
What you are about to do at Christmas/a funeral/a birth-celebration.
Ways to classify books
Inspirational texts you write (I am thinking blog-links)
Suggestions on atheist celebration days. (pi-day, etc)
In general...
Things to fill in your life... Positive things that make a freethinking atheist's life worth living.

To prevent writers block we might move some existing treats into that section already. Threats that pop in my mind now are...
The "Santa" tread, The "zombie day" tread, the "raising a freethinking child" tread.

I feel there is need for a positive approach towards a freethinking atheist's life
What do you people think...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2011, 12:23 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2011 12:30 AM by Snuff.)
RE: The freethinking life
I would think this as Philosophy which is already there, maybe if they like your idea they could just create a sub forum titled Atheist Philosophy or something along that line. I honestly think it's fine but I do know if you change a site once it starts doing good it will sometimes destroy it. (Majority of the time)

I owned a site just a month or two ago and there was a misspelling in the forum title, I changed it and my site went from 10,000 guests a day to 3-5,000 a day. Finally I just deleted my account and left it to somebody else.

[Image: adamnalexa.png]
27-04-2011, 12:30 AM
(27-04-2011 12:23 AM)Snuff Wrote:  I owned a site just a month or two ago and there was a misspelling in the forum title, I changed it and my site went from 10,000 guests a day to 3-5,000 a day. Finally I just deleted my account and left it to somebody else.
Let me guess...
You changed your forum title from "How to have anal fun" to "how to have annual fun" Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
27-04-2011, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2011 12:40 AM by DeepThought.)
I think thats a good idea!
We have an 'Entertainment' thread but thats too general and forums in "The Rest" category don't get as much viewing.

What we could do is create a new forum under "The Heavy Stuff" called "Life"
It can contain threads about what you just mentioned and also about Atheist life in general. What do you think?

Now that I think about it the categories could be relabeled as well. So lets get some ideas posted and get more input from other members.

Lately what I've been thinking about is the number of posts the "Atheism and Theism" forum gets compared with the others. I was thinking since that is the main topic of this forum it should be subdivided. I don't have an ultimate plan on how to do that though. I did consider branching out on topics like Creationism.
Could give christianity its own forum. Then the smaller less discussed religions another category.
Morality/Philosophy kind of mix and it's hard to draw a clear line there.
It's tricky considering how some topics partly cover another - what kind of category system would be human friendly..
27-04-2011, 12:34 AM
No guest downloads was spelled geust downloads. This was a large "Warez" site with an extreme amount of traffic. Most users online at once was 9,784. =/ Unfortunately you can't go far owning an illegal forum.
27-04-2011, 12:48 AM
Quality over quantity lol. It's not all about the users online.
It's about the kind people on the site. One of the things I like about this forum is the quality of it's content and the people here. I don't want the forum to grow too quickly and have the content watered down with boring repetitive threads.

Right now people searching for a particular topic will see our threads in the search results. I wan't people who come here to find what they were looking for and not be disappointed.
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
27-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Exactly why I didn't mind leaving the forum without even second guessing my decision because it was simply quantity over quality although it was about 40/60 because of the hard work put into it by the Administration (Us). It just was so much work and I didn't enjoy having to spend all of my time uploading "Warez" through a server that was costing me over $250.00 a month not to mention it was based in the United States. That's a no no! lol.
27-04-2011, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2011 01:35 AM by DeepThought.)
(27-04-2011 12:23 AM)Snuff Wrote:  I owned a site just a month or two ago and there was a misspelling in the forum title, I changed it and my site went from 10,000 guests a day to 3-5,000 a day. Finally I just deleted my account and left it to somebody else.
I find the Alexa ranking quite amusing because it claims that 33% of site traffic comes from India and that popularity has reduced by 20%. Allot of those stats are approximated. Without access to the actual information there is no way to really know unless it's a top ranking site like Facebook. Even then they are guessing.

I have access to the actual statistics and they show something different. I implemented analytics later so I only have statistics after some of the changes were already made.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
27-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Awesome and yes Google Analytics is more precise then Alexa. The server speed seems great but unfortunately where I live at now does not live in the limit for DSL/Cable so we use Sprint Wireless and it's garbage so sometimes I can't tell if it's my internet or the server but have you guys looked into Litespeed for increased performance?
Code:
http://www.litespeedtech.com/
27-04-2011, 02:05 AM
No. moving sites is a nightmare. I'm not going through that again. Also the performance is fine. This server is serving pages in roughly half the time of the old server.

TTA is not for profit so spending less on webhosting leaves more for other things like more videos, podcasts and other stuff.