No
*all your base are belongs to us* Smile
[Show Results]

The freethinking life - positive atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2011, 02:24 AM
RE: The freethinking life
Litespeed isn't a server company but a software similar to Apache but much faster. It's Apache interchangeable. Most web administrators use it because of it's DDoS protection capabilities and on your server will speed it up 2x as fast. It costs but it can be free Wink if you know what I mean.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2011, 02:52 AM
(27-04-2011 02:24 AM)Snuff Wrote:  Litespeed isn't a server company but a software similar to Apache but much faster. It's Apache interchangeable. Most web administrators use it because of it's DDoS protection capabilities and on your server will speed it up 2x as fast. It costs but it can be free Wink if you know what I mean.
Most of the server time is spent in the php interpreter - current webserver uses a pool of worker threads and FPM to manage them. Then there are the delays in database queries even with caching enabled.. Apache just sits around most of the time waiting for the output.

What we do here is mostly dynamic. We don't serve much static content. Our static content usually is cached by the browser so its not so much of a big deal here.

You will not see a 2x performance increase from that software unless it's a special case. In most environments you will be hard pressed to beat apache by more than 10% and match it's feature set. I like .htaccess files - they are very convenient in a hosting environment.

Nginx is a free high performance http server and the only reason I would consider it is to save memory serving static files since each thread uses slightly less.

Litespeed doesn't make the php engine run faster. Only a faster dedicated server with 4x8 core Xeon Processors + 128GB Ram + a nice Raid 10 array. If you want to pay for that hosting out of your pocket i'd be happy to move the site there Smile

And before you ask - yes php is using opcode caching. There isn't much that can be done now to improve performance short of software and config changes on the web application level.
27-04-2011, 03:24 AM
Hmmm maybe you guys can add a donate button to the far right of the site navigation Wink Unfortunately I do not have the money to help pay for the server but maybe if I get the job I'm applying for this week I could help with the sever costs.
27-04-2011, 05:58 AM
(27-04-2011 12:31 AM)GodVirusDeleted Wrote:  What we could do is create a new forum under "The Heavy Stuff" called "Life"
It can contain threads about what you just mentioned and also about Atheist life in general. What do you think?
Hmmm... I personally never thought of life as being heavy stuff Smile

Perhaps this tread can generate some input...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
30-04-2011, 10:27 AM
this one needs more user input so i am "bump"-ing it...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
30-04-2011, 01:05 PM

RE: The freethinking life - positive atheism
Another forum for positive atheist feedback etc...? Why not.
There's a famous quote that goes something along the lines of, none talk about god so much as those who don't believe he exists.
I've had people ask if I don't believe in god what then is there to talk about? The determination of it's followers to lead the my world to their way of thinking!
Is usually my answer. Right after, good point! Wink

So I think a new forum wherein we empower each other with chat strictly about atheism with no sidelines or distractions along the lines of null and void fictions would be a good thing. Smile (re-bump) Tongue
BTW, just finished watching Black Swan. Wow! Natalie Portman deserved every accolade she got and then some. (Totally OT I know, but I just had to say it.)
Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2011, 03:08 PM
RE: The freethinking life - positive atheism
Great suggestion. Forum added. (I put it under "The Heavy Stuff" for now, but we can always move it if there's reason)

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How do you upload real life pictures that you have taken yourself on a phone/tablet Metazoa Zeke 5 97 05-04-2014 06:51 AM
Last Post: Colourcraze
  New "Real Life Debates with Theists" subsection started Buddy Christ 4 188 06-08-2012 02:51 AM
Last Post: Filox
  Sub-section of the Atheism/Theism forum Vosur 6 233 31-07-2012 11:46 AM
Last Post: Vosur
  Over-generalised? - Atheism/Theism DeepThought 0 168 01-05-2011 01:19 AM
Last Post: DeepThought