The future...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 05:05 AM
The future...
Here you got a bunch of motherfuckers always going on about "show me the fucking evidence," and dismissing faith as merely "belief without evidence;" while the evidence clearly indicates faith is moral certainty, and any statement of future is a statement of faith.

Our moral certainty is that science tells a story that is a far better predictive model than theology, that scientists provide a more functional ideology than theologians.

I would caution that dismissing the concepts that divide us is merely a recipe for division where redefining said concepts can remind us that we are one.

Besides, there's no more pervasive and annoying god than future; and insisting that it doesn't exist is the path leading to the place where it won't.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-04-2017, 05:41 AM
RE: The future...
Are you sure about that?

If you defined faith as 'morale' certainty, I might be in agreement.

Wikipedia Wrote:Morale (also known as esprit de corps (French pronunciation: ​[ɛspʀi də kɔʀ])) is the capacity of a group's members to maintain belief in an institution or goal, particularly in the face of opposition or hardship.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
12-04-2017, 05:43 AM
(12-04-2017 05:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Are you sure about that?

I'm sure that I love my Gwynnies, 'cause I'm defined by that absolute. The rest I'll take on faith.

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-04-2017, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 05:58 AM by Vera.)
The future, Johnny, is coming on.

The future is coming on
I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine in a bag
I'm useless but not for long
The future is coming on
It's coming on
It's coming on
It's coming on

(Sorry, should be working but am feeling restless and unsure and torn and don't wanna Blush )

But seriously, what's the difference between dismissing them and redefining them? And what exactly does divide us? There are infinitely more things that unite us and yet, we seem hellbent on focusing on the minuscule amount of things that are different Undecided

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
12-04-2017, 06:00 AM
(12-04-2017 05:05 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Here you got a bunch of motherfuckers always going on about "show me the fucking evidence," and dismissing faith as merely "belief without evidence;" while the evidence clearly indicates faith is moral certainty, and any statement of future is a statement of faith.

That's what the evidence shows if we look at many people of faith. They confuse moral certainty with faith.

Oh and, "The future is inevitable and precise, but it may not occur. God lurks in the gaps." -- Borges

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 06:02 AM
(12-04-2017 05:55 AM)Vera Wrote:  And what exactly does divide us?
Definitions, silly.

(12-04-2017 05:55 AM)Vera Wrote:  There are infinitely more things that unite us and yet, we seem hellbent on focusing on the minuscule amount of things that are different Undecided

'Cause it is way more fun. It's all fun and games until a motherfucker gets burnt at the stake. Evil_monster

living word
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-04-2017, 06:03 AM
(12-04-2017 05:43 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

I'm sure that I love my Gwynnies, 'cause I'm defined by that absolute. The rest I'll take on faith.

Gotta have a reference point. Can't get nowhere without a reference point.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 06:04 AM
(12-04-2017 06:00 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's what the evidence shows if we look at many people of faith. They confuse moral certainty with faith.

Well, it is. "Belief without evidence" doesn't strap a motherfucker up with a vest of C-4.

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-04-2017, 06:44 AM
(12-04-2017 05:05 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I would caution that dismissing the concepts that divide us is merely a recipe for division where redefining said concepts can remind us that we are one.

Except we aren't one at all. I don't want to unite or cooperate with religious people who are prejudiced against fact-based claims about the world, and they don't want to unite or cooperate with us either.

Sorry, but the real world dictates that some ideas are mutually exclusive, and that among such ideas, some are supported by the evidence and others aren't.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
12-04-2017, 06:58 AM
(12-04-2017 06:04 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 06:00 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's what the evidence shows if we look at many people of faith. They confuse moral certainty with faith.

Well, it is. "Belief without evidence" doesn't strap a motherfucker up with a vest of C-4.
It doesn't? Seems like to be a suicide bomber you must believe without evidence that (1) god exists, (2) wants you to kill infidels and (3) has a special surprise waiting for you on the (4) Other Side.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post