Poll: Should we colonize space?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The future of mankind is in the stars.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2014, 12:12 AM
The future of mankind is in the stars.
I am a strong supporter of space exploration. I believe that it is mankind's duty to colonize the cosmos, spreading the gift of reason to other worlds. In spite of some people claiming that we need to solve this world's problems first before exploring, I believe that space exploration and colonization are the awnser to many of these problems.

Who's with me?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bible Belt Brawler's post
23-03-2014, 12:24 AM
RE: The future of mankind is in the stars.
This is one of those subjects that doesn't have an easy black-and-white answer.

I voted yes, but I don't think we should bite off more than we can chew. (Like when we get terraforming reasonably mastered, we can't let the human population explode to ridiculous proportions or anything.) I think in the future space exploration will replace war's traditional role in our technological advancements--it will be the new reason why we keep coming up with "accidental" solutions to problems.

I'm truthfully not sure what effect it will have on our energy usage. I can't decide if we will mine methane and other fuels from elsewhere, or if we'll just get super awesome at solar and other alternatives. I think the energy crisis is really the big one, but I just don't know exactly how it will pan out.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 2 users Like Cephalotus's post
23-03-2014, 12:33 AM
You have Antarctica to go spread your "gift of reason". You'll find more life there than in the entire galaxy.

Too many people look to space exploration as a means to escape the problems here on earth. "Well, if we could just run away... everything will be solved..." Or "We can escape our responsibilities and postpone the inevitable resolutions and revolutions with ourselves for just a bit longer."

Stay on earth, look inwards, learn to live within our means. And when we're content and want to explore out of boredom, THEN you do it.

I voted NO. Again, to many people justify exploration to escape the problems we have now. It's not escape, it's just postponing, and spreading it.

edit: use it as a means to develop technologically, but not to "spread".
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
23-03-2014, 03:46 AM
(23-03-2014 12:33 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Too many people look to space exploration as a means to escape the problems here on earth. "Well, if we could just run away... everything will be solved..." Or "We can escape our responsibilities and postpone the inevitable resolutions and revolutions with ourselves for just a bit longer."
Stay on earth, look inwards, learn to live within our means. And when we're content and want to explore out of boredom, THEN you do it ...
By that "discipline" early humans would never have left Africa. No humans anywhere would have emigrated. No American colonists would have left England. No explorers would have built ships and annihilated man's horizons.
All that relocation and dislocation of culture spilled a lot of blood and inflicted incalculable misery and still does - but would we really be better off a crammed and cramped population still trying to make the best of the African velds because we hadn't yet perfected life there?
No, let's NOT hang around waiting to achieve Nirvana here. Nirvana's unattainable anyway. Anyone arriving at Nirvana will look around and realize they aren't there, that Nirvana is just as distant as it was before, unreachable as a rainbow. But bloody and messy and expansion is, it gets us closer to Nirvana than standing still.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
23-03-2014, 05:54 AM
We live in the worst possible time for exploration, for me anyway. I was born in 1997, too late that the entire world has been explored and mapped out, and too early that space exploration is getting nowhere. My one reason to live long is to see a manned mission to mars

As to the future of mankind, it is an absolute certainty we have to branch out. However, even if we somehow stay together for millions of years, something is going to get us in the end. So we are really only delaying the inevitable. But why not enjoy the time we have eh? Smile
[+] 3 users Like Magoo's post
24-03-2014, 08:21 AM
(23-03-2014 05:54 AM)Magoo Wrote:  We live in the worst possible time for exploration, for me anyway. I was born in 1997, too late that the entire world has been explored and mapped out, and too early that space exploration is getting nowhere. My one reason to live long is to see a manned mission to mars

As to the future of mankind, it is an absolute certainty we have to branch out. However, even if we somehow stay together for millions of years, something is going to get us in the end. So we are really only delaying the inevitable. But why not enjoy the time we have eh? Smile

Have you heard of Mars One?
24-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Yes... Because, why the hell not?

Its better than bombing the shit out of each other.

I've never heard anyone use space exploration as means to avoid the problems we face here on earth. There's nothing out there for many thousands of light years at least, that could be called anything like hospitable.

Space exploration has an effect on civilization... Images and discoveries from space change people's perception of existence and our place in the universe.

An image that affected me was of the Moon... It was just the cold, desolate, scarred surface seeming to loom out of infinite, empty blackness.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
24-03-2014, 09:01 AM
(23-03-2014 12:12 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  I am a strong supporter of space exploration. I believe that it is mankind's duty to colonize the cosmos, spreading the gift of reason to other worlds. In spite of some people claiming that we need to solve this world's problems first before exploring, I believe that space exploration and colonization are the awnser to many of these problems.

Who's with me?

I would be absolutely euphoric if, during my life time, it was announced that we had an effective FTL-ish system for space exploration and that voyages were already jumping away to far off planets. Suffice to say, I love and favour the idea of space exploration and colonisation but I doubt in the extreme that I'd live to see the day.

But I don't think we have a 'duty' to colonise the cosmos;it'll just be a natural progression for use if we ever see the day; humans are naturally expansionist as a species, only makes sense that we'd seek to colonise other words as soon as we had the ability to.

And I don't think space exploration will solve many problems on Earth; the problems will still be here. Of course if we could develop something like 'Planet Cracking', that could potentially put a major dent in the resources issues (fossil fuels exempted of course), but we'd still have all of our other shit to deal with, assuming we haven't already by that time.

(23-03-2014 12:24 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  This is one of those subjects that doesn't have an easy black-and-white answer.

I voted yes, but I don't think we should bite off more than we can chew. (Like when we get terraforming reasonably mastered, we can't let the human population explode to ridiculous proportions or anything.) I think in the future space exploration will replace war's traditional role in our technological advancements--it will be the new reason why we keep coming up with "accidental" solutions to problems.

I disagree, Cephal.

You can bet your life savings that the second humanity gets truly functional star-ships, they will immediately become the newest tools for war. space exploration wont replace war in pushing technological advancement; it will become part of it and continue the cycle oh better tech, to better war, to better tech.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
24-03-2014, 10:37 AM
(23-03-2014 12:33 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Too many people look to space exploration as a means to escape the problems here on earth. "Well, if we could just run away... everything will be solved..." Or "We can escape our responsibilities and postpone the inevitable resolutions and revolutions with ourselves for just a bit longer."

Stay on earth, look inwards, learn to live within our means. And when we're content and want to explore out of boredom, THEN you do it.

I voted NO. Again, to many people justify exploration to escape the problems we have now. It's not escape, it's just postponing, and spreading it.

edit: use it as a means to develop technologically, but not to "spread".

My one problem with the whole "Time is much better spent fixing the world/Learning about what's here" kind of thinking is that,

A) The resources for which we depend on to do such things are FINITE upon this small, blue ball.

B) Spending time/effort on one thing DOES NOT preclude spending time and effort on another. One just has to manage said endeavors well.

C) Well.... not going out into space is definitely an easy option. It misses the point that, statistically, a large, very fast and very deadly piece of space WILL come here at some random point in our future. Keeping ALL our eggs in one basket is asking for the human species to "Go dinosaur".

So...how does sitting back and discovering inner truths actually help in any of the above?

Much cheers to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
25-03-2014, 10:52 AM
(24-03-2014 08:21 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  
(23-03-2014 05:54 AM)Magoo Wrote:  We live in the worst possible time for exploration, for me anyway. I was born in 1997, too late that the entire world has been explored and mapped out, and too early that space exploration is getting nowhere. My one reason to live long is to see a manned mission to mars

Have you heard of Mars One?

I looked it up, but it looks like a load of rubbish to me. If NASA aren't going to Mars, then what makes anyone else think they can?