Poll: Should we colonize space?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The future of mankind is in the stars.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2014, 10:58 AM
RE: The future of mankind is in the stars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies

Quote:Light-emitting diodes (LEDs) in medical therapies[edit]
After initial experiments using light-emitting diodes in NASA space shuttle plant growth experiments, NASA issued a small business innovation grant that led to the development of a hand-held, high-intensity, LED unit developed by Quantum Devices Inc. that can be used to treat tumors after other treatment options are exhausted.[4]:10–11 This therapy was approved by the FDA and inducted into the Space Foundation's Space Technology Hall of Fame in 2000.
Infrared ear thermometers[edit]
Diatek Corporation and NASA developed an aural thermometer that measures the Thermal Radiation emitted by the eardrum, similar to the way the temperature of stars and planets is measured. This method avoids contact with mucous membranes, and permits rapid temperature measurement of newborn or incapacitated patients. NASA supported the Diatek Corporation through the Technology Affiliates Program.[5]
Ventricular assist device[edit]
Collaboration between NASA, Dr. Michael DeBakey, Dr. George Noon, and MicroMed Technology Inc. resulted in a heart pump for patients awaiting heart transplants. The MicroMed DeBakey ventricular assist device (VAD) functions as a “bridge to heart transplant” by pumping blood until a donor heart is available. The pump is approximately one-tenth the size of other currently marketed pulsatile VADs. Because of the pump’s small size, fewer patients developed device-related infections. It can operate up to 8 hours on batteries, giving patients the mobility to do normal, everyday activities.[6]
Artificial limbs[edit]
Advancements such as Environmental Robots Inc.’s development of artificial muscle systems[7] for use in NASA space robotic and extravehicular activities have been adapted to create more functionally dynamic artificial limbs. Other commercial uses of NASA’s temper foam include moldable materials offering the natural look and feel of flesh, as well as preventing friction between the skin and the prosthesis, and heat/moisture buildup.[4]:46–49
Invisible braces[edit]
Invisible braces are a type of transparent ceramics called translucent polycrystalline alumina (TPA). A company known as Ceradyne developed TPA in conjunction with NASA Advanced Ceramics Research as protection for infrared antennae on heat-seeking missile trackers. [8]
Scratch-resistant lenses[edit]
A sunglasses manufacturer called Foster Grant first licensed a NASA technology for scratch-resistant lenses, developed for protecting space equipment from scratching in space, especially helmet visors.[8]
Space blanket[edit]
So-called space blankets, developed in 1964, are lightweight and reflect infrared radiation. They are often included in first aid kits.

The list goes on an on and all for less than the price of a single day in the Iraq war. Anyone who bitches about the cost of space exploration is uneducated or pushing an agenda or both.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Revenant77x's post
25-03-2014, 10:59 AM
not sure about the 'duty to colonize the cosmos' part but I love a good ROAD TRIP!

er....well, SPACE TRIP!

“Happiness is not the absence of problems; it's the ability to deal with them.”
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
25-03-2014, 02:23 PM
(25-03-2014 10:52 AM)Magoo Wrote:  
(24-03-2014 08:21 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  Have you heard of Mars One?

I looked it up, but it looks like a load of rubbish to me. If NASA aren't going to Mars, then what makes anyone else think they can?

Private companies could have an advantage, seeing as they lack the political issues of a government agency.
[+] 1 user Likes Bible Belt Brawler's post
25-03-2014, 03:07 PM
(25-03-2014 02:23 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 10:52 AM)Magoo Wrote:  I looked it up, but it looks like a load of rubbish to me. If NASA aren't going to Mars, then what makes anyone else think they can?

Private companies could have an advantage, seeing as they lack the political issues of a government agency.

They can also don't have to rely on set amounts of (under-) funding from the government. If the companies are big enough they could effectively have an unlimited budget.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
25-03-2014, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2014 03:18 PM by rampant.a.i..)
It's not simply in terms of colonization. Space exploration requires pushing the limits of modern technology, and some of the commonplace technologies we have today are derived directly from the space program.

If you used a GPS or are browsing the forum on your mobile phone or home computer, (many mobile networks now use satellites) you're using advancements made possible by funding space exploration.

http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/...important/

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
26-03-2014, 08:14 AM
(25-03-2014 03:07 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 02:23 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  Private companies could have an advantage, seeing as they lack the political issues of a government agency.

They can also don't have to rely on set amounts of (under-) funding from the government. If the companies are big enough they could effectively have an unlimited budget.

NASA estimated the cost of the mission to be $100 million. Good luck funding that.

Edit: I mean billion.
26-03-2014, 11:22 AM
(23-03-2014 12:12 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  I believe that it is mankind's duty to colonize the cosmos, spreading the gift of reason to other worlds.

Sounds like Manifest Destiny: Space Edition.

Assuming we do find other sapient lifeforms, who's to say they wouldn't already possess logical capacities? We definitely would trade and gain invaluable insights from each others' culture and knowledge data bases, but "spread our gift of reason" sounds elitist and patronizing. Tongue

Also, I think it should be pointed out that "reason" was pretty much never the first "gift" that colonizers spread. Drinking Beverage

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
26-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Maybe eventually humanity will connect all planets in our solar system in one solid structure, and make it like a clock and also maintain the sun's size. so it never ever gets destroyed.
[Image: Orrery-vintage-solar-system-model.jpg]

Insulting me will convert me real fast!
MSBB:
Don't let anyone define who you are.
Me:
Can we define him as he defines himself? Or will he define himself as we define how he defines himself? But, if we do that, will we define him as he defines himself based on our definition of how we see him define himself?
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
27-03-2014, 12:30 PM
(26-03-2014 11:22 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(23-03-2014 12:12 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  I believe that it is mankind's duty to colonize the cosmos, spreading the gift of reason to other worlds.

Sounds like Manifest Destiny: Space Edition.

Assuming we do find other sapient lifeforms, who's to say they wouldn't already possess logical capacities? We definitely would trade and gain invaluable insights from each others' culture and knowledge data bases, but "spread our gift of reason" sounds elitist and patronizing. Tongue

Also, I think it should be pointed out that "reason" was pretty much never the first "gift" that colonizers spread. Drinking Beverage

That is a valid point and I will amend my original point in light of it:

We should spread out and colonize worlds without sapient life, while treating living, sapient worlds respectfully.
[+] 1 user Likes Bible Belt Brawler's post
27-03-2014, 12:32 PM
(26-03-2014 12:39 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Maybe eventually humanity will connect all planets in our solar system in one solid structure, and make it like a clock and also maintain the sun's size. so it never ever gets destroyed.
[Image: Orrery-vintage-solar-system-model.jpg]

Interesting concept, but how would that save our solar system from doom?