Poll: Should we colonize space?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The future of mankind is in the stars.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 01:12 PM
RE: The future of mankind is in the stars.
I think the cockroaches will kill us before then, or some other invertebrate.

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] Capoeira status:NO CORD
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2014, 02:29 PM
I predict the great Rat Uprising will happen before we ever complete a ship capable of folding space.

If how ever we do manage to do it, I sincerely hope we do find other sapient life, just so religious fundies can all implode out of shear indignation.

Here's the thing, were any of this true, Christian apologetics would not exist. One does not have to bend in multiple ways to defend electricity or aerodynamics. - Banjo

god's love is unconditional on the condition you do every thing he says. - Betty Bowers
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Blackhand293's post
27-03-2014, 03:33 PM
(27-03-2014 02:29 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  I predict the great Rat Uprising will happen before we ever complete a ship capable of folding space.

If how ever we do manage to do it, I sincerely hope we do find other sapient life, just so religious fundies can all implode out of shear indignation.

I hope so, too...
27-03-2014, 03:46 PM
(27-03-2014 02:29 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  I predict the great Rat Uprising will happen before we ever complete a ship capable of folding space.

Religion will be dead by then. Drinking Beverage

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] Capoeira status:NO CORD
27-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Your faith in humanity is greater than mine.

Religion is the cockrouch of ideas, would take a lot to kill it.

Here's the thing, were any of this true, Christian apologetics would not exist. One does not have to bend in multiple ways to defend electricity or aerodynamics. - Banjo

god's love is unconditional on the condition you do every thing he says. - Betty Bowers
27-03-2014, 10:57 PM
It's highly probable that ANY form of life we encounter will have a lot more to tell US, than we them. They're gonna look at humans like "WTAF, you believe WHAT ?"
They'll laugh their way all the way back to Centaurus A.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-03-2014, 10:59 PM
(23-03-2014 12:12 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  I am a strong supporter of space exploration. I believe that it is mankind's duty to colonize the cosmos, spreading the gift of reason to other worlds. In spite of some people claiming that we need to solve this world's problems first before exploring, I believe that space exploration and colonization are the awnser to many of these problems.

Who's with me?

From stardust we came and to the stars we shall return!
27-03-2014, 11:03 PM
(25-03-2014 10:59 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  not sure about the 'duty to colonize the cosmos' part but I love a good ROAD TRIP!

er....well, SPACE TRIP!

Have you read the book "Packing for Mars"? Shocking Its an eye opener.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
28-03-2014, 12:46 AM
If there was ever a reason for the hope of immortality, for me it would simply be to see what the fuck we come up with next. How far we get. How many worlds can we infest before the universe shuts us down?

I honestly think we'll get off this rock, this small blue ball, before it's too late. That's if we haven't caused our own extinction before doing so. I have absolutely no clue how far we'll make it from there.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
28-03-2014, 03:57 AM
The problem with space exploration is the cost in getting out of the Earth's gravity well on a regular basis.

If the field of Artificial Intelligence and robotics ever advances enough, all we need is to send some robots out into the solar system once to mine asteroids and to send refined materials back again. If we can get them building their own robots then so much the better.

The cost of mining resources on Earth is increasing, supply is decreasing and demand is increasing. Recycled rare-earth minerals aren't as good as the stuff taken straight out of the ground due to the accumulated impurities. Some of it gets wasted never to be retrieved, like silver for example. It is used in a lot of industrial processes in such small amounts that it is forever lost. Having the materials sent to us would save a lot of energy.

Once we have robots colonising the solar system we can use them to prepare the route for humans. Shielding against radiation is not a problem for example if you never needed to lift the materials out of the Earth's gravity well.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post