The gist of it.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2011, 06:58 AM

The gist of it.
I think I like it here. That's the gist of it, but I guess I am curious about things, and want to try starting something. So let's try something I do not see much these days, a real insight into your perspective. Whats the gist, in general, of your atheism? Why are you on TTA? What do you think needs to be talked about most? Is there an agenda? But boil it down to the gist of your focus while you are here.

I am a callous atheist. I am just not interested in the fools lighted path of enlightenment. Now honestly, if things between friends start to go weird, I will always warn them three times, a full three times.

"You my friend, would be best at ease to put your witnessing and proselytizing to the side, and allow me to be my atheist self. I absolutely will make you hate me, because I know what happens when I truly speak my mind."

Or some such nonsense, I try to be polite and respectful when I do this. It never ends well if they insist on continuing. I am not violent, but I can be snarky, spiteful, and arrogant if the need arises.
Jung liked to refer to archetypes, and the tarot especially, and I can quite understand that we all have a bit of this, a bit of that that makes us who we are. For example, I have a great deal of the fool and the devil in me, when it comes to partners. I do find people to satiate me, but then they become my ruin for I tend to ignore the cliff’s edge upon which the devil’s feet are trodden. (I speak extremely fluent tarot, and find, even these ten years after dropping the art of tarot from things I do, my experiences and my insights I learned?...very handy.)

So learning can be interesting, and deciding to be an atheist at times like these, when someone is pressuring you with trying to convert you, they can test your stamina for emotional restraint. I find I have none, no patience what so ever. I warn them three times, preferably in multiple sentences, with understanding for the madness they must deal with. It never fails, they ignore the warning, because, I dunno, this one I heard, “God has his foot in the door, and he is coming in.”

So the hard part, the reply, and why I came to this forum anyways,
“Well, you have had your say. You have gone on for 22 minute in an obviously heartfelt speech and with the highest of desires of helping a friend.”

I tend to chuckle about here.

“I find you to be funny, and sad. You carry an insane idea for reasons you think are good and true. I like you, we have fun, its good to have fun friends. Its not so good to have insane friends, who would kill everything you love. And that’s what you’re doing, you are trying to kill me, in a very real mental sense. You invite me to the volcano, and desire me to plunge into its fiery depths with you, smiling.
“ I must absolutely refute your offer, and refuse it too. What idiocy, what babble come from the mouth of my friend? You know why the sun rises in the morning, you know the basics of chemistry, what the hell, mate, are you trying to do to me? Ask me again about the love of God, and watch what I say.”

At this point of course, I am the most disagreeable anger causing son of a bitch who ever walked this earth. Most walk out and never speak to me again. People do not like being told the truth. I can go on and on, but I think you see why I piss them all off, I do not hold back, I say what I think, and they HAVE to confront it. I lose every friend who has ever gone so far, but I don’t have to hear that insane babbling of bullshit in my house.

So the gist is, I have come here because I want to continue to improve my thinking, and this seems to be the place where people will understand I am a loving, caring human, who seeks to further himself and his race in his lifetime. A loving caring human who has no further patience with theists. A callous atheist. Maybe yall will accept me.

What’s your story? What made you decide to talk here with other atheists? To go public, as it were, and get into this community?
Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2011, 08:58 PM
RE: The gist of it.
My story? I've always been different. In one way or another I just never seemed to fit in with anyone in my life. My childhood rejection of religion came at 6 when I was aware of the church enough to just push it aside. At 4 and 5 I didn't go I think. I'm an odd one as I'm an animist atheist. As a little kid I would vehemently argue with anyone who considered animals less than humans. It infuriated me and has never stopped doing so.

I grew up surrounded by religious people with no ability to accept their faith. I saw them as having easier lives for all that they let god be the answer to, but I couldn't even start to do the same. Even though I've never believed I understand the faith very well from all my experience around it. I spent my childhood constantly being different in new ways and thinking to myself trying to figure out what I was.

I've very much been the oppressed throughout my short life, and early on I could only see the world as terrible. A lot of my answers didn't come until my early 20's which isn't that long ago. I still have a lot of issues from spending my life trying to reach the point everyone else is at when they are 4. Understanding who and what I was, because everything that seemed to be suggested I reject. I'm not saying I didn't know what I was, I'm saying that what I was didn't fit anything everyone else knew. I tried desperately to find a way to exist within society because that was reality.

Eventually I had to stand up against the world, but my first reason was about gender not atheism. Recently I've broken my boiling point on ignoring the endless amount of babble from christians I know so I'm edging to be militant. I came here in order to have a place to vent since I'm not wanting to be militant.

Before this on countless subjects I had closed off my mind tired of the arguments that went nowhere with people who really didn't care. I came here after watching some of Seth's youtube videos and this forum actually has intelligent discussions. I had almost given up on that. Unfortunately while hoping to vent out my militant desires here I ended up becoming even more anti-religious as more and more stories were said. When I say anti-religious I should be saying anti-abraham I let each religion have it's own level of distaste.

I'm very sarcastic but at the same time honest, and in most things I'm pretty logical. I do view the world in perceptions though and I can accept all sorts of things. I let people prove to me I should avoid them, though being religious is always going to make someone I meet just a bit less interesting.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2011, 10:33 PM

(19-06-2011 08:58 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I've very much been the oppressed throughout my short life, and early on I could only see the world as terrible. A lot of my answers didn't come until my early 20's which isn't that long ago. I still have a lot of issues from spending my life trying to reach the point everyone else is at when they are 4. Understanding who and what I was, because everything that seemed to be suggested I reject. I'm not saying I didn't know what I was, I'm saying that what I was didn't fit anything everyone else knew. I tried desperately to find a way to exist within society because that was reality.

Eventually I had to stand up against the world, but my first reason was about gender not atheism. Recently I've broken my boiling point on ignoring the endless amount of babble from christians I know so I'm edging to be militant. I came here in order to have a place to vent since I'm not wanting to be militant.

I broke the gender mold myself, for a while, and understand. I was lucky to be who I was I guess, for I didn't really care much after 3rd grade to be a part of the whole. It was made abundantly clear to me I would never be accepted, by more than one person, that I was "weird" and "Not of this world." I have spent most of my life alone, but this is not about sadness, it is about strength. You obviously have the strength to stand up and not be alone, and will find others who support you. I still don't speak with my family, and it really doesn't matter, because they live that propaganda lifestyle they are so fond of. I did find a plethora of people "sick of it," and eventually made myself very happy. Sorry... I do not mean to preach, just wanted to let you know, you are not alone, some of us are out there in places people do not expect.

But the second paragraph in the quote, well, it seems we are here for similar reasons, and you give me hope to continue talking and meeting folks here. Thank you for sharing your story, and giving me some insight to the forum.
Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2011, 08:13 AM
I've always been fascinated on ho things really work. That counts for "how life really works" as well. I guess becoming an atheist is inevitable then.

I came on this site in search for a way to fill the gap left open by religious tradition. Turns out the carving for philosophical thoughts was bigger then the guidance I needed to fill in my life. I like it here... I hope it can stay that way...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
20-06-2011, 10:11 AM
I've always been an atheist, but not really had the need to think much about it, until my partner suddenly converted to christianity. Out of pure frustration and shock I found this site to find some hooks back to my own reality and help to describe why I felt so bad about it all. Reading here makes me more secure, confident and calm. (And sometimes very angry).

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
20-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Glad it helped you cunning and I got through all my gender issues at 26 years old. I believe that a transsexual is not truly ready for full transition until they realize how unnecessary it is. I desire to have a second surgery (had one at 3 days old), but there is no imminent need for it, I'll have it when I have it. I'm definitely a woman anyway.

I'm a very positive and uplifting trans-advocate. I speak to colleges a lot and work mainly with young kids helping them grasp what gender can be. The sadness and bleak despair was a mixture of a childhood where I was never the same as anyone else, serious traumas considered child abuse half the time, and being in a religious community where the common view was that the next world will be so much better, making this one sound terrible.

Whatever you are planning to advocate, the best first stop is to go out and inform people. Colleges are a great start. Speaking to people who are uninformed allows them to have something to counter biased claims. there are only so many actual bigots, but the uninformed will champion bigoted concepts if they have no alternative view. Just informing people of something is all that is necessary.

By broke the mold for a while what do you mean? Once you get past the binary it's a constant understanding of just how diverse the world is. Are you saying that you were in a gender-queer mood and played around with your own gender publicly eventually agreeing with the original suggestion? Also, in regards to parents, I still have mine and have managed to keep good relations with most of my family though it is very hard on me. There is nothing wrong with denouncing your parents though, there are so many people out there to gain a community with. You can always find friends.

We can talk any time. Currently my main focus in life is to make sure that those younger than me don't have to be alone. I was until about 20. There's all sorts of people willing to help a child learn the ordinary, but someone needs to be there ready to instruct on the rest.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
20-06-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm here for multiple reasons. The main one being to converse with some like minded people. But in my current life situation I find my beliefs being buried under those of others. I won''t go into details because that's not who I am, but it's stifling and this is a place to vent. The problem comes when I find that my venting on this particular subject feels so good, so sane, so right, that I'm having a hard time not becoming obsessed with it, with not moving further not fighting for it. I don't know what to do.
It's nice to be here. It's the only online community Ive ever found that wasn't horrible. The people here are usually pretty smart and interesting, not to mention funny in the worst/best ways. That's why I'll stay.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user