The go a little easy on theists thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2013, 08:49 PM
RE: The go a little easy on theists thread
(06-04-2013 07:08 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Shove a massive shaft of reason, logic, and rationality into their cavernous faith-filled vaginas.
Jesusfuck dude, where did that come from? Manga much? Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-04-2013, 08:55 PM
(06-04-2013 08:49 PM)kim Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 07:08 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Shove a massive shaft of reason, logic, and rationality into their cavernous faith-filled vaginas.
I was wondering the same thing, unexpected don't you think?

"We're run by a pothead, a housewife, a guy that buys lube in 5kg containers, a cat and a Nazi. Oh and Dom.” - ‘Muffs

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
06-04-2013, 10:56 PM
(06-04-2013 09:27 AM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 09:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The reason we're (TTA) are hard on theists is because they come to an atheist forum with pure intentions on converting us and truly believing they can do so. We simply ask them that if they want us to believe in God they better provide us with some proof.
Not one has done so. Not our fault.

My point is even going easy on them, I expect they've got nothing. Thumbsup

I've been pretty hard on them too. I'll relax for a while and try the logical approach with out the memes, and ad hominems. After all I do owe them a quite a bit for helping me learn new things about the world.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
06-04-2013, 11:13 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 05:54 PM by Mark Fulton.)
Most of us have had Jeebus shoved down our throats as kids. It's difficult to remain objective when it happens again.

I find it very hard to remain patient when Christians refuse to consider the real history of their religion. I have no problem with them being ignorant, but it's when they refuse to take an interest in the history that I get inpatient.

Most Christians know nothing of the political and cultural environment in which religious belief was created. They think that everything they need to know about the Bible is in the Bible. This is quite a bizarre delusion, a delusion that is promoted by priests. It's called faith.

I think that when we talk to theists, we need to try to remain respectful to the person, but we must absolutely shout down this faith nonsense.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post
06-04-2013, 11:35 PM
I can sum up my feelings with 1 quote:

"Go love your own enemies, don't be loving mine. My enemies are the theocratic fascists, I don't love them I want to destroy them."
Christopher Hitchens
[+] 3 users Like DerekS's post
07-04-2013, 06:10 AM
There are seasoned theists on the board, but the way this thread is constructed I don't see any inducement for them to enter into a discussion. If you want to attract a seasoned theist you'll have to show that you are at least willing to entertain their ideas and probe with interest what they really believe and why while avoiding ridicule and more or less agreeing to disagree.

The drive-by theists, though, they just don't know what they don't know. They don't know how bad their arguments are yet.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
07-04-2013, 07:35 AM
(06-04-2013 08:49 PM)kim Wrote:  

I believe it came from my posting it. I do read Manga quite often, though. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
08-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Quote:Even the most hard headed rationalists among us get through the day without always demanding absolute proof of everything. Right?

My point exactly, which is why I don't understand (actually I do understand) why y'all have to have X and Y in your small box before you move forward with the (beginnings of) faith. Don't you understand that most every Christian testimony starts (not ends) with seeing a little something or hearing a few encouraging verses from the scriptures, having one's curiousity provoked, and then moving closer to God?

I'll repeat myself, referring to the first post on this thread, "Do you demand absolute empirical proof in every matter that touches the heart as well as the intellect?"
08-04-2013, 09:16 AM
(08-04-2013 08:45 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Even the most hard headed rationalists among us get through the day without always demanding absolute proof of everything. Right?

My point exactly, which is why I don't understand (actually I do understand) why y'all have to have X and Y in your small box before you move forward with the (beginnings of) faith. Don't you understand that most every Christian testimony starts (not ends) with seeing a little something or hearing a few encouraging verses from the scriptures, having one's curiousity provoked, and then moving closer to God?

I'll repeat myself, referring to the first post on this thread, "Do you demand absolute empirical proof in every matter that touches the heart as well as the intellect?"

Repeat after me, "feelings are not facts". Say that a few times, maybe you will gain in understanding.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Chas's post
08-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Fucking Chas...

The immovable object (PJ) vs the unstoppable force (Chas)... hmmn... Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]