The go a little easy on theists thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2014, 10:07 PM
RE: The go a little easy on theists thread
I predict the quick and spectacular demise of NOTlookingforanswers' betrothal. That is, if it ever existed at all, which I highly doubt.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Can we just rename 'lookingforanswers' to 'regurgitatingancientbullshit' and call it a night already? Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
02-02-2014, 11:55 PM
(02-02-2014 09:11 PM)Vosur Wrote:  ...My actual argument is the following:

P1: All atoms have always existed.
P2: The Mona Lisa is made up entirely of atoms.
C1: Therefore, the atoms that make up the Mona Lisa have always existed.

No
03-02-2014, 12:19 AM
(02-02-2014 07:24 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
Logisch Wrote:Why would we assume there is a being outside time and space to start with though in the first place? Wouldn't that also be unanswerable? Seems like the best we can do is explain and observe with the information we have now, and sooner or later we'll have more data. But jumping to conclusions and filling gaps with things that we have no evidence for is... well.. a waste of time if it doesn't actually bring us any closer to actually knowing how things work.

I'm not assuming an entity outside of space and time. It's where such a critter has to be if it was around before everything actually was. Y'see?

It's where all the Apologetic folks claim their 'Person in the sky' is/was.

I'm quite happy with the "Science goes back to T=something+plank time" stuff...With anything further a simple "I/we don't know..." adding the caveat of "...Yet." onto the end. Smile

So....for there to be 'something' to have kicked things off, given that it's beyond space and time...well....

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

Cthuhlu for president, 2016!

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
03-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Big Grin

http://www.thelovecraftsman.com/2011/11/why-choose-lesser-evil-12-great.html

Bowing

Very much cheers to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
03-02-2014, 12:37 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 12:50 AM by Vosur.)
(02-02-2014 11:55 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 09:11 PM)Vosur Wrote:  ...My actual argument is the following:

P1: All atoms have always existed.
P2: The Mona Lisa is made up entirely of atoms.
C1: Therefore, the atoms that make up the Mona Lisa have always existed.

No
Do you have a reason for disagreeing with me? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
03-02-2014, 12:38 AM
(03-02-2014 12:37 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 11:55 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  No
Do have a reason for disagreeing with me? Consider

No

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
03-02-2014, 12:58 AM
(06-04-2013 08:55 AM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  I assume there are some theists here?

Even the most hard headed rationalists among us get through the day without always demanding absolute proof of everything. Right?

Challenge to theists: Never mind absolute proof, give us some reason to suppose that the existence of God might be a plausible inference.

Warning: "Things we don't know" is not a reason to believe made up shit, so don't try and pull that one.

Any takers?

Since I'm new here let me see if I can ease into the pool...

If your looking for the plausibility of God, then why are you asking us when God Himself offers it to anyone who Asks Seeks and Knocks (a/s/k) as outlined in luke 11.

What better proof of God then God Himself?
03-02-2014, 01:02 AM
(03-02-2014 12:58 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 08:55 AM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  I assume there are some theists here?

Even the most hard headed rationalists among us get through the day without always demanding absolute proof of everything. Right?

Challenge to theists: Never mind absolute proof, give us some reason to suppose that the existence of God might be a plausible inference.

Warning: "Things we don't know" is not a reason to believe made up shit, so don't try and pull that one.

Any takers?

Since I'm new here let me see if I can ease into the pool...

If your looking for the plausibility of God, then why are you asking us when God Himself offers it to anyone who Asks Seeks and Knocks (a/s/k) as outlined in luke 11.

What better proof of God then God Himself?

Oh, that's what A/S/K means. I was wondering about that.

How is one supposed to go about "asking, seeking, and knocking?" Do I ask the clerk at the cashier? Do I look under the couch amongst the dust bunnies? Do I knock on the door of the local orphanage? Consider

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
03-02-2014, 01:02 AM
(03-02-2014 12:58 AM)Drich Wrote:  Since I'm new here let me see if I can ease into the pool...
Hi, I'm the resident Grammar Nazi. You'll have to suffer me while you're here. Smile

(03-02-2014 12:58 AM)Drich Wrote:  If your looking for the plausibility of God, then why are you asking us when God Himself offers it to anyone who Asks Seeks and Knocks (a/s/k) as outlined in luke 11.
*you're

(03-02-2014 12:58 AM)Drich Wrote:  What better proof of God then God Himself?
*than

[Image: 0t82Piy.png]

As for the actual content of your post, according to an on-going poll on this forum, about three quarters of the non-believers here used to believe in God. It's not that we have never tried asking, seeking and knocking, it's that it hasn't worked for us.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post