The go a little easy on theists thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 08:57 AM
RE: The go a little easy on theists thread
(03-02-2014 08:50 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Yes, we should be more open-minded and loving like those Christians that write all that hate mail to people like Richard Dawkins. The things that drove me away from religion were the hatred and arrogance that so many Christians have for people who don't share their beliefs, and the fact that they could offer not one shred of evidence. All they did was regurgitate the same old garbage they had been indoctrinated to believe. You're not fooling anyone by trying to pose as someone that is actually looking for answers. You're just a creationist thinking you're witty by pretending to be somebody who is actually questioning their religion. When I looked for answers, atheists were the only ones that gave them to me. Creationists just spewed out the same crap they always do, never offering any real evidence for any of their claims.

He just straight up said on this same page that he's a deist... not a christian. Not defending his belief in a god or deity... just saying, kind of unfair to put him in a boat of fundamental creationist when he said he's not, and that he's a deist.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 09:00 AM
(03-02-2014 07:46 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  You roll your eyes, but I did come on here looking for answers.

You are a fucking liar and everyone here sees right through you.

Quote: I have moved away from Christianity and really was interested in the atheist point of view.

Yes as evinced by your wading in here pandersmpamming long-debunked kalaam arguments over and over ad nauseum.

Quote:Since I got here, all I see is a bunch of closed-mindedness and people who are blinded by their personal prejudices (whether it be arrogance, anger at organized religion, etc).

You have no idea at all what closed-mindedness is.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
03-02-2014, 09:03 AM
(03-02-2014 08:57 AM)Logisch Wrote:  ... just saying, kind of unfair to put him in a boat of fundamental creationist when he said he's not, and that he's a deist.

Yes, we can tell he is "just a deist" since he is panderspamming fundamentalist creationist horseshit like the kalaam over and over and over ad nauseum.

03-02-2014, 09:06 AM
(03-02-2014 09:03 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 08:57 AM)Logisch Wrote:  ... just saying, kind of unfair to put him in a boat of fundamental creationist when he said he's not, and that he's a deist.

Yes, we can tell he is "just a deist" since he is panderspamming fundamentalist creationist horseshit like the kalaam over and over and over ad nauseum.

*shakes finger*
Taq this is the "Go easy on a theist " thread.
LOL

Goodevil

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
03-02-2014, 09:08 AM
(03-02-2014 08:45 AM)Logisch Wrote:  But from an outside perspective having kept tabs on this thread and read every page... his responses come off as him being interested in discussion

Coming in here spamming hackneyed and long-debunked semantic shell games doesn't indicate an "interest in discussion" at all.

03-02-2014, 09:11 AM
(03-02-2014 09:06 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 09:03 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Yes, we can tell he is "just a deist" since he is panderspamming fundamentalist creationist horseshit like the kalaam over and over and over ad nauseum.

*shakes finger*
LOL

Goodevil

I *am* going easy. Evil_monster

And the actual thread starved to death (as it should) long ago.

03-02-2014, 09:17 AM
(03-02-2014 09:11 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 09:06 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  *shakes finger*
LOL

Goodevil

I *am* going easy. Evil_monster

And the actual thread starved to death (as it should) long ago.

Yeah you seriously disliked Alla too and I came to like her fine. It happens.
Look - how we can disagree yet be civil and remain friends.

its epic I tell ya
epic

Heart

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
03-02-2014, 09:59 AM
(03-02-2014 08:45 AM)Logisch Wrote:  You know, Vosur, I respect your posts quite a bit. You and I have had several discussions in the past, and I know you're a good guy. But from an outside perspective having kept tabs on this thread and read every page... his responses come off as him being interested in discussion and you keep using every intellectually barbed response you can to be an asshole to him. It wins no one over and honestly does come off as you being a giant asshole.

That's just my opinion here... but it makes me want to read your posts less and less. You're starting to sound like an angry muffy with barbed responses... just less profanity. You're very quick to point out fallacies and faulty debating to other people, I'd like to point out that you're resorting to more ad hominems than suits your argument, making it difficult to read without a cringe, and difficult to take seriously.

I first joined this forum for intellectual conversation and debate. I find lately that more often than not, threads are ending up with page after page of personal attacks when someone decides they don't agree with someone. It's anything but intellectual, anything but mentally stimulating and serves the community no purpose.

For these very reasons, I come here less and less.

Thank you, Logisch. I gave you a "like" for that one. You said it as well or better than I could.

(03-02-2014 08:50 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Yes, we should be more open-minded and loving like those Christians that write all that hate mail to people like Richard Dawkins. The things that drove me away from religion were the hatred and arrogance that so many Christians have for people who don't share their beliefs, and the fact that they could offer not one shred of evidence. All they did was regurgitate the same old garbage they had been indoctrinated to believe. You're not fooling anyone by trying to pose as someone that is actually looking for answers. You're just a creationist thinking you're witty by pretending to be somebody who is actually questioning their religion. When I looked for answers, atheists were the only ones that gave them to me. Creationists just spewed out the same crap they always do, never offering any real evidence for any of their claims.

Unfortunately, the problem is that so many humans are arrogant and focus on hatred. Try to remember that no matter what belief system you look into you will find really nice people and you will find assholes.You mentioned Richard Dawkins. Have you read 'The God Delusion'? There is certainly some intellect there, but Dawkins' words drip with arrogance, contempt, mockery and hate. I'm not surprised he gets hate mail, as 'The God Delusion' is basically the equivalent of hate mail printed in the form of an open letter. There are certainly some very thoughtful and intelligent atheists, some of whom I have talked to on this site, but even on this site you will no doubt see several examples of assholes who are just as bad as those that drove you away from religion (Taqiyya Mockingbird, I am looking at you).

Ironically, I often feel that I relate better to atheists than to a lot of Christians, despite growing up Christian, and it is because of what you mentioned there: the "regurgitation of indoctrinated beliefs". The part of Christianity that was my biggest problem with the faith was the idea of "blind faith".

Currently, I consider myself a deist, because while I ended up eventually rejecting the teachings of Christianity, the evidence of a creator's existence always seemed stronger to me than the atheist arguments for his non-existence (although I came on this site originally to challenge those beliefs and see if the atheist community had any better arguments than those I had heard in the past).

If you actually still are looking for answers, I'd encourage you not to throw out the baby with the bathwater and reject the existence of a creator because of your disillusionment with the church that claims to speak on his behalf.

Right now I'm reading The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine (one of the founding fathers of the U.S.), which I have found to be a fascinating read. Essentially, he rejects the religions of his time as being mythologies, mis-representing God and using those mis-representations to further their own good. He believes in science (although, keep in mind that it was written in the 1700's) and believes science to be the "True Theology". Essentially, he considers it absurd to believe in a deity that would communicate through the written word, which is easily capable of forgery, or through the word of individuals, whose reliability cannot be known for sure by the listener. Instead, he favours a deity who speaks through his creation (the Universe), which speaks to anyone who chooses to study it and cannot be forged. Therefore, he considers science as the "True Theology" as it studies the direct word of the creator, passed along through his creation.

Too often, people associate science and atheism (and I have been guilty of it as times, too), when they are really two different things. So, if you like the answers that science provides don't get confused and ascribe those answers to atheism, as atheism is a negative belief system (ie. it is defined by it's lack of belief in a creator) and doesn't really provide any answers. Keep in mind the perspective of Thomas Paine. Because, if a creator exists, then those answers that science is providing for you may just be the answers that you are getting through the study of the "True Theology".
03-02-2014, 10:06 AM
(03-02-2014 08:45 AM)Logisch Wrote:  You know, Vosur, I respect your posts quite a bit. You and I have had several discussions in the past, and I know you're a good guy. But from an outside perspective having kept tabs on this thread and read every page... his responses come off as him being interested in discussion and you keep using every intellectually barbed response you can to be an asshole to him. It wins no one over and honestly does come off as you being a giant asshole.
With all due respect, Logisch, that observation seems both uninformed and unfair to me. He has not only asserted that all atheists here are close-minded, he also claimed that we are incapable of evaluating facts objectively. Additionally, in his latest response, he insulted me in the exact same way I insulted him earlier (not that I'm complaining about it). I don't mind your criticism of my approach and am inclined to agree with you that it could be improved, but you should at least be consistent with it.

(03-02-2014 08:45 AM)Logisch Wrote:  That's just my opinion here... but it makes me want to read your posts less and less. You're starting to sound like an angry muffy with barbed responses... just less profanity.
I wouldn't worry about that too much; he's the only person I treat this way. Have a look around the forum and see for yourself.

(03-02-2014 08:45 AM)Logisch Wrote:  You're very quick to point out fallacies and faulty debating to other people, I'd like to point out that you're resorting to more ad hominems than suits your argument, making it difficult to read without a cringe, and difficult to take seriously.
No, that's not entirely true. I did insult him, yes, but I have not made a single ad hominem argument (e.g. that he's wrong because he's stupid).

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
03-02-2014, 10:34 AM
(03-02-2014 10:06 AM)Vosur Wrote:  With all due respect, Logisch, that observation seems both uninformed and unfair to me. He has not only asserted that all atheists here are close-minded, he also claimed that we are incapable of evaluating facts objectively. Additionally, in his latest response, he insulted me in the exact same way I insulted him earlier (not that I'm complaining about it). I don't mind your criticism of my approach and am inclined to agree with you that it could be improved, but you should at least be consistent with it.

This is the first time I've responded to you in such a manner, therefore, I'd say from a consistency standpoint, it's consistent. Wink

Fair enough response, however. I will end in saying that you smell like a banana and I hope you have a wonderful day.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post