The good old days

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
31-12-2015, 08:31 AM
The good old days
So mostly the good old days were no better than the good new days.

But there are some things I wish had not disappeared.

I used to get up, flip on the coffee machine, open the front door and pick up a fresh bottle of milk, a bag of fresh, still warm rolls and the newspaper from the door step.

Then I would settle in for coffee and breakfast and read the paper....

I miss that. It was a leisurely, convenient and interesting way to start the day.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
31-12-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: The good old days
In the really good old days, mom milked the cow so the milk was warm too Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
31-12-2015, 09:38 AM
I miss letters. There's something about rifling through old papers and recognizing the handwriting of someone long gone. I still have the recipe my grandmother wrote out for her famous corn chowder (minus the ingredient of corn, just a minor oversight!) and seeing her handwriting brings back good memories. I can't imagine being a historian in a few decades and reading nothing but emails and texts. How cold and impersonal - all nuances gone.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 6 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
31-12-2015, 10:19 AM
(31-12-2015 09:38 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I miss letters. There's something about rifling through old papers and recognizing the handwriting of someone long gone. I still have the recipe my grandmother wrote out for her famous corn chowder (minus the ingredient of corn, just a minor oversight!) and seeing her handwriting brings back good memories. I can't imagine being a historian in a few decades and reading nothing but emails and texts. How cold and impersonal - all nuances gone.

Someone recently asked me to send them a letter because they were depressed about getting only bills in the mail. It actually was kind of fun...but I was reminded of how awful my handwriting has always been!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
31-12-2015, 10:41 AM
I don't tend to wax nostalgic. Most of us first worldlings would agree that our youths were happier days. Not necessarily better, just happier. Ignorance can be bliss, and I for one just didn't know any better at the time.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
31-12-2015, 10:52 AM
(31-12-2015 09:38 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I miss letters. There's something about rifling through old papers and recognizing the handwriting of someone long gone. I still have the recipe my grandmother wrote out for her famous corn chowder (minus the ingredient of corn, just a minor oversight!) and seeing her handwriting brings back good memories. I can't imagine being a historian in a few decades and reading nothing but emails and texts. How cold and impersonal - all nuances gone.

It's not just the nuances in writing. It's the entire landscape. I just returned back from a trip to North Carolina and it always strikes me how every part of the US now looks EXACTLY like every other part of the US. There are no regional views, no local charms. Just the same chain stores in strip malls alongside every road. You get almost the exact same view no matter where you go in the country these days. I really hate it.

Technology has done a lot of good but we've also lost a whole lot more than we realize along the way.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
31-12-2015, 11:33 AM
They were simpler times and moved at a slower pace which I like. That's oe of the things that living in the country hasn't much changed and why I can't wait to get back to that.

Not everything was good though, wives and children were property, gays and blacks had no status at all and major medical advancement were nowhere near what we have now.

I think the only two things I miss are people being more respectful and kindness. These things seem to have gone by the wayside for "my right to be an asshat" and indifference. Miss the freedoms of childhood in the summer though, you don't get that again until you're retired, if you live that long.

Other than that I can have and do about anything that I had in the 60's when I grew up.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
31-12-2015, 11:50 AM
In the old days we were so poor, we didn't even have daylight. We only had moonlight, and we were THANKFUL to have that moonlight........

[/inverse bragging]

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
31-12-2015, 12:08 PM
(31-12-2015 11:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  In the old days we were so poor, we didn't even have daylight. We only had moonlight, and we were THANKFUL to have that moonlight........

[/inverse bragging]

My mom used to tell me my dad grew up so poor they didn't have the means to know how poor they were.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
31-12-2015, 12:12 PM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post